Two months ultimate study plan

Dear WaniKani experts,

Please help me to come up with ultimate study plan for the next 2 months.
I plan to move to Japan by that time and I will need to use Japanese for work if not immediately but in near future. And my goal is to pass N2 in summer 2020. Soon after arriving to Japan I plan to sign up for afterwork or/and weekend language school classes.
I’m currently N4 certificate holder and at summer 2019 JLPT I almost got N3 BUT lack only 2 scores, so didn’t pass.
I signed up for N2 (1st December 2019 JLPT) not hoping to pass it but just to push myself to study more and to see how N2 looks. Feel really disappointed with myself as I only could tell general topic of texts and audio, a bit better with vocabulary but still… Total fail.
Here is something from my study background: 2 times language schools for 2.5 months in Japan, both books Minna no Nihongo completed, a lot of self-study, Japanese teacher online 1-2 times a week… and of course WaniKani, but honestly Im very slow, realistically I can do not more than 1 level in 20 days only - considering that I will do also other study (grammar, listening).
Some questions I have which I hope will help me to design the plan:

1. Should I maybe only focus on WaniKani so I can boost my vocabulary and kanji till level 27 hopefully?
  2. Or should I do WaniKani AND reading?
  3. Which grammar I should focus on? N3 or N2? And which book should I use? (I have training book for N3, reading training for both N3 and N2).
  4. I thought to sign up for some online classes – if someone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

4 Likes

read a lot. get a good grammar dictionary, then do extensive and intensive reading sessions with graded readers.

6 Likes

N2 material makes the assumption you’re familiar with all N3 material, so if you’re not fully familiar with N3 stuff, and move on to N2, you’ll still end up having to check N3, to fill in the holes in your understanding.

I personally think this is always preferable, and also more in line with the advice of WK itself. It’s important to see the language used in context. They definitely don’t suggest you wait until you finish WK before you start reading. ^^

Unfortunately I have no suggestions on good classes.

Good luck with your study plan and the move! :crabigator:

6 Likes

Thank you for the advice! Can you please give me some example of grammar dictionary?

Thank you very much! Im not really confident with N3 grammar either, so seems I have to focus on it first. Im just not sure now what book should I chose for grammar. I hoped I will figure out grammar patterns naturally if I will read more texts but seems it wont work this way.

I would say the best are „A Dictionary of Basic (and Intermediate) Japanese Grammar“. Two volumes.

3 Likes

I’m not @OmukaiAndi, but I use this grammar dictionary: A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (amazon Japan)

It is recommended very often and personally I really like it :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck with your study plan and moving to Japan!

4 Likes

Maybe getting some (or a lot of) conversation practice with Hellotalk or Italki could be useful both for cementing grammar and words and because you definitely want to be able to speak to people once you get there!

1 Like

According to https://www.wkstats.com:10001/charts/jlpt you need WK level 51 for JLPT N2

Ultimately the best plan will depend on the requirements of your work. What exactly do you mean by “use Japanese for work”?

Either way though since you’re relocating to Japan, heavily focusing on listening and speaking for the next two months may be best. Some suggestions:

1. Continue WK at your current pace (may even slow down if other areas are taking up more time)
  2. Use Ninhongo no Mori N3/N2 videos to practice listening while learning/reviewing grammar. The videos are in Japanese. (edit: Sambon Juku (also on youtube) may also be a good choice)
  3. Use italki/CafeTalk to find tutors/“conversation” partners preferably from the area youre moving to. The main focus being to improve how well they can understand you speaking Japanese.
  4. Focus your vocabulary study to your field of work or expected work environment.

Imo unless you have a specific deadline for getting the N2, this plan should be much more rewarding than a JLPT focused push.

6 Likes

“a dictionary of (beginner/intermediate/advanced) japanese grammar”, 3 books. get the first 2, the 3rd i’d consider optional.
the 1st contains most of what you’ll need, but book 2 is worth it.

2 Likes

yeah, that’s it

Oh, interesting! 51st level is way tooo far for me :disappointed_relieved:
However when I look at the graph at https://www.wkstats.com/#progress

It shows me progress with N2 over half of it!
It still shows level 48 for 95% N2 kanji I just expected I wont need to know ALL kanji to pass the exam… I thought like 80% will be enough.
Can someone tell me if this chart below (i marked in red) is correct or not?:lying_face: Please

@plantron sorry, just found an answer on my own question, my stat shows cumulative level. Basically as i understand now I know approximately 66% of all kanji used at N2 and talking specifically on N2 kanji - I know only 38%. Clear now :star_struck:

Also here you can see all the N2 items you still have to learn:

https://www.wkstats.com:10001/items/jlpt

1 Like