Am I on the right track with my plan?

Okay so I have found what seems to be a great system for me. I plan on doing Wanikani/kaniwani for kanji and vocabulary, bunpro for grammer, and then japanesepod101 for listening and when I run or am driving. I am very new to Japanese and one day would like to go to japan and work there, plus read manga/anime. All I really know right now are both hiragana and katakana very well. Do you think this would be a good track for me and that I will have all of my learning bases covered, or is there a place you can recommend to help me make sure I am well rounded in my learning. I have 2-3 hours to devote to learning Japanese each day, so I believe I can do this. Any help or advise would be great, since this is the first language I have tried to learn alone :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That sounds like a good plan! I’d recommend giving that plan a go for a month or two, and then checking in with yourself to see how you feel. You might find it’s a bit much, you might find it’s not enough, or you might find that you don’t like one of those resources.

Once you have a better idea of what works for you (and what doesn’t), then you can fine tune your plan a bit more.

You might also find it helpful to set yourself some short and mid term goals to work towards so you can assess whether your plan is helping you make progress in the way you want.

6 Likes

alright, thanks! What do you think some achieveable goals might be for me right now, since I obviously won’t be able to read a newspaper anytime soon haha

It’s difficult to suggest goals without knowing what you are interested in, but here’s some ideas anyway:

• Being able to read some graded readers
  • Passing N5 of the JLPT
  • Having a simple conversation with someone in Japanese (maybe check out online language buddies]
  • Participating in the Japanese only section of the Wanikani forums on a [weekly/biweekly/etc.] basis
  • Knowing basic vocab for [items in your house/the weather/your hobby]
  • Starting to watch some media in Japanese
2 Likes

As others have stated, give it a go for a while and see how you do, and change things up as necessary. The best advice I can give for a new learner is to keep your study options narrow and focus. It’s great if you’ve got five different tools for five different things, but as reviews pile up across all 5 of those tools, it can get overwhelming, and that’s when people quit. So for now, I wouldn’t think about adding anything.

But do be sure to evaluate your progress every now and then! I wish I had come to terms with the fact that WaniKani doesn’t really work well for me a year sooner than I had, I’d probably know most of my kanji by now from other methods. Now I’m playing catch-up (and I’m still here because it’s a great community).

Different people have different needs… Bunpro is good for practicing grammar but horrible for learning, I suggest to use one of the textbooks that Bunpro uses as reference. For listening, I prefer to download the stories from Satori Reader to my phone.

4 Likes

What other methods do you believe worked better for you? I’m new as well and I am not sure this is best for me. But perhaps I am not trying hard enough or focusing enough…

1 Like

Hi there!

I am new to learning the Japanese language too, starting fresh for the 2nd times as I have failed to stay on track and commit in the past.

Your plan seems similar to what I have in mind! We also share similar goals, so I hope to hear from you and see you around as we both progress!

I have similar questions and thoughts in mind as a new learner, so I appreciate that you posted this!

1 Like

I would 100% recommend WaniKani for most other people. But ideally you need to sit down at a keyboard to get your WK reviews in once per morning and once per night, and my busy workload prevents me from doing so even once per day, most days. I switched to Anki cards, which I can learn from and review every time I have a spare minute at either of my jobs, and although it doesn’t seem ideal that time adds up. I use my own mnemonics which comes rather naturally to me too, so that’s not a hurdle. I typically learn at least six new kanji per day, which is reasonable. I struggled to fit WK into my life for a year and only learned 350 kanji.

But again … I think it should be sufficient for most people not working like 80 hours a week. You show up and the mnemonics are all made for you and you just do it every day and eventually you’ll get there.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am just at the beginners frustration stage where I get hung up on not grasping a kanji or vocab word right away.

I know its not supposed to just click immediately, and learning will take time, but I hope that as I learn more I can adapt and retain the information through WK’s methods.

Quick note, you need to get use to that beginner frustration stage.
Japanese isn’t like most topic, the learning curve is super slow so don’t stress yourself.

If you want to see some progress quick, the most rewarding book and praised by almost everyone is “Genki I”. It gives you access to the beginner level of japanese without any trouble.

Bunpro is good but if you are a complete beginner with the language you are jumping too many steps in my opinion. Same for japanese 101… it’s nice but you should cover some basics before jumping into it.

Also take some time to read this article :

You will get a better understanding of what to do and why :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the reassurance. This is probably the most difficult thing I have tackled from a learning perspective, so its hard to not get discouraged.

I have just started using DeerLingo on mobile because I am not always able to access a book to study while I work and I have heard that it is comparable to what is taught in Genki 1 and 2, just in a different format. I do plan to move to Genki though once I really make this a strong habit and can invest in learning.

How far does lingodeer go, for the JLPT? Like to N4 or just N5

1 Like

As I have just begun using it, I am not exactly sure. A quick search on Google gave me mixed responses, from N4 to N5, and apparently talks of updates to get you to N3? But I cannot validate any of that…

Maybe someone else in the community with more experience with LingoDeer can be of more help? Sorry :frowning: Wish I could be of more help.

1 Like

Studying LingoDeer all the way through their Japanese II course will get you to about N4 grammar, same as Genki II would.

That being said you will need more vocabulary. The vocab covered in LingoDeer Japanese I is just shy of 500 words, about 2/3 what one would need for N5. Similarly for Japanese II/N4. If you keep up with WaniKani while working your way through LingoDeer, though, you would have more than sufficient vocab.

2 Likes

Glad you showed up for the clarification Erie-san, ありがとう!

1 Like

No problem. And honestly, if you try and like LingoDeer, there’s no particular reason to also “move onto” Genki. I did that for fear of missing out (LingoDeer was newer, still free and in beta) and it was all redundant. You’ve got so much ahead of you to learn there’s no need to be learning something twice!

1 Like

I think that a really important point. I think a lot of the struggle for most people is figuring out their plan and not go overboard on resources, or going “under”-board per-say. I definitely find more struggle in trying to decide what resources to use/ how to integrate them then the earlier lessons on LingoDeer and WK.

2 Likes

You’ll figure out quickly what works for you and what doesn’t. Learning a language is a long-term affair. If you’ve given some tool or resource a fair shot for 3-4 months and you’re not enjoying it, you’re not going to keep at it or anything similar everyday for a year, or 3, or 5. You have to have fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more and appreciate the solid advice.

Not to keep requesting information, but in terms of LingoDeer, do you know of any good Japanese keyboard apps for android? I like it a lot but I want to refrain from relying on Romaji and translators for the reviews and lessons involving typing in the characters to write out a sentence.

1 Like