Yes. I can confirm that in Chrome I get the Japanese version, and I couldn’t even find language specific font settings. So my system settings seem to be OK (I also get the Japanese version while typing in an editor or in the shell).
Î had this same problem on Ubuntu until I installed some japanese-font packages, I think. You can try that. Have you checked in the web page inspector what fonts are being rendered, since the page can affect it?
I’m using Firefox on Windows laptop and I got the one with the “L” under the “eye” in my lessons. But as I use the Jitai-script it got changed to 直 when it changed to a different font than the standard one. Totally confused me in my last review.
No, as far as I know, HTML elements can only have one language specified. The community page is set to US English using <html lang="en-US" ...>. The WK team could probably change a setting in Discourse to let it be <html lang="ja-JP" ...>, but that would be wrong since ~99% of the forum is in English. So the settings in your screenshot won’t have any influence as long as your webbrowser doesn’t identify the language as being Japanese.
When your webbrowser has to display a kanji, it has to guess what language it is. If the text is within an HTML element that has lang="ja-JP" specified, this is easy. Otherwise, it has to look for other hints – maybe the system language, maybe the languages you have specified as your preferred languages within the webbrowser, etc.
Screenshots of browser settings
I’m on Windows, and Chromium-based Edge displays 直 (the Chinese version) until I add Japanese as a preferred language:
When I added Chinese, Firefox switched to the Chinese kanji.
Of course, you also need a Japanese font installed on your system, otherwise the webbrowser still has to fall back to a Chinese font.
Ideally, everyone posting text in a different language than the page’s default US English would enclose it in an HTML element with the correct language specified: <span lang="ja-JP">直</span>, but that’s pretty cumbersome. That’s why I let my IME2Furigana userscript add lang="ja-JP" automatically to every ruby-element. #ad
$ sudo apt install firefox-locale-ja
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
firefox-locale-ja is already the newest version (81.0+build2-0ubuntu0.20.04.1).