Trying to understand a sentence (basic-beginner)

Hello,

I’ve been trying to understand the first episode of an anime (by the speed I’m going, I’ll be done in december).

Could someone please help me with this sentence?

Why is there して (suru? te-form?) at the end of this sentence. I thought that the TE-form was used to link sentences and there is no second part to this one? There is no IRU following it either?

ちょっとまたこの子は昼間からゴロゴロして.

Thank you :orange_heart:

3 Likes

It can also be used to express an objection to something. In this sentence, it sounds like speaker doesn’t approve of/doesn’t think the child’s actions are correct, in which case, the speaker is using the して to express that

8 Likes

Thank you, that would indeed make sense in this context. Would I have to add -はいけない somewhere though or can this be omitted in casual speech?

That’s what makes translating so difficult for me, I never know if what they are saying is grammatically “correct” or if it’s just “casual” speech (as I know that when speaking in my mothertongue, I don’t always respect the grammar/syntax/conjugation etc).

1 Like

I don’t think this is a て form to express prohibition, as in してはいけない. At least not from the context you’ve provided alone. (Maybe @Delphynia knows the anime you’re talking about, while I do not).

To me it just reads as a way to signal that more might come, whether it does or not. In English we too sometimes use things that signal we might say more, even if we ultimately don’t.

Based on context, the sense of “…” felt by a hanging て form could be something critical, accusatory, etc… but you’d need more than that one sentence to know for sure.

It could also just be short for ている without finishing, with the lack of finishing having a note of frustration to it.

14 Likes

I do not know the anime, that was just my interpretation from the limited knowledge given. I 100% agree that more context would be beneficial in giving a more accurate answer because it can clearly be read in several different ways :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I like that one :grin:

It’s about a mother telling her son that he’s lazy and getting in the way of her cleaning, so both readings would make sense I think. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This sounds like Shirokuma Cafe, mainly because of the ゴロゴロ and the lazy son.

There are multiple uses of て as others have mentioned, you’ll find throughout your Japanese journey that most things you learn have many uses that aren’t initially taught to you.

IMO, this て is definitely as @Leebo mentioned. Similar to the feeling in English of holding back a sentence, or kind of passive-aggressive, like “I really wish they wouldn’t do that…” There is more they can add, but they are choosing to withhold it to soften the sentence.

This is pretty common in Japanese. (Unrelated to this specific case, but) There will be many times you find where in conversation someone will just stop half-way through a sentence with a “but…” and based on context they assume you can finish the sentence in your head.

2 Likes

I agree with the interpretation for what it’s worth. You’re not going to always see grammatically complete sentences in spoken dialog.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure CureDolly breaks this exact sentence down in one of her videos about shirokuma café.

1 Like

Thank you all very much :slight_smile: (yes, it’s indeed Shirokuma Café :grin:)