Ending a sentence with te form verb

Hey guys i’m watching Dagashi Kashi Episode 1 and am about 3 minutes into the episode when the MC asks his father a question.

で話して何?

How does the grammar work in this instance?
My only understanding of the て form is to use it as either:
A request: 猫を助けてください。
An action in progress 猫を助けています。
A sequence of events: 猫を助けて家に帰ります。

Which implies it’s kind of like a verb potential, i’ll admit my grammar isn’t fantastic.

But not as a sentence end. Is there a particle or phrase being omitted through context that i’m not told?

My best guess at this point is it means “What are we talking about?” in a fairly casual, maybe even rude way.

1 Like

で話して何?

This is probably just the colloquial quote particle “って” being used. So:

で、話って何?

With a native speaking casually, it might sound like there is no “っ”, but it’s there.

7 Likes

In casual speech you will often find particles being dropped and sentences ending on nouns and such.

2 Likes

Ah thankyou so much. The Subtitles actually put that in there but I thought it was a typo as they’ve been innacurate for other sentences.

2 Likes

で、 (starting a sentence with で、is like "So, ")
話って (話 can mean story, but also conversation. If the other character had said before 話がある it would be like “we need to talk”, and って is the casual quotation particle, so “about the story/conversation”)
何? (“what is it”).

Putting it together, で、話って何? would mean basically “So, what did you want to talk about?”.

That is, if the line was 話って and not 話して. Gotta admit, 話して何 doesn’t make a lot of sense.

2 Likes

話がある is exactly what the dad said before the MC responded sometime later with で話して何.

Thankyou senpai.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.