The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

I’d say it might be just some game engine’s weird issue :wink:

Or it’s just right-justified. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

What are the nuances of calling a musical performance “flower bed-like”? Is “cop-out” a good translation here? Is it common to use 花畑な to describe things? :thinking:

It appears to be internet slang.

おめでたな妄想や空想・夢・幻想のこと。あるいはそういうことを盲信している人を差すネットスラング・蔑称。「天然ボケ」「平和ボケ」「頭が春」「お花畑脳」「脳内お花畑」「アホの子」等とも言われる。「萌え」という単語と、密接に関係してるという噂が。

1 Like

お花畑 was used several times in the manga シャドーハウス to describe the main character. It was definitely used in a derogatory way, though honestly I didn’t really get what it was supposed to mean. I just searched for “お花畑 意味” and when talking about a person it seems like it’s short for 脳内お花畑, which means:

花畑がのどかで平和なイメージを持つことから、能天気な思考回路をもつ人物を表す語。脳の中に花畑でも広がっているのではないかと疑うほど、思考が浅いさまを意味している。

Wikipedia also shows the definition:

妄想や空想、非現実的なこと、批判・非難されている事をプラスに捉えすぎて本質を見抜けていない、あるいはそういった思考をしている人物を差すスラング。

I’m not really sure how that applies to your question (describing a performance instead of a person) since I don’t have any context with just that one sentence.

1 Like

I did find this if it’s of any help:

「お花畑な演奏ですね。陳腐」
「おねしょしたの?」

のくだりでしたっけ。

いつもと様子が違い、演奏も心ここに在らずの公生を見て小春が言っただけなのだと思ってました。

あまり深く考えずにそう思ってましたが。

Am I mising something? On question no.(15) the 1&2 and 3&4 answers choices. They are the same answer, aren’t they?

羊 is sheep

4 Likes

May be I phrased my question wrongly. I mean 1&3 are 羊分 and 2&4 are 半分, aren’t they. They look like the same answer.

I’m so sorry for the confusion. Or they are different Kanji? I can’t notice the different between 1&3 and 2&4.

Ah, I get what you’re saying. Yeah, it’s just a misprint.

2 Likes

I might just not know the best search terms for this, but what should you say to a pregnant woman in Japanese? Normally in English, I’d wish someone a safe and easy birth, but culturally is that alright or expected in Japanese? When she first told me the news, I could pretty much only say 頑張ってください and おめでとう. Also is there something you’re culturally expected to say for a pregnancy? She gave me her Line and told me her due date, so I’d like to send a nice message.

2 Likes

Just searched Japanese internet and it seems おめでとう、頑張って、体にお気をつけて/お大事に are the most common ones. If you are actually close to the pregnant woman and it’s reasonable to assume you are going to meet the child, anything along the お楽しみ lines is also standard it seems.

Here a page where pregnant women list things they were happy (and unhappy too) to hear:

5 Likes

Thank you so much!!

1 Like

hope it’s ok to ask about kanji here, since I don’t want to make an entire new thread for it
Can anyone tell me what the first kanji is/the reading? Can’t reproduce it by drawing the radicals on jisho

WaniKani / Kanji / 曜

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Am I correct in my assumption that the readings of most Japanese names are just something I’ll learn naturally along while studying my SRSes and doing immersion? Like I didn’t need to go look up 田中 or 山田 when I saw them for the first time (at least I don’t think I did.) And it seems from my experience that if a character has a particular outlandish name (like say, 戦場ヶ原)there will be furigana for it, even in stuff that doesn’t have any other furigana. I feel like no one talks about it, and I must assume that’s because it’s something you just sort of pick up on, right?

I hope this is the correct thread.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the correct thread :smiley:

Often, but definitely not always surnames will use kun’yomi readings. Sometimes they’re mixed kun’yomi + on’yomi.

Same with names, but sometimes, especially female names I think, will be written in hiragana or katakana.

If a name is strange or is introduced in a book for the first time, you’ll get furigana*. In news articles if the name is known or uses very obvious spelling - no furigana.

But in general, yes, it’s something you pick up as you go :slight_smile: .

* Sometimes instead of furigana, the name might be introduced with references to things like plants, flowers, etc. so the reading becomes obvious.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. It’s a really satisfying feeling to just be able to naturally pick up on it, or being able to guess correctly what kanji are in a name so I’m glad to know I will continue to have that feeling going forward. Thanks.

2 Likes

In general I’d say it comes with practice. Family names are, from what I understand, fairly regular in the way they’re pronounced and you’ll either be able to tell what they are from the readings you know (usually kun’yomi, but not always) or learn them as you encounter them. For instance, since you know 田中 and 山田, you also know how to pronounce 中山. And even when a given family name is a mix of kun’yomi and on’yomi, if you encounter it somewhere else it’s probably going to have the exact same reading.

Given names are a slightly different beast, however, but that’s a challenge for Japanese people as well since there’s just not necessarily a way to be sure how someone’s name would be pronounced from the kanji it’s written with, and vice versa. For instance, the name かんじ has 8 different spellings I know of, and to take one of those as an example, 幹二 has three possible readings.

There are probably also more common readings for given names, but from what I understand there’s a lot more variation in them. Though given that introduces uncertainty no matter how fluent your Japanese is, whenever any particular name doesn’t have a reading it has 99% of the time or something, you’ll probably be given furigana - or the name might be introduced without kanji at all.

3 Likes