The "news reading" challenge 🗞

I sure hope it wouldn’t last a whole 時代 though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Whoops.

I think that one’s been a leech for quite awhile, my bad.

1 Like

Thanks. I took a crack at it and can understand a majority of the kanji but have a ways to go in both that and the grammar department. Maybe I can try in a month or so when I would have 3-4 more WK levels and a few more Genki chapters under my belt?

4 Likes
Username Minimum # of articles/day Sources
Rodngarcia 1 NHK Easy News 2
2 Likes

japanese.io is also very useful, you can import articles and natively a selection of news article excerpts are available.

www.japanese.io

2 Likes

The thing about NHK Easy News is that they are not only easy in the language sense, but they are also easy in the way that they make even most disturbing news sound more neutral and less scary. This is exactly the kind of news I need. After all, I’m just a small, clumsy, scaredy cat :cat2:

Anyway, so far, thre has only been 3 NHK Easy News released today, the fourth would probably be released a bit later.

The news about North Korea still holding many people that it has kidnapped, is very disturbing, even when softened by Easy News… The news about Olympics is… Well, to be honest, I’m one of those people who thinks that maybe organizing the Olympics during the Pandemic is not the best idea…
Especially now that Japan has now been assigned level 4 - the most dangerous level…

2 Likes

The article I read was the one that was big on the front page. I think it was about how the US send out a message to its citizens to tell them not to travel to Japan? I saw something about a new coronavirus and the olympic games were mentioned as well (although I didn’t understand the alinea/sentence mentioning the latter). I understood more than I thought I would though.

2 Likes

Congratulations!
This is a very important step!
Yes, the article was basically about how Japan is now assigned the highest level of danger and how US citisens are strongly recommended not to visit, even if they had received their vaccination.
The latter part was that as the Olympic athletes are being constantly monitored, it is ok for them to participate in the Olympic games as planned.

2 Likes

Oooh, I get it! Thank you!!

2 Likes

Thank you very much Rachel!! :blush:

2 Likes

I’m super glad we are a few that will be trying to read some articles every day :slight_smile:

I did read one yesterday. I picked a paper about politics in 朝日新聞. It was about this guy, 高橋氏. He is an advisor to the government secretariat, if I understood correctly. It seems he tweeted stuffs like “Come on, the current epidemic in Japan is no more than waves on a pond, no way we are gonna cancel the Olympics over that!”, and a few other similar stuffs. But it seems it created a bit of an uproar, so he ended up resigning.

Now it’s time to get to today’s reading! Yosh! :fire:

3 Likes

However, the third article was not released… And considering that right now it’s already tomorrow in Japan, we would have to conclude that only 3 articles were released today… I sure hope it’s an exception and that tomorrow we would have 4 articles again. They used to post 3 articles per day, but I think 4 articles is even better than 3, so I was very glad when they started posting 4 per day… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i also read this article! (before i checked the forum, just in case someone else had and i ended up not going in blind :sweat_smile:)

can agree! i read about half of an article yesterday (something about stopping import of uniqlo clothing cos of where the cotton was being produced?) before my brain completely crapped out, so it was reaffirming to get to one today and genuinely understand the majority of it even before cracking open the dictionary.

looking forward to tomorrow’s article!

4 Likes

I’m a bit tired, so I only really skimmed through this one:

Guess americans might not be able to visit the olympics this year, though the athletes will still be able to participate, with safety checks in place.

I’ve just realised most of this news is going to be regarding the coronavirus, won’t it?

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems so, doesn’t it? But judging from the news from the previous days, it’s more like 75% of the news, which is an improvement with respect to 1 year ago. And if one day it’s all about corona, you can dive the past month’s news to get something different :slight_smile:

On the plus side, repetition is a blessing for us learners, right? One year ago, after reading just a few articles on that coronavirus on NHK News Easy, I quickly became able to use them during my Japanese lessons.

Fingers-crossed! If they dropped to 3 articles only once during the last weeks, we can hope that from today again they will get back to publishing 4 articles a day :pray:

Anyway, reading 4 articles in a row is super impressive! Hat off.

3 Likes

Likewise, hat off to you for reading the non-easy news! Even if it’s only one article, it’s still much harder than several Easy News articles :sweat_smile:
But for now, I don’t feel confident enough yet to read non-easy news meowself :sweat_smile:

Anyway, time to do some reading:

It’s early, so only two articles have been released yet.
The article about 鬼滅の刃 didn’t give me any particular problems, although I did have to look up a few things. I’ve never heard of that show before - I knew about 仮面刃 (thanks to Detective Conan) and about 刃 (again thanks to Detective Conan), but not about this one :sweat_smile:

The article about baby carts was even easier. It’s a pity this happened though. That company is going to lose a lot of money on this… Especially now when the finances are a problem because of the pandemic… Still, I hope they would be able to survive this and improve their designs so that their future baby carts won’t break as easily…

Update: The other two articles got released.

Just read the article on the correlation between going out during the Olympics and the peed of the COVID spreading.
The article itself was not hard, but the tricky part are the numbers. I’m not sure if I got it right, but here’s what I think:

The 15 people per day are the people who will get COVID just from foreigners visiting Japan. Judging from high high the other number rates are, my guess is that it means the main cause of COVID spreading would be not the foreigners, but Japanese people themselves.
The 1601 person per day in October - is the amount that would get COVID if the amount of people going out would raise 6%. Compared to the hypothetical situation where the games would be canclled, it’s 781 person per day bigger. In other words, according to calculation, the COVID spreading rate without the Olympic games would be 1601 - 781 = 820 people per day.
If the amout of people going out increases 2% more - then the amount of people infected per day would become 224 people bigger. In other words, if the games would happen and the amount of people going out would increase 6% + 2% = 8% - then the amount of people infected per day would be 1601 + 224 = 1825.
That is, assuming I didn’t misunderstand anything, which I probably did.
In the end, what matters is what the associate professor said “If the games would be open, it would be essential to minimize the amount of people going out as much as possible”.

The last of today’s articles - the one about the weather - was much easier, the only part that gave me a bit of trouble was 同じか高い、which it took me a few moments to realize that it means “same or higher”.

3 Likes

What a nice challenge, I am in! :bowing_woman:

3 Likes

Read my first article in a long time, thank you so much for the inspiration. And I of course found a kanji that I only learned yesterday :woman_shrugging: how did I manage to read anything before my WaniKani journey?? Now I know all about recalled pushchairs :laughing:

3 Likes

Hisuhn, 1 article, NHK News Easy
I’ve been planning on doing this. Maybe this helps

4 Likes

read mine for today! went with the one on the rainy season and uh, lotta なりそうs floating around in that one huh :sweat_smile: i rushed it a bit cos i was running a bit shorter on time than usual but i still think it went okay.

ready for tomorrow now! :muscle:

3 Likes