~ The Level 15 Curse ~

Been there done every thing…no need to suggest the obvious… Also doing too many srs systems were overloading me and burnings me out… And leaving no time for any fun learning… (speaking practice 2x a week, book club, etc) Stopped doing kw and anki… Just keep wk and bp now.

Seriously this isn’t a new problem… I’m almost level 20 and been doing wk for almost a full year. I just keep hoping wk does something to help it’s users with this stuff, because right now there is literally no wk solution for this… It’s only user scripts and outside resources… Ideally would be great for wk to implement something to remedy this once and for all.

What else are you doing for Japanese? Reading? Listening? How do you do your grammar studies? I find that even if I burn words they won’t stick until I use them in actual Japanese (and even WK mentions this somewhere in their guide). You need more pathways to remember something than just the flashcards, your brain will just forget those when you don’t use them.

Seriously people don’t believe me… I’m not making this stuff up…

I am reading with the book club, and I’m working through genki 2, more than 1/3 the way through, studying bunpro 35 percent or so through N4, using italki with a native speaker 2x a week (2 hours) … Watching as much TV as I can when I have time, always listening to music… Seriously it’s not like I’m a slacker… I have a full time career as an engineer… I’ve been studying now for as of today 491 days even on vacation I haven’t skipped studying… My memory isn’t great and I learn best by using them… I’m simply saying I’ve already tried just about everything and I’m not goofing off.

Not obvious to everyone, but good that it’s obvious to you.

Agreed. It seems to be squarely aimed at people who are good at learning languages, rather than people with crappy memories. I should build something for myself that works better but, like an idiot, I keep accepting too much paid work so I don’t have time.

So the only reason I posted this was not to derail or complain about WK…while every tool isn’t perfect including WK… (ducking from the lighting bolt from the crabigator)… WK is still a great way to learn kanji and vocab…I’ve come a long way in 11 months!

I posted this so that other people that think they are struggling or they are cursed etc…can see from someone like me that’s struggling (I think more than most) who isn’t one of the “I made it to level 60 in 1 year”…or “I only got 95% I did so awful”…When in reality not everyone learns at the same pace and learning skills vary from person to person…so if someone thinks omg I have 40 leeches or so many reviews … look around…that’s not a problem…relax and just keep going…don’t get stressed…

That’s why I posted…there is no curse … just this stupid cult that sucks you in and you have to get to cake! oh and if anyone is discouraged…there is this great script that I often forget is installed until I finally level or get so many burns…really helps brighten the mood when you’re feeling stressed (or cursed!)… good luck and I’ll see all you cursed folks at level 60!

2 Likes

I know! Instead of being able to resurrect burns, we should be able to murder apprentices.

1 Like

I cruised until level 16 but I had not really realized how much the reviews of Guru and under were piling up. It doesn’t help that any wrong answer beyond Master will take you back to Guru or lower and by level 15 reviews of higher levels start to come back more often. My level 17 was horrible and I ended up pausing the lessons in order to lower that statistic (guru or under). I’d say somewhere between 400 and 600 is manageable. 700 or above will make you do a lot of reviews every day, so much so that the memorization gets affected.

1 Like

Oh no! I’m nearing level 15 so thanks for all the advice as I’m gonna need it soon.

Random note: WaniKani’s been good to me as today I am able to read/recognize “松屋 新橋3丁目店” straight away out in the wild. Small progresses for motivation.

3 Likes

I made it out alive. Although I raced through 15, so it felt like I was still on 13 or something. The question is: Why are you learning (you don’t have to share) and don’t stop Reviewing (throwing cake out window is useless)

Just started level 15 with some level 14 vocab left over so let’s see if I can get through it. Probably will be slower than my last few levels but should get through it at some point before Christmas

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.