The Kanji Code ebook is free this weekend

Just got it from Amazon France, thanks very much for the tip!
This period is rich in generous actions and free online stuff, so it’s nice to track these.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks. I got it.

1 Like

Has anyone read this before? How is it?

1 Like

If you are in Germany:
I just bought it for 0 € at amazon.de

Thank you @Anime_gasuki for the hint!

2 Likes

Just grabbed my copy. A glance at the website make it look like it will be really useful with how my mind works! I’ll be definitely adding some user synonyms to my WK radicals. Thank you for putting this out there!

1 Like

You may want to check this out too:

3 Likes

It is free on Amazon Canada

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing! Got mine from amazon.uk but for some reason it does not seem to work on my Paperwhite…

Edited: apparently it is just not compatible, so I guess I will have to try it on the PC app instead. Thank you again!

1 Like

I scrolled thru the whole book very quickly. Historic backgrounds aside (of which I heard on Tofugu podcasts or read in Wikipedia),I don’t think it will help me with kanji learning much. Is it famous book or something?

Do you not use phonetic components to help remember on’yomi readings?

1 Like

Yes, and I like the script. I get that the book is about that too, but I’m not gonna read it thorough (probably), until I have more free time which is never. I mean it’s academically interesting but not practical.

Looking forward to hearing more what people will get from this book. Maybe I will change my mind. As I said, I glanced thru super quickly.

1 Like

Wait, is this how people normally learn the on’yomi readings? I’ve never done this way… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

It’s a way that people commonly use, consciously or subconsciously. For example, it’s useful to know that any kanji containing 㑒 will have the on’yomi けん. Of course, not all phonetic components have 100% accuracy, but many of them are very useful. On several occasions I’ve encountered a word with kanji I had never learned, but I knew how to read it anyway because I recognized the phonetic components.

5 Likes

is really helpful. I’d say a must in userscripts universe.

3 Likes

Thank you. Downloaded from Amazon UK.

1 Like

That’s right. “Print Replica” just means that’s it’s not an ebook meant to be read digitally (reflowing text, mobi/epub format, ability to change fonts etc.) but rather a replica of the print version. Basically it’s the PDF file that they use to print the book which means it’s not optimized for mobile phones and you have to zoom in all the time to read it. Why they’d sell it like that beats me. :woman_shrugging:

In any case, I got it from Amazon Germany and everything works fine! It seems like a useful resource and I’m glad I got to get it for free. Thank you OP for making this thread and alerting us all!

3 Likes

Hola,
I could not do it from UK site. I get this on the right side: This title is not currently available for purchase

I can see it free on .com but it sends me back to the UK kindle store because that’s where I hold an account. Tried from both our windows and linux PC with two different accounts.

Was it straight forward for you?

Amigo!

Yeah I just clicked the UK link then my kindle download information was on the right.

It would only let me select ‘Transfer to Kindle for Mac’, and not the Kindle itself, though. Maybe you need to register your Kindle account on the app first?

1 Like

Thanks!

It’s amiga btw…

So amazon thought I was purchasing from France and copyright laws make it impossible to buy this for free in France apparently. Am a bit mystified as to how amazon thought I was buying from France when I’ve been using UK banking info 99% of the time and only occasionally buy a french title or send something to France.

It was my iPad that gave it away. On the PC, I had no warning or message anywhere but the iPad immediately flagged the issue.

Just synced it and it’s indeed there on the iPad!

Woohoo!

3 Likes

Another mystery solved!

Good job, amiga :wink:

3 Likes