The JLPT 2021 Thread (RESULTS OUT NOW!)

Before I joined WaniKani and shortly after doing my first N5 course, I was thinking of going for N5 this December, but at the pace I’m going at I think I’ll aim for maybe N3 next year if possible.

1 Like

Better delete, seeing as people can still see the edit history…

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m part of a couple other forums that use Discourse as the platform and they both have the edits locked so that you can only see your own edits in full but otherwise can only see THAT a post was edited, but not the edits actually made…

1 Like

Something to be aware of is that by level 20 or so your ability to read kanji outstrips what the test expects you to read in kanji. Basically, you will encounter some words in hiragana that you are used to seeing in kanji, so it is worth noting those ones in particular.

4 Likes

I am going to be attempting my first JLPT Level, N2 in December so I am hoping my studying and everything go well. I could try July but I think that would be cutting it close, so I want to give myself as much time as possible. But we’ll see I guess.

4 Likes

I wanted to try for the N4 in July but it seems, that the only testing center plans on holding tests in July in Germany might only be testing N1 and N2.
I hope I can keep up my study work till December. Right now everything feels like it’s on hold.
Not complaining, just a little bit sad.

2 Likes

Luckily progress is not dependent on a test result! If we keep doing a little every day, we will get a little better every day!

7 Likes

True, but deadlines can really help :wink:

6 Likes

I just came up with my in-depth study plans for the year leading up to December N2. I have a lot to do, but I’ll be using:

Tobira (already partway through my review)
Tobira Kanji Workbook (already partway through)
Kanji in Context workbook volume 1 (already partway through)
例文で学ぶ漢字と言葉N2
The Preparatory Course for Japanese N2 読む
The Preparatory Course for Japanese N2 聞く
Kanzen Master N2 Reading Comprehension 読解
and the Official JLPT Practice Workbook (aka mock test) N2

5 Likes

Not sure if it has been posted yet, but I’ve just noticed that the July 2021 sittings in London have been cancelled. No word on December though, so I assume they’re still hoping to conduct these!

6 Likes

Unsurprising, but disappointing nonetheless. Fingers crossed that these vaccines start having a noticeable enough effect by December that we all get a chance to get those certificates!

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this, 12月に頑張ろう!

1 Like

Absolutely, we can only hope for the best! Just need to decide which test to take in December now - assuming it goes ahead!

Which were you hoping to take? :blush:

1 Like

You’re welcome! Let’s give it our all!

My original plan for July was the N3, but then I switched from working part time to full time so I was going to choose N4 just to have something on paper to show me which areas I needed to improve on the most to guide future study plans.

Now I’m thinking N3 again for December with the extra time, but maybe I’ll change my mind at the last minute and go for the safe option when registrations open. :sweat_smile:

How about yourself?

1 Like

I passed the N2 in July 2019, failed the N1 last December, and am preparing to retake it this July. :sob: :sob: I’m tired of studying stuff that Japanese people say “Oh, no one says that!” :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Sure you’ll be able to crack the N3 with the extra time, but absolutely no shame in going for the N4 if you feel more comfortable with it! Good luck, either way! :smiley:

July was going to be a toss-up between N5 and N4 (probably the former given it would be my first JLPT sitting), but I think I’ll aim for N4 in the Winter now. Not sure I’d be able to stretch out N5 grammar for another 10 months!

2 Likes

It doesn’t hurt to be over-prepared and move on to N4 content even if you end up taking the N5! It would be achievable to get through the N4 grammar in 10 months though, even around other commitments, so you should definitely aim high!

For sure feel you on the ‘first sitting’ thing, I’ve not taken an exam since my GCSEs (my undergrad and MA weren’t exam based) so I have no idea how I’d cope in an actual exam environment now. Have taken plenty of practice exams to familiarise myself with the format in hopes that it helps some, but until you get there on the day… :sweat_smile:

Good luck to you too! Hopefully we’ll be having this conversation again in October but with the stress of last minute revision on top haha.

1 Like

Damn, I was planning on taking the N4 in London this July :disappointed:

Well, looks like its time to aim for the N3 in December instead :muscle:

Last year I would have thought about improving my score on N1 but that doesn’t seem possible.
Best of luck to everyone else.

Edit: For anyone who is thinking about going for N5, might I advise going for N4 (at a later date if it is not possible for the current one)? It doesn’t take that much preparation and even in WK, you can cover the required Kanji pretty quickly.