The JLPT 2021 Thread (RESULTS OUT NOW!)

If they don’t get cancelled, I’d love to take them. I’m enrolled in some courses over the spring semester, and I’ll be studying other sources simultaneously–I’d really like to be ready for the N3 this year, and I’m checking back to the sample questions on the JLPT website every so often. (Of course, it’s hard to rush these things, too.)

2 Likes

I’d love to try N3 this summer (no previous JLPT experience).
My tutor said I should be able to learn everything required in time, so I’ve got high hopes.

5 Likes

Would you guys recommend testing just for the sake of doing it?

I’d like to take the N5 in July to prove to myself that I’m making progress but I’m not sure if it’s worth it since you don’t really… gain anything for passing, per se. I can see the benefit of testing N3+ for work or whatever else, but I’m a bit lost on the lower levels ^^

3 Likes

I deliberately waited until I was at that level to take the N5, as I wanted to be fairly confident that I could pass so I could get used to the structure of the test and not be freaking out about that and the Japanese at the same time.

That said, my money is on SOAS not holding either test in 2021. I was signed up for N4 at SOAS in July (actually filled out the application on my first day WFH due to covid…) and December last year so I’ll probably see you at the N3 in 2022…

6 Likes

Also expecting SOAS to pull out with how things are looking over here - I was registered for both July and December also, but kinda glad in hindsight that I wasn’t made to sit in a confined hall with a large amount of other people.

Hoping to take N4 or N3 this year though depending on how I feel if registrations do open, if not, guess I’ll see everyone in 2022 too. :joy: Good luck to everyone who does take an exam this year!

4 Likes

I wanted to go for JLPT N3 last year and if things go ok then I’d love to go for it this year (don’t love the price of it in the UK though!). I kind of expecting SOAS will cancel it this year as well… but I hope more of you guys will get to take it this year! :+1:

2 Likes

:joy_cat: I know, because that’s what I did, including the python script. (I thought it might save you some time if you could just use the data from my site :woman_shrugging:). And yes, I was referring to a one-time download, not a continuous usage of my API. But if you transform the file yourself, then that’s of course fine with me.

I was a bit hesitant to redistribute the data because I was not sure how to give proper credit. But maybe I should just add the converted JSON file to the script’s Github repo after all.

1 Like

I’d love to eventually take the N3, as a progress check for myself and tangible “end goal” for JP. I could probably be ready for N3 or N4 in December, but IDK what is going to happen over the next year, and this isn’t my primary focus, so I’m not going to register just yet :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I see, I have misunderstood you. I am already done converting the file including the lzma compression step to reduce the download latency. This was really easy and fast.

Licensing information is here

Google reveals the link to the creative commons BY. There is no mention of version so I suppose it is OK to use the most recent (4.0).

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

1 Like

The good news is you can’t register this early anyway.

2 Likes

I assume so, I meant to invoke “not buying my tickets yet”, “not going to hold my breath” sentiment more than anything.

1 Like

I only plan to take the JLPT test when I have the funds to travel to another state. might do it with a holiday vacation in mind and drag some friends.
I do plan on studying for it anyways though. Having a clear goal like that helps a lot when you’re studying by yourself. Might study for the N5 for now

2 Likes

My original plan was to take the N5 test in December, but my tutor thinks I should push myself and go for the N4 instead.
I’m less confident in my ability to do that than he is though, so I’m considering doing the N5 in July and seeing how that goes and deciding from there.

But also I’m in the UK…so I highly doubt the July test will be happening at this point, and to be honest I’m not convinced that the December one will be either!

Still… I’m going to study as if the plan is definitely N4 in December, so here’s hoping everything works out! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I don’t plan on taking them unless corona magically clears up drastically, but I’d like to be prepared for N3 by July and N2 by December.

Idk how realistic it is for me personally (based on my study habits), but it’s a goal nonetheless. :smiley:

3 Likes

I just realized the other day that it’s not actually possible to take the JLPT in Munich, and two of the three German cities where you can have already cancelled the summer tests. I’m not confident that Stuttgart won’t do as well, and either way, I doubt I’d be comfortable with unnecessary long-distance travelling by June. So, uh… guess it’ll be December for me at the earliest.

3 Likes

Why oh why cant US get July tests? Also, a site closer to me. 4+ hour drive each way in the middle of winter, not fun.
But, I’ll likely try the N5 again this year. Assuming the Rona doesn’t stop us again.

5 Likes

Are you sure you looked at the correct pages and especially at the correct year?

Düsseldorf says registrations for July 2021 will open soon: https://jlptduesseldorf.jimdofree.com/

Stuttgart has never run JLPT in summer before, and it won’t this year either: vhs stuttgart: Prüfungen (registrations for the December JLPT will be from June, they say)

1 Like

Haven’t seen that site at at least. Not sure where I found that information. Thanks.

1 Like

Despite the suspicious-looking URL, this is indeed the official site for Düsseldorf :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Düsseldorf will only offer N1 and N2 this summer though
https://community.wanikani.com/t/no-jlpt-in-hamburg-germany-in-2021-only-n1-and-n2-in-d%C3%BCsseldorf/48393

My hopes lie on Vienna for the summer JLPT, but we’ll have to see