The BookWalker Freebies Thread

No shenanigans with a Finnish MasterCard Debit here. They implement the 3D Secure payment approval thing better than many other stores do, which seems to be more or less necessary these days.

My bank (or their dumb AI) got upset due to my amazon.co.jp orders but Bookwalker has always been fine. That’s actually why I’ve been recommending the service, no need for VPNs and lying about a Japanese address.

3 Likes

Sweet. Do their coins expire?

Between this and Kobo I’m going to get sucked into the bloody coupon system aren’t i

3 Likes

They do, but I always seem to have enough time to use them. Also, even when you’re buying with coins, you still get coin back.

5 Likes

okay. sigh. i’m blowing my book budget for the next two weeks to get all of dungeon meshi in one swoop, but i guess i can subsist on coins for a while.

3 Likes

I’ve never had to use vpn for Bookwalker, they welcome foreigners. I’ve had no problems with my European debit card, and most books also accept Paypal. Coins you earn from purchases expire, but it takes several months (I haven’t checked how many). You can also use your card to buy coins directly, and these don’t expire.

5 Likes

A Cautionary Tale

Hmm, that’s odd, I just bought the set for 7000y. The site said I would get like 3400 coins back…

Hmmm.

Hmmmmm…

saved 500y… lost 2,000y… orz

You’ll get them. They take some time to appear.

2 Likes

No, I used a 500y off coupon on the order, so i it invalidated the campaign coins I think… I mean, I hope not, but pretty sure that’s what it means

/edit on the other hand, you can disable the page turn animations, so it’s already a way better reading app than amazon

/eddit oh my god, you can change the size of the tappable areas???

1 Like

As far as I remember, you only “lose” the coins you would have gotten for the amount you would have paid more without the coupon, but will still get them for the amount you actually paid.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s good to know!

So did you get that breakdown before you used the coupon? I wouldn’t know, I don’t think I’ve ever used coupons with coins, but the final breakdown when you pay should be valid. Let us know! :crossed_fingers:

Actually, I think you should be able to see your earned coins in the email confirming the purchase before they appear on the site.

1 Like

■Granted Coin : 69 Coin(s)
┗ 69 coins (Valid through end of June, 2024 JST) 1%

2 Likes

So those 69 weren’t coins you already had? Did you get them with this purchase? I’m sorry if that’s the case. :worried:

4 Likes

You’ll be happy to hear that I took advantage of this and bought volumes 3-10 so now I theoretically have everything I need to get caught up on the series and then start Harta volume 75 (when I’m done with Saki Akai’s autobiography and more caught up on my translations at least…)! I actually used some of my leftover coins from buying Harta, so it cost me just over $10 to buy 8 volumes of manga. Not bad! It’s a bit of a risk to get so many volumes of a series I’ve never read or watched, haha, but I trust your recommendations, so I feel pretty confident that I’ll enjoy it! :blush:

4 Likes

Oh no I’m too late! I just saw this and wanted to say there’s a trick to splitting up purchases on Bookwalker. Can we link this from the home post or something?

1. Check your notices and if you have a great coupon use that but only for the minimum spend because I’m pretty sure you don’t get coin promotions.
  2. Then, for purchasing a lot of volumes at 50% coinback, budget it out keeping in mind you get the coins within on hour or so and you can use those to get the next volumes free. And you get coins you can spend on the next.

Example, you have a ¥500 coupon and there is a 50% coinback. You want to spend as little as possible to get 9 volumes at ¥300 per manga

Purchases:

1. spend ¥100 and coupon on 2 volumes
  2. Buy 4 volumes for ¥1200, wait for 600 coinback.
  3. Get 2 volumes free with 600 coins. wait for 300 coins.
  4. Get 1 volume free with 300 coins. You end up with 150 coins.
14 Likes

Where are you getting all these ¥500 coupons? I think I might have got one when I first registered and never again. These feel too easy to miss.

(My greatest BookWalker regret is missing a -80% coupon for buying the entire 葬送のフリーレンセット, at least I got -20% & 50% coins back…)

On topic, I hadn’t noticed 異世界コミックスフェア(読み放題対象)│電子書籍ストア - BOOK☆WALKER before. Lots of 異世界 stuff for ~60-70円, but I don’t know any of the series. Good combo with the coinback…

6 Likes

Wow! Damn if i can avoid it i’m never spending that amount of cash again on bw lmao

2 Likes

At the top there is an envelope icon (called “notices” if you cheat and view this translated on Chrome), and it has a notification number. When I open it there are three tabs and the third tab has my coupons and receipts. I see a notification on the second tab for the first time, telling me they have given me 50 coins to use by Jan, 31. And unbelievably I have another ¥500 coupon!

I saw my first one in December when I finally bothered to engage in the coupon madness, but for sure it’s worth it, I’ve spent about $12 total and have >60 volumes. Half of them Harta! Excluding Harta I have over 30 volumes and have paid maybe $1.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have around ~30 notices on that page but zero coupons. They’ve probably noticed that I’m a whale and don’t need coupons to spend money on BookWalker. :joy:

Case in point: I’m now fully loaded with ダンジョン飯 & 異世界おじん. Gathering steam for that ゴールデンカムイ purchase towards the end of the month…

5 Likes

I won’t set my expectations too high then as they’ll figure out soon enough that I’m sucked in!

3 Likes