The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Finished the rest of the September 24 show! The bad news is that the comment videos for this one didn’t seem to have gotten posted. Or at least, they’re not on the TJPW twitter account or youtube :sweat_smile:. They’re mentioned in the recap, though, and shupro has transcriptions. So clearly they happened?

Starting with the easier part: the in-ring stuff.

The main event is sort of a combined preview for several of the matches on the Wrestle Princess Card, in particular the main event and the Team Aja vs Team Max tag match. (Misao was supposed to be there, too, but she had covid and couldn’t be in the show, so she and Mizuki didn’t get a preview for their match).

Shoko’s team wins. She starts off by saying, “あの夏から、ちょっとは私も強くなったと思うんだけど。坂崎ユカが強ければ強いほど、それは私にとって力の源だと思ってるから。あと2週間、負けないから.” The second sentence here was a bit tricky, but I think I got it maybe?

Nakajima: “I think I’ve gotten a bit stronger since the summer. The stronger Yuka Sakazaki is, the more strength I have. There’s just two weeks left, and I’m not losing.” (To Miu) “You also have a title match…”

Miu: “Yes. I’m challenging for Alex Windsor’s International belt… and it’s my first time wrestling someone from overseas. I will challenge with perfect English and flawless preparation. Please support me!”

Tatsumi: (to Aino) “Hey, we’re going to be together!”

Aino: “We managed to win the preview match, too. Let’s aim for teamwork that does not make us lose to RakuPom and our good friend Aja-sama…” (to Tatsumi) “Please.”

Then Rika says, “チームワークで、こちらもユキとインペイラーちゃんとリカとスーパーキッドな仲良しタッグで。もっともっと仲を深めて、勝ってやるー!” The main thing that tripped me up here was スーパーキッド, which I couldn’t figure out at all until it occurred to me that it might be a typo and キッド is maybe supposed to be きっと? I tried listening to it, but wasn’t confident what I was hearing :sweat_smile:.

Tatsumi: “Teamwork! Our side has Yuki, Impaler-chan, and Rika and we’re super duper close. We’re going to deepen our relationship even more and win!” (to Raku and Pom) “It’s the end! October 9 is going to be your death day!”

Aino: “Death day! That’s too good.” (smiles)

Raku: “Pomu-chan, Aja-san will be there, so you’ll be okay, right?”

Pom: (in a scared whisper) “I think I’ll be okay.”

Tatsumi: “Ah.”

Then Mizuki said, “今日はパミさんと前哨戦だと思ってたんだけど、この楽しみはTDCでどちらが暴れられるかの勝負だと思っているので。今日未詩が大暴れしてくれたおかげで、瑞希も大暴れできたから。未詩のためにも勝ってくるわ.” The first sentence was the tricky one here.

Mizuki: “I thought today was going to be a preview match with Pami-san, but I think the excitement will be a match to see who can go on a rampage at TDC. Thanks to Miu’s rampage today, I was also able to go berserk. I’m going to win for Miu’s sake!”

Then I was confused by Miu’s reaction and Yuka’s, haha. Miu said, “?? タッグじゃないって” and Yuka said, “違う? ただの仲良しやった?” I think everything after that I did alright on?

Miu: “??? But we’re not tag partners.”

Sakazaki: “No? Did you just become good friends?” (facing Nakajima) “Finally. I have nothing more to say. See you in the ring.” (they exchange a firm handshake)

Nakajima: “Oh! Since you all came out to see us, I think I’ll ask everyone to come into the ring. Everyone, come out!” (the other wrestlers emerge from backstage) “For various reasons, not everyone is here, but TJPW will be at TDC Hall with 100% of our power and we’re going to give it our all! Today, some of us won and some of us lost, but our true power will be shown when we all gather at TDC Hall, so I really hope everyone comes to see us. Now, I know it’s a bit clichéd, but let’s all form a circle. We’re gonna fight, but we’re all gonna have to hit each other with everything we’ve got!" (to Sakazaki, who is at the center of the circle for some reason) “You! You!” (once again, everyone forms a circle) “Everyone, we’re going to fight tooth and nail to win!”

Everyone: “Yeah!”

Nakajima: “Thank you all so much!”

OKAY, now the hard part: the comments :sweat_smile:.

I’m going to post the entire Japanese transcript alongside my translations for full context (sorry shupro), in case I got wildly mislead by something.

I felt moderately confident about this part:

中島「10・9TDCホール前最後の試合だったので、気合を入れて色々確認するみたいなかんじでガッツリぶつかれたと思います。あとはお互いどれくらい持ってこれるかだと思うので、リング上で言いましたけど、これ以上は何も喋る必要がないと思ってます。自分が頑張るだけです。是非見ててほしいです」

Nakajima: “This was the last match before TDC Hall on October 9, so I went into the match with the feeling of wanting to confirm some things and hit each other with everything we’ve got. I think the rest is what we’re each going to bring to it, so as I said in the ring, I don’t think I need to say anything more. I’m just going to do my best. I hope you’ll watch me.”

未詩「インターナショナルのベルトに挑戦するということで、この秋も夏よりもっと熱くっていうのを目標に、初めてアレックスさんと闘うのでちょっとドキドキしてるんですけど。あれは東京女子の緑? ティファニーブルー? 何色? 水色のベルト。東京女子のベルトなので未詩が頑張って取りたいと思います」

Miu: “I’m challenging for the International belt, and my goal is for this fall to be even hotter than the summer. I’m facing Alex-san for the first time, so I’m a little nervous. Is that TJPW green? Tiffany blue? What color? The light blue belt. It belongs to TJPW, so I’m going to do my best to get it back.”

辰巳「頑張れ。我々も、アジャさんとインペイラーちゃんの世紀の争いにみんな大注目してると思うんですけど。そこよりも目立たないとね。リカユキが一番目立ちます」

Tatsumi: “Good luck! Us, too, I think everyone is paying a lot of attention to the fight of the century between Aja-san and Impaler-chan. We have to stand out more than that. RikaYuki will stand out the most.”

This next part was a little trickier because I wasn’t exactly sure of the best way to translate ニコイチ:

愛野「…ヤバい。言うことがまったく一緒やった(笑)。同じ気持ちなので」

Aino: “…Scary! We said exactly the same thing.” (laughs) “We feel the same way.”

辰巳「ニコイチ? サンコイチなので」

Tatsumi: “Like combining the parts from two broken machines to make a working one? Or I guess three machines.”

愛野「一緒にサンコイチの仲よぴで、仲よちで私たちはアジャ様らくぽむを倒します」

Aino: “Together, as three broken machines made whole, with the power of our amazing relationship, we will defeat Aja-sama and RakuPom.”

For Shoko’s comments, I’m not quite sure I understood her answer to the last question here:

中島「(決戦まで2週間空くが不安な部分は?)ないです。今日は出せるものを出しました。(坂崎の三角締めに苦しめられていたが?)あれはちょっと、あんまり印象がなかったので。やっぱり新しい引き出しを準備してたなってかんじがします。ノーザンの形からすぐに取られてしまったので。そこは私も次は気を付けるところかなって思ってます」

(There are two weeks until the title match. Is there anything you’re anxious about?)

Nakajima: "Nope. I did what I could today.”

(Were you threatened by Sakazaki’s Triangle Hold?)

“It didn’t leave much of an impression on me. Even so, I feel like I was preparing to draw out something new. I won immediately after using the Northern Lights Suplex, so I think that’s where I’ll have to be careful next time.”

Switching gears to the losing team’s side, I think I got the beginning?

坂崎「インペイラー…?」

Sakazaki: “Impaler…?”

らく「(発狂するぽむの横で)頑張る!」

Raku: (beside Pom, who is going crazy) “We’ll do our best!”

瑞希「大丈夫やって」

Mizuki: “It’ll be alright.”

ぽむ「やりたくはなかったですけど、ここまで自分の中で嫌だなって思ってると思わなかった…」
Pom: “I didn’t want to do it, but even I didn’t think I’d hate it this much…”

Then this next part was very confusing without being able to reference the video, because I could not figure out what on earth Yuka and Pom were referring to with あげる :sweat_smile:.

坂崎「すごいじゃーん。これもあげるん?」

Sakazaki: “This is amazing. Are you giving this one, too?”

ぽむ「あげないです。これは最近新しくしたやつ…あげたくないです」

Pom: “No. This is a new one that I did recently… I don’t want to give it.”

瑞希「じゃあ勝つしかないな」

Mizuki: “Then you have to win.”

らく「アジャさんと頑張ります」

Raku: “We’ll do our best with Aja-san!”

坂崎「そうやな。頑張って。アジャさにたら大丈夫」

Sakazaki: “Yes. Good luck! Since you’re with Aja, you’ll be okay.”

Mizuki’s comment here was pretty straightforward. Her second sentence was the only one I felt unsure about:

瑞希「パミさんどんな感じかなって思ってたので、今日いなかったのはちょっと寂しいけど。まぁ、いなかった分TDCで何か、ね。絶対考えてると思うけど。でも瑞希も最近、スプラトゥーンとかにハマってるから、暴れる準備はできてます。まぁ大体やられてんねんけど(苦笑)。なので楽しみにしつつ、めっちゃ警戒して頑張ります」

Mizuki: “I was wondering what Pami-san would be like, so I’m a little sad that she wasn’t here today. Well, she’ll do something at TDC to make up for her absence. I’m sure she’s thinking about it. But I’ve been addicted to Splatoon lately, so I’m ready to rampage. Well, I usually get beat up.” (wry smile) “So while I’m looking forward to it, I’m going to do my best to stay vigilant.”

Yuka’s, on the other hand, was a minefield of question marks for me :sweat_smile::

坂崎「私も今日でいつものルーティンから違う入りをすることで技の選択肢を削れるかなって思って。サブミッションとかも入れたので、これで思うようには試合できないかなって気もするので。もう今から作戦は効いてるかなって思います。下手にノーザン打とうとしたらつかまえるし、サブミッション入ろうとしたら先に入るし。やりにくくして、勝ちに貪欲に。東京女子の興行なので、決着つくまで何時間かかってもいいと思うので。なので、絶対にあきらめない気持ちで勝利をつかみにいきたいと思います。

Sakazaki: "I thought that I could pare down my options today by going in with something different from my usual routine. I also included submissions, so I feel like she won’t be able to have the kind of match she’s expecting. I think the strategy is already working. If she clumsily tries to hit a Northern Suplex, I’ll catch her, and if she tries a submission, I’ll put her in one first. Make it difficult, and be greedy for victory. Since this is a TJPW show, it can last for however many hours it takes for the match to reach a conclusion. So, I’m going to seize the victory with the feeling that I’m never going to give up.”

(まだ隠しているものはある?)そうですね。あるとも言い難いし、ないとも言い難いという言い方にしておきます。それでどんどん惑わされてくれたら体力も削れると思うので、私の術中にハマってくれればなと。(中島の引き出しへの警戒は?)今のところ…でもなんか、冗談の619とかきたので。前回(新宿)はコーナーからきたんですけど、決めにかかろうとしてる時に来られる分にはちょっと回避が難しいので。でも今日出してくれてよかったなって気はしてます、逆に。あれはちょっとペース崩されるので、要注意ですね。(瑞希に)アリエル、戻ってきたやろ?」

(Is there anything that you’re still hiding?)

“Well… I will say that I’m hesitant to say that there is, and I’m hesitant to say that there isn’t. If she’s misled by that, I think it’ll reduce her strength, so I hope she falls for my tricks.”

(Are you on alert for whatever she’s able to pull out?)

“Right now… I’m expecting something like that joke of a 619. Last time (Shinjuku), she came from the corner, but it’s a little difficult to avoid her when she comes down when the match is about to end. But weirdly, I feel like I’m glad she brought it out today. It can disrupt the pace a bit, so I need to be very careful." (To Mizuki) “Ariel has come back, it seems?”

In the last part, I’m guessing that Yuka started having trouble with her voice again? Maybe? I couldn’t quite follow some of the grammar, and also struggled with some translation decisions without further context :sweat_smile:.

瑞希「戻ってきた~」

Mizuki: “She came back!”

坂崎「回復早いん。でもな、一定のところ(の声域を)出すとな」

Sakazaki: “I’m recovering quickly. But, when your voice has a certain range…”

瑞希「でもちょうどええやんな」

Mizuki: “But it’s just perfect.”

ぽむ「たしかに」

Pom: “Certainly.”

坂崎「たしかにって何? うるせーやつがたしかにって言ったな? まぁあと2週間でバッチリなので。楽しみにしててください」

Sakazaki: “‘Certainly’ what? What does this noisy person mean by ‘certainly’? Well, in two weeks, I’m going to thoroughly win. Please look forward to it!”

And that’s it! We’re caught up until Wrestle Princess on October 9!

If we’re unable to make sense of some of this, I might leave parts of it untranslated with a note. But I figured I might as well ask and see if we can decipher what’s going on haha.

1 Like