Test Your Japanese Vocabulary Size

I’m sure this isn’t really an accurate resource, but it was fun to do anyway!

The test consists of 50 questions about synonyms and antonyms with four options given to choose from. There is no “I don’t know”-button so if you don’t know you have to guess. Hopefully the test takes lucky guesses into account :smiley:

Anyway, my amazing result is…

Sk%C3%A4rmklipp

Thought it could be fun to share our results and see how we stack up against Japanese kids and toddlers (or maybe you’re all college graduate level in which case you may laugh at me).

17 Likes

i got 7780/top 48.8%/10yo.

this was fun! a lot of the onyomi questions felt more like puzzles than a vocab quiz; i had no clue what kanji the question word should convert to at first, but looking at the 4 answers and using test-taking-savvy i could narrow down the possibilities (for example seeing 静寂 made me realize たべん must be 多弁). it felt like my WK learnings were pulling weight even when i didn’t know the words.

also i was quite proud of myself for knowing the 孤軍奮闘・四面楚歌 question from having spent a wholly irresponsible amount of time reading yoji for fun on jisho >.>;

then the obscure kunyomis and obscure kanji ones at the end came and slaughtered me, あながち? 齟齬? :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Got pretty tough at the end when there was a buncha yojijukugo. The only one I knew in the question was 魑魅魍魎, but I didnt know any of what the answers meant so it was hard to answer lol.

3 Likes

Wow, you’re in the top half! Congrats!

The 四字熟語-questions could just as well have been in Chinese for me :smiley:

Someday I’ll tackle this Anki deck and then I’ll come back and reap my rewards!

@Vanilla You too!? Someday I too shall be as good at words as a 10 year old child… Congrats!

3 Likes

i took the english one next for kicks and got 29800/0.16%/“you’re shakespeare!” :laughing: :relaxed:

6 Likes

I don’t think this is very reliable. I knew maybe just five questions out of 50, and still got 41.20% at the end. I’m pretty sure a 8 year old japanese boy knows more than me.

4 Likes

Clicked random answers for chinese and got placed at the level of a 15 year old

I may be a genius tho

31 Likes

Or maybe in China they start school at 15, and catch up pretty fast.

6 Likes

I guess someone who knows 0 words would still get 25% correct. It might be more accurate the more you know, though?

But, as said, it’s mostly for fierce competition fun.

Blarg, I should know more than that…
The hiragana is really tripping me up in a lot of questions… If it was all in kanji, it would be easier :stuck_out_tongue:
%E7%AF%84%E5%9B%B2%E3%82%92%E9%81%B8%E6%8A%9E_072

4 Likes

I redid it for Swedish to raise my self-esteem :sweat_smile:

Sk%C3%A4rmklipp2

(I have no idea who August Stirlingburg is though. My guess is they mean August Strindberg) :grimacing:

27 Likes

You mentioned something about an “I dont know” button, but for some reason im not seeing it

1 Like

Do you mean the part where I said there was none? :grinning:

14 Likes

Whoops, misread. my b

4 Likes

I actually read that one recently in the book from the intermediate book club.
I remember looking it up and being like “oh, cool, I learned a thing”. Today: couldn’t remember what the hell it meant…

5 Likes

I started randomly guessing once they threw out the hiragana questions.

M8, I didn’t learn 2000 kanji for you to pull this crap on me.

4 Likes

I think my listening ability has helped with those hiragana-only ones.

39 Likes

さすが!

Really. Just wow. That is amazing.

EDIT: Also, I think you’re right about listening comprehension helping. Kanji absolutely becomes kind of a crutch for me.

4 Likes

Hmm even I’m impressed by myself.

10 Likes

Is that line notification from your girlfriend texting you the answers? :3

If not, nice.

6 Likes