Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1

Looks like the first volume of the spin-off series is free on Bookwalker!

Edit: So the first 3 volumes are available to read for free and expire in 4 days. Going to take this as a personal challenge to read as much as I can without worrying about analyzing, just pure exposure!

https://bookwalker.jp/defaf2aec0-7ae2-4f44-835b-02dd616b4649/

2 Likes

@Phryne, any plans to manage an off-shoot club? Or will we want to find someone else to run one? I know you’re running a couple of other book clubs currently.

5 Likes

Putting this post here (cause it should’ve gone into this thread in the first place, at the time).

I did load up my summer holiday with quite a few book clubs already, so I think it might be better if someone else runs the club for volume 2. I think turning this thread into the volume 1 home thread and creating a new über home thread in which to organise the next volumes would probably be best.

Any takers? Running a book club isn’t super hard, you can just copy-paste the existing thread formats and change what needs to be changed. And you need to read along with the book, obvs :grin:

4 Likes

I did think I’d seen you post on it, but with my bad memory, I wasn’t certain if I’d just imagined it. (And it was just two weeks ago…)

For anyone interesting in running an off-shoot club, as mentioned on the Chapter 7 thread, off-shoots typically get one thread per volume. Then, weekly, the person running it typically does a post to signal the start of the new week.

Here are a couple of examples:

5 Likes

If nobody else volunteers to do it, I can try to take a crack at it. My main concern would be that my work schedule can sometimes be a bit on the awful side; most weekends I have off, but some (especially upcoming in the next couple of weeks), I definitely don’t. What I would do there, assuming I have warning on a weekend that I’m going to need to go in – (I don’t always; sometimes it’s literally a last minute thing. I had to go in yesterday, for example, thanks to a literal fire starting, and having to deal with all the paperwork for that incident, but I digress) – is I would just post that weekend’s thread a little early so that people weren’t stuck waiting on me getting time to do so.

I’m also super out of practice with HTML (as anybody who had to deal with my first couple of posts in this book club can attest. :sweat_smile: ), so might need some advice on that… I did open the PC version of WaniKani forums for the first time, and it looks like there is already a few things in the tool bar that, if on mobile, I missed, and would probably be all I’d need, but should it end up falling to me, I may ask some advice on formatting, and the like :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, if somebody with a better schedule wants to take it, please speak up, but if not, I can give it a shot!

6 Likes

Well, given that it has been almost a full day and nobody else has spoken up, I have started to work on getting the home thread made! I hope to have it posted within a couple of hours, and I’ll drop the link to it in here when I feel reasonably confident that the formatting isn’t atrocious! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

lots of copy paste :wink: simple edits…and done :smiley: looking forward to starting book 2…

1 Like

Annnnd, created. Let me know if I have missed anything. I’m sure I have. :see_no_evil:

Teasing Master Takagi-san stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes ・ Off-Shoot Book Club Home Thread - Japanese Language / Reading - WaniKani Community

3 Likes

First thing, : on either side of the emoji text to turn it into the emoji :wink:

2 Likes

HA! I swear those started out there, and where they went, I have no idea. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Aside from that, my recommendations would be:

Rather than “Currently Reading”, you may want to put something to the effect of “Upcoming” or “Reading Next” until reading actually starts. For example, see Flying Witch home thread, as we’re scheduled to start the next volume in a couple of weeks.

Speaking of when to begin, useful polls can be on whether people still need to buy, and if they need time for shipping. And then you have to weigh between “do enough people have a copy to start” or “do we wait for a few more people”.

That’s all I can think off off-hand, but I’ll let you know if I think of any others. When I handled some book clubs, it was a lot of making minor mistakes along the way. Sometimes someone would point out an error and I’d fix it. Other times I’d catch one and quietly fix it, hoping no one would notice.

Edit: Once the final week of Takagi-san is complete, someone will want to move it in the book club master list thread from active to off-shoot. Likewise for the ABBC thread. Others may handle this, so I’d say keep an eye on it a few days after the Takagi volume 1 club finishes, and maybe update those if no one else gets to it first (if you feel confident in doing so).

4 Likes

Well, definitely expect a bunch of mistakes from me, as well. I have never managed this type of thing before, so I’m not totally sure what to expect, just yet. Heh. :sweat_smile:

Mistake # 2: While adding the second poll, I broke the first poll. Pretty sure I know what I did, so it won’t happen again, but lol. -.-

5 Likes

Breaking a poll is pretty much a requirement.

The other requirement is making a mistake in a poll, and not noticing until after people have voted, meaning you cannot fix it.

6 Likes

I’ll change this thread into a ‘Volume 1’ thread once the week is out and the book club is finished :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you very much for your clear explanation!!

4 Likes

Dear FokkoFenneken氏,
would you please share Teasing Master Takagisan decks again? The links aren’t active now…
Pretty please with sugar on top? :pray:

4 Likes

Seconding this sentiment.

Just discovered these reading threads and am a big fan of this series. Would love to start building my Anki with it to read it again in JP.

1 Like

Is there anyone who would be willing to share the Anki decks?

The links provided are not working. It would be greatly appreciated :grin:

2 Likes

Hm. I’m not sure if anyone still reading in the club is utilizing Anki. But just in case, @ChristopherFritz, do you use the anki decks at all?

3 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t have copies of the deck, either.

4 Likes