Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 8

That’s how I interpreted it. That he can’t take notes in that pose. I was also confused by that, since the definition on Jisho for 板書 seems to be writing on a blackboard, as you mentioned.

6 Likes

Just got done after being a little busy over the weekend with father’s day etc - looks like there’s been a lot of good discussion though, and I didn’t end up with any questions that I don’t think have been answered
(chapter spoilers follow)

The irony of Takagi being kind to Nishikata while he’s sick, even though he lied about it to get back at Takagi. Takagi is subtle in her teasing sometimes haha. Makes you wonder how much she truly knows. Is she somehow omnipotent? We’ll probably never know haha

6 Likes
Pages 11-13 translation

カリカリ
sfx - scribble
どうしたっていうんだい!?高木さん。。。
By all means, say something, Takagi-san!
いつもならもう3回はからかってきてるハズなのに。。。
Normally, you had teased me three times already, and yet…
風邪でも引いてるのか?
Are you catching a cold?
高木さんて黙ってると。。。
Why is she being silent?
くるっ
sfx - spin, turn
にこっ
sfx - smile
ドッ
sfx - heartbeat
ヤバイ
This is bad
急に。。。カウンターの「カワイイね」を言うのがもの凄く恥ずかしくなってきたぞ。。。!
Suddenly, it became extremely embarrassing to say my counterattack of “You are cute”.

On page 12, there was the first kanji in this manga that I did not learn on WK yet: 黙, level 46.
And I had a blast using sfx search , big thanks to @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz for giving this link.

7 Likes
Spoilers and fan theories about Takagi-san

It is very sweet that she’s nice to him when it seems he’s sick.

In an episode of the anime (pretty sure it’s in a later manga too), Takagi makes a bet with Nishikata that it will stop raining, and she wins. How could she predict that? Did she also predict which side of the eraser Nishikata would look way back in chapter 1? She definitely seems to know what Takagi-san is thinking all the time too.

My friend and I have a fan theory that Takagi-san has some kind of supernatural abilities and she uses them to help the police solve crimes. We just don’t see that part of her life because that’s not what the story is focused on.

By the way… I’m also loving the SFX search! Thanks for the link!

6 Likes

I’m struggling with the first sentence on page 16:

Page 16

むしろ風邪だって ほとんど言う訳 みたいなもんで!

• むしろ - Rather / better / instead
  • 風邪 - Sick
  • だ - Copula
  • って - Quoting “風邪だ”
  • ほとんど - Mostly
  • 言う訳 - Excuse / explanation
  • みたい - みる (to see) + たい (to want)
  • な - Emphasis?
  • もんで - もので - Cause or reason (particle)?

My best guess is: “You (Takagi-san) mostly want to see a better explanation than (me) being sick.” I feel like I’m missing something though.

How does もんで fit in here? I think it’s the combination particle もの + で, so the whole sentence is the cause of something that’s left out of the sentence.

Typing all that out makes me think I at least get the general idea though. My guess fits in with the context at least.

5 Likes
Page 16

This is actually a na-adjective that expresses similarity:

言う訳 みたい な もの => A thing that resembles an excuse => it’s kind of like an excuse.

The で at the end of the sentence is the て-form of the copula だ. This is being used to connect this sentence to the next one just like you would with a verb in the て-form.

So basically Nishikata is saying:

“Rather,「I have a cold」is more like an excuse! (When I woke up…)”

9 Likes
Pages 14-16, took me so long to finish. The couple of troublesome sentences were already discussed here, thanks!

いや大体言えるわけないだろ!?
No! There is no way I could say that in the first place!
バカかオレは!
What an idiot!
夜更かしから来る睡眠不足と風邪でどうかしてなのか。。。
My lack of sleep due to staying up all night and my cold, somehow …
どうかした?西片。
What’s up, Nishikata?
い。。いやなんでも。。。
Nothing…
ちょっと、赤顔いよ?
You’re blushing a little bit.
え.
大丈夫?しんどくない?
Are you ok? Aren’t you tired?
だ。。。大丈夫大丈夫!
I’m ok! I’m ok!
でも赤顔いよ。熱あるの?
But your face is red. Do you have a fever?
なんで今日はそんなに優しいんだよ!たかぎさん。。。
Why is Takagi-san so kind today?
いやいやホントになんでもない。
No, no, honestly, everything is Ok.
「カワイイ」とか言おうとしてたのがますます恥ずかしくなってきたぞ。。!
To say “You are cute” is getting to be more and more embarrassing!..
ホントに?
Really?
ホントホント!
Yes, yes!
むしろ風邪だってほとんど言い訳みたいなもんで!
If anything, the cold was an excuse.
起きた時にはもう8時半でそれで遅刻して!
When I woke up, it was already 8:30 so I was late.
だからホントだいじょうぶだよ!
That’s why I’m really Ok!
じゃあ別に元気なんだ。
Well then, you are in good health.
うん。全然平気だよ。
Yes. Totally alright.
じゃあからかってもいいんだね。
Well, then it’s Ok to tease you, right?
えぇ!?なにそれ!
Eh! What?
この日はいつもより沢山からかわれた。
This day I was teased more than usual.

6 Likes

I think you have a slight typo which may have affected your translation, I only noticed because I made the same mistake myself and then caught it when the grammar didn’t quite make sense to me and I was rechecking it. Apologies if this was already reported and I missed it.

I think it should be とこに (place+in) rather than ことの (thing+の)

Meaning the line becomes

なんで部外者がこんなとこにいるの

and the translation something like

Why is an outsider in a place like this

Since I’m here, I’ve also been meaning to say thank you @sansarret for still posting your line by line translations, they’ve been extraordinarily helpful these last few chapters as I’ve been playing catch up, they’ve helped me check my working and also catch mistakes of my own or cases where my translation wasn’t as accurate as it could have been. Thanks!

4 Likes