Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 1

There is a bigger list!

But I have to give a disclaimer first.

The list is generated from all the text in the manga (volumes 1 through 5).

This means even the copyright notices, the publisher information, and the ads for other manga from the same author. And that means you will see some high-frequency words that actually are not part of the story! (Example: シスコン)

This should load the tab named 「からかい上手の高木さん 5」.

The items are sorted by frequency (most common on top). The “Count” column is the frequency.

You can ignore the “Known” column.

If the “Dictionary” column says “False”, then the word wasn’t found in some dictionaries. It might be a name, a misparsed word, or an oddly written word. You can usually ignore these ones. (Example: たの.) If a real word lists “False” and you skip it, you’ll still learn it anyways by reading the manga!

P.S. If you have a Google account and want to try tracking how many words you know, I have instructions for that on this other spreadsheet.

It's a spreadsheet I developed to track my own progress learning words from manga I'm reading.

3 Likes

Did Yamamoto-sensei secretly also write Oreimo? :laughing:

3 Likes

For the curious, the word comes up in the ad for ふだつきのキョーコちゃん.

3 Likes

Wow, thank you! This is awesome, I downloaded the list and will begin asap to study from it. I noticed that I don’t really need genki vocabs to go on with my grammar studied even tho the genki vocabs I learnt till now revealed to be extremely frequent.
I’ll just focus on Takagi-san :ok_hand: I’m still a bit concerned about weird grammar forms I could be encountering, let’s see :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

hehehe don’t you mean natural Japanese :wink:
don’t worry…you’ll get there!!!

3 Likes

Indeed, I forgot that atm I just know dictionary jap :joy:

2 Likes

The best part is that many of the most frequent words in one manga are very frequent words in other manga, too. Some high-frequency words are specific to a series (you won’t see からかう a lot in other series). But many of these will come up a lot when you start reading other native material later.

3 Likes

I just started learning some, I also think I won’t really have problems at learning them since I’ll encounter it many times while reading
Just a question - in the list there are some ‘words’ like

Etc…
What should I do with it?

1 Like

You can skip over those ones. The parser I use to split sentences into words returns some items that you might not think of as words. (In this case, the あ is like “ah!” in English, the え is like “eh?” in English, and the の is for turning something into a noun.)

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the information :pray: yesterday I checked the first 50 words and got surprised that I only had to learn 3 (apart from オレ which I suppose is the Spanish exclamation ‘olé’)
Going down in the list the words that I don’t know increase exponentially, but knowing 500 of the most used words would be awesome, that’s my goal for now :crossed_fingers: thanks for the list!

4 Likes

オレ means me, usually masculine :slight_smile:

Ex: オレの犬は可愛いですね? - Isn’t my dog cute?

(Obviously referring to yourself is probably something to drop in casual conversation, but yeah)

4 Likes

Also, good luck with the reading! I just got through the first one, and while some of the gramma is pretty tricky, it’s still pretty enjoyable to read through :wink:

5 Likes

Hey, thank you! I was about to begin the reading yesterday evening but I got glued to the screen by an anime so will begin this evening. I’m going thru sone grammar again and also trying to learn the most common contractions :crossed_fingers:

:exploding_head: damn! I didn’t think this was the meaning, why is it katakana? I already knew this version of “ I “ but haven’t really encountered it yet anywhere

What is you grammar level? I’m totally ok with looking for grammar structures - even pretty frequently at the beginning - but I just hope that this will not be too much

4 Likes

Not super sure why its written in katakana, someone more knowledgeable might know though. I’d guess it’s probably a more formal thing to use the kanji though. You’ll see the kanji for it as well if you read more manga: 俺

I’ve knocked out most of N5 and some N4 on BunPro, but I actually dropped studying there to focus on WaniKani (I recently got married so I’ve had less time and decided kanji + vocabulary were a bit more important at the moment).

Looking for the grammar points does take a lot of time, but it’s totally worth it, espescially for the ones used more often. Really helps cement them in your brain meats lol

@Leebo why do it be that way, I know you know U

4 Likes

I was expecting for some reason to find it in kanji or hiragana (like おれ), interesting to see that it appears in katakana. I never saw 私 written without a kanji so I’m beginning to wonder if it could appear as ワタシ

I hope we are of a similar level and can enjoy the reading as you did :grin: also congratulations for getting married!! :pray:

That’s what I hope, how long did it take to feel like acquiring the grammar that you were encountering while reading? I imagine the earliest part is the hardest and it just gets better

3 Likes

I’ve seen ボク in katakana, オレ in katakana, キミ in katakana, but never 私. I’m sure it’s out there somewhere, but we’ll have to wait for the almighty leebo and see what he says. I’ll do some googling, maybe I’ll find something lol

I think we are :slight_smile: It’s a challenge to get through a page XD Maybe consider checking out よつばと, I just finished the first in that series and it’s very readable for me. Also, thank you! I’m very happy to have found the one for me :smiley:

Um, I feel like the points that have stuck the best were the ones that popped up in my BunPro studies, and that I encountered “in the wild” - probably something about cementing the things I’ve learned. I still can’t pick up a novel (lack of vocabulary and grammar knowledge) but I’m working towards being able to read Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活. Just gotta get myself through my reviews XD I’ve gotta do more than 5 times a week lol

Best of luck to you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks man, good luck to you to toward being able to read novels :wink: it’s my long term goal (along with being able to understand animes).

2 Likes

The decision to write any particular word in katakana when it could be kanji is a style choice, and there are a variety of possible reasons. For this, it could just be people think オレ looks cooler than 俺, or that using the kanji is too uncool.

7 Likes

I guess that makes sense, and I’ve heard some people say that. Just strange how there’s none of that for 私, you know?

edit: at least not that I’ve seen

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s that strange, since 私 is by default a more formal pronoun, so its “coolness” is already kind of not part of the equation if you’re in a situation where you’re using it (from the potential perspective of a native speaker who modulates their pronoun based on the situation.)

6 Likes