Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 4 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Small curiosity on page 16 of chapter 1

What that てや!! means?

1 Like

Lol, yeah maybe It’s the meaning of おつかい in some cases, but by large usually おつかい is just an errand. When you send you kids to go buy something at the combini, they are doing an おつかい.

But other than that, I think you got the meaning! To help a little bit wit the last part, I guess the unstated part could be something like this:
しかしなんで昼間に遊ぶの(を)ガマンして家の手伝いしたのに、おつかいまで(しないといけない)

3 Likes

Couldn’t find it, looks like a random scream to me, like exertion.

2 Likes
Specifically, it accompanies the バシャ sound effect of Takagi throwing/splashing cold water at him.

1 Like

Ah, I couldn’t see what she was doing.

3 Likes

The power of context =D

2 Likes

I guessed it was something like this but couldn’t find the english words, actually the word errand too sounds pretty weird in my head, is it used normally?

Oh okay here’s what it is, I thought it actually meant something apart from “waaaa” :joy:

What about this? Anyone that has read the manga knows what Nishikata is talking about here? I ended chapter 1 and still don’t know what it is

1 Like

Yep.

I posted some pictures of what it is… :cry:

It’s a one-phrase/word diary.

If you’re asking what it is in context, then yeah, I don’t know. Probably exchange diary with Takagi or something.

2 Likes

I remember finding the word errand weird too when I learned it, because I thought it came from french errant/errante (wandering), which doesn’t make much sense, but apparently it’s a false friend! errand has Germanic root.

2 Likes

Apologies man,i tried to read it without understanding a lot, but I was sure it was about that てや stuff
Anyway yes I was wondering in context what it exactly means, of course having not read it, you can’t know that, maybe Arzar33 ? (What is this one-word diary Nishikata thinks of adding some thoughts on, at the beginning of chapter 1)
Edit: after re reading that part it looks like it’s just what you posted the pics of, maybe to fill as some form of summer homework

Italian too :laughing:
It sounds a lot old fashoned in my mind

1 Like

Look so!
Edit: another one :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m not allowed to visualize the pages you sent me for some reason, maybe because of country restriction
Anyway I had the idea of looking up images when I can’t find what a word means :joy:

1 Like

Ah sorry, it’s yahoo answer with some junior high students shamelessly asking for 40 ideas to fill their 一言日記 just before the end of summer holiday because they didn’t do their homework :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Can’t translate this sentence, what is とりに? Ichi.moe gave me 8 possibilities :exploding_head:
And how do you translate 帰ってたら時間?
I’d be able to translate it without the conditional and the progressive as “the time I return home” but this way it’s quite difficult to me

2 Likes
Chapter 2, Pg. 3

とり is going to be 取る, turned into a noun by putting it in the い-form. This happens fairly often with this verb, and when used as a suffix, it basically means “collecting; gathering; picking up”

I believe the おまけ for Volume 3 actually used the word 虫取り, so there is another example of it for you to help solidify that usage!

So, I would translate 宿題とり as “picking up homework”

From there, looking at the page, it looks like an incomplete sentence to me.

Previous panels, they were discussing where to do homework together until a certain time. Nishikata initially suggests the library, then says the sentence you posted.

To me, I think he was going to say: “時間がない”, and it was just left off because it was obvious by context.

I don’t think the 帰ってたら is modifying the 時間.
I am actually relatively certain that it can’t do so because たら is a conjunction. Imagining a comma there might make this more clear for you.

If you can’t figure out the meaning from there, my interpretation of the sentence:

"Ah, but (あーでも), if I go home to pick up homework (宿題とりに帰ってたら), (there won’t be) time… (時間が(ない)).

2 Likes

Right, now I remember! I didn’t give it much attention since jisho provides a clear explanation for 虫取り but now I see

Okay, so happy to hear this because my mind was trying so hard to work it out and just couldn’t :joy:

Great, now it makes perfect sense :grin:

1 Like

Only one doubt about this sentence, what is ひたすら exactly doing here?
I see the rest simply as
I have the sensation 気が(する) that I’ve just だけ been teased

2 Likes
Chapter 2, Pg. 16

It’s this word. It’s an adverb, modifying the からかわれた.

“I feel like I’ve just been intently/devotedly/earnestly teased.”

2 Likes

I saw these definitions on jisho but they were too weird to accept in the context :joy:

1 Like

It makes sense to me. He is basically commenting that he feels like she came with the single-minded intent of teasing him; the homework was just an excuse. Hence, he was intently/devotedly teased. At least, that’s how I interpreted it.

2 Likes