Surviving long Zoom meetings: audio toggle script help?

Now that I’m working from home for the indefinite future (like so many of us), I have a lot of long Zoom meetings.

I like to do Wanikani reviews during these meetings (who wouldn’t!) but I usually have my WK lesson audio set to autoplay, which is bad for meetings (I do occasionally have to unmute and talk!). And I have to use the computer audio for Zoom, so I can’t just turn my volume down on the computer.

Obviously I can click through to user settings and turn off the audio autoplay, but this is tedious, you have to exit your review session to do it, and then I always forget to turn it back on afterwards.

It seems like it should be fairly simple to create a script that provided just a button that toggled that user setting directly from the reviews page. Any chance someone generous wants to provide that for all us stranded people working from home? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re running a Chromium browser you can use this extension

8 Likes

I didn’t even think of a browser-based solution-- thank you! That’s perfect!

3 Likes

What’s wrong with just using the built in “mute site” option for this case?

1 Like

I thought they removed the ability to mute tabs?

1 Like

Don’t you want to see how your Japanese colleagues would react if Kenichi suddenly shouts…

金玉!!!

5 Likes

On this topic, I have on multiple occasions tired to sneak in a couple of reviews at work, only to find out my laptop is on full volume and on autoplay ! ! :hot_face:

3 Likes

Yep, I have already embarrassed myself enough with my Japanese husband when I accidentally have my phone volume on and I open up the app while waiting for the microwave or something and it busts out something suddenly like 汗臭い!

This is why I know I’m not to be trusted while on video calls. :smiley:

3 Likes

They replaced mute tab with mute site (meaning it remembers), but you can still do it by right clicking a tab.

2 Likes

Woah, I had no idea! I was so mad when they removed the tab feature. I think tab muting is still more of what I personally want, but this is great too

1 Like

Is there any way to prevent websites from autoplaying videos? I’m sick of CNN’s autoplay videos that often has nothing to do with the article. But sometimes I do want to manually click on play and so I don’t want to mute the site.

2 Likes

I am using Brave, which mutes everything by default. Videos still play, but I don’t hear anything, so it’s not as bad. I don’t know of any extension or anything

1 Like

Yeah, but what if you are actually interested in the video and want to hear the audio? Can you unmute?

1 Like

Yeah, you just have to click the icon. It’s also easy to whitelist sites

1 Like

Looks like you can do the same thing in Chrome now

edit: Apparently you can’t click to unmute tab. You can right-click to unmute, but that adds it to the whitelist. So Brave works a bit better, still

1 Like

Both Chrome and Firefox have promised to block video autoplay for years now, I don’t know when they will finally deliver.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s crazy that it’s not a standard feature. I used to get so mad whenever a video started playing (with audio). Video is also annoying, but I can live with it

1 Like

Doesn’t firefox already have it (albeit hidden in a bunch of settings). Going to options->privacy and security->permissions (near the bottom)->autoplay then setting it to block both audio and video seems to do the trick for most sites.

2 Likes

Oh, neat!

2 Likes

I don’t understand why it has to be buried deep in the settings. I have yet to find any person who likes video autoplay.

2 Likes