Subscription test and lifetime question

I don’t know how I’m going to like this after level 3. I want to pay but If I pay monthly or a year of subscription, and after that year I decide to go lifetime, is that cheaper? Or I’ll have to pay the same amount?.

Having to decide now if I want to pay for a lifetime subscription after just a month using this is too much. :frowning:

Whenever you move up to a longer subscription tier, any remaining balance on your subscription is applied to that (in other words, if you pay for a year, and upgrade to lifetime after 6 months, the amount you pay for lifetime has 6 months of yearly price subtracted from it.)

If you use all of your subscription (like you get a month and the entire month elapses) you have no remaining balance on it, so you’d get nothing applied to a lifetime upgrade.

There is possibly going to be a discount around the end of the year.

Oh nice. They should say it in that page, honestly.

At that time I’ll be finishing level 3… ^_^…

This. I would wait a few weeks before purchase anything. Level three should take you about a week minimum anyways at which point you can decide to pay to unlock level 4 onward.

If you plan on finishing WK within 2 years, yearly subscription is the cheapest option. If you plan to take more time, lifetime is probably the best deal, especially if you wait for the (possible) christmas discount.

Oh nice. They should say it in that page, honestly.

They do say that here and, in my opinion, do a pretty good & thorough job at explaining it: https://www.wanikani.com/account/subscription

If you are currently a subscriber and changing plans you will be prorated for the amount unused, based on what you were charged on the current period’s invoice. The prorated amount will be used to pay the new invoice. Prorate is calculated to the second. The new subscription period begins on the date it is added. Charges and invoicing can be viewed under Billing.
For example, if you are half-way on a Month subscription (USD 10/month, the amount paid on the invoice) and wish to upgrade to Annual (USD 100/year), a proration of USD 5.00 will occur. This will go towards the first invoice for Annual, which will amount to USD 95.00. Subsequent invoices for Annual will yield USD 100.00.
Another use case is when transitioning from a more expensive plan to a less expensive plan, such as going from Annual to Month. If the prorated amount exceeds the Month’s rate your WaniKani account will be credited the difference. This is listed as line item “Account credit” under “Payment information”. The line item is only displayed if your account has credits. Subsequent charges will deduct from the account credit fund until it is exhausted, at which point the card on record will be used to cover the charges.
Proration listed when Lifetime is selected is calculated on the timestamp and only good at the timestamp. Refresh the page to see the most accurate prorate.
Proration extends to all plans, except going from Lifetime to any plan.

I for example did purchase a yearly plan and am now waiting to upgrade to lifetime when there is hopefully a end of the year sale.

If you have already unlocked all of level 3, consider paying a mere USD 9 to tide you over until the lifetime subscription special appears. Last year’s discount was worth USD 100. So you would still be in front and not losing momentum.

Sweeeet !! Will do.

Where does it mention that you can get a yearly subscription and then upgrade to lifetime without paying the full amount?

At the bottom.

If you are currently a subscriber and changing plans you will be prorated for the amount unused, based on what you were charged on the current period’s invoice. The prorated amount will be used to pay the new invoice. Prorate is calculated to the second. The new subscription period begins on the date it is added. Charges and invoicing can be viewed under Billing.

For example, if you are half-way on a Month subscription (USD 10/month, the amount paid on the invoice) and wish to upgrade to Annual (USD 100/year), a proration of USD 5.00 will occur. This will go towards the first invoice for Annual, which will amount to USD 95.00. Subsequent invoices for Annual will yield USD 100.00.

Right here

If you are currently a subscriber and changing plans you will be prorated for the amount unused, based on what you were charged on the current period’s invoice.

Do they have to give an example for every scenario? In a yearly subscription scenario, it clearly shows that if, for example, you are halfway through a yearly plan ($89 per year), then the amount unused is $44.50. That gets prorated if you upgrade to lifetime.

In that case, that’s what I don’t want to happen, because I have to pay anyway. So If I already spent a year and see how it goes, and I want to pay the lifetime fee, I have to pay 300 again (i don’t remember the exact amount), so I have to decide NOW if I want to use the lifetime one or not. Which I don’t know.

You don’t have to pay $300 “again” because you only ever paid $90 or whatever yearly is now. If whatever you paid chipped away at the lifetime total no one would buy lifetime.

But if you buy yearly now and decide in a month that you want lifetime, you won’t pay $300, you’ll pay $300-(whatever unused portion you have left on yearly) so like $220 or something. Yes, you pay $300 total, but that’s all. It’s true that if you wait the whole year to buy lifetime you pay $300 on top of the $90 or whatever, but that’s how it goes.

And that’s assuming no discount, which could lower the lifetime to $200 potentially.

A year is a long time to take to “see how it goes.” It shouldn’t take much time to estimate how long this will take you. You can just buy a month or two maybe and then you’ll only have spent an additional $9-18 than if you just buy lifetime now.

In many things in life, there is a price to pay for indecisiveness.

Yeah, I reached level 60 in just over a year, some of which was the free trial time. Even if you go at half that pace, that’s half the content on the site, far more than enough to have decided.

Yep. You’re right… I just don’t know how fast I’ll do this. Maybe it takes a couple of years to get better (I don’t have much time really), maybe It takes 5… or maybe I have to stop suddenly for some reason. Buying lifetime is a little difficult for me right now because I have no idea what I will do in the next couple of years. So, well. I’lll wait to finish level 3, and see if there’s any discount. If there isn’t I’ll think about it :slight_smile: Thanks guys!

If you aren’t sure you’re going to be using the lifetime membership, don’t do it, IMO.

I do monthly, because even though I really really really want to learn Japanese, there’s a hundred reasons I might quit, ranging from a lack of self-discipline, to outgrowing the site (perhaps I’ll find I have a better time learning kanji in the wild after a certain point? I don’t know.) to actual disruptive life events.

I try not to pay for something I don’t know I’ll use, so I’m happy to pay the crabigators 9 dollars a month. Should I ever end up paying more than 300 dollars, then wanikani has earned that money.

Now admittedly, the discount might change that calculation, but until then, I’m happy to wait.

It’s going to be a hard decision for me. Based on how WaniKani is prorated, I feel pressured to choose between yearly or lifetime during the upcoming sale. If I don’t select lifetime, it would feel like a waste to buy it later, even if I end up wanting it.

While prorating subscriptions is already very generous, I do wish the upgrade to lifetime would take into consideration the total amount paid to avoid imposing this dilemma on all new users.

It’s intentional. If they let you chip away at the lifetime total by buying shorter subscriptions, no one would buy lifetime. Everyone would automatically become lifetime members after 3 years.

Yep. I pay 7 Euros (9 dollars) right now for netflix. I don’t think the same amount for just a kanji app is good. For me it’s too much… I know it’s like having two beers, but when you have 6 subscriptions to stuff, you end up spending a lot of money monthly.

Just thinking to myself…