Subadub or other Netflix subtitle tools for Android or iOS?

In case you are not aware: there are super helpful extensions like Subadub or the „Learn languages with Netflix“ Chrome extension that make it posissible to watch Netflix with Japanese subtitles and do dictionary lookups (via eg Yomichan) which is great.

Does anyone have recommendations how to do something similar on iOS or Android? Not having to use my laptop for this would be so nice…

To give you an idea what I’m talking about:

(@Ncastaneda maybe? :innocent: )

2 Likes

Sorry… I haven’t heard of anything like that :sweat_smile:

Though I can see myself loving something like that… Android TV device… sofa… and make it count as “study” … :thinking:

2 Likes

So to answer my own question: I think this won’t be possible.

This is how far I got: I ruled out iOS immediately due to lack of flexibility. On Android, it is not possible to isntall all necessary extensions in Chrome or Firefox but there is a Chromium based browser called Kiwi which let’s you install Chrome extensions – that sounded promising! It was possible to install Yomichan and “Language Learning with Netflix” that way. Then you have to install some extension that simulates a different user agent in order to pretend that you are using e.g. Chrome on Windows. Otherwise you would be prompted to just use the Netflix app instead.

HOWEVER, this does not work since Netflix wants some DRM engine and in Chrome, the only available one is Widevine. This is however not supported in Chromium based browsers like Kiwi.

So, tl;dr: I could not get it to work and I don’t think it is possible. The only workaround might be getting a windows surface tablet which runs Windows 10, so it would be treated like a Desktop PC and it hopefully has a proper installation of Google Chrome that supports all the necessary extensions.

(I won’t lie… I’m actually considering getting a Surface for this but I will wait before I make such a stupid purchase just for Netflix :wink: on the other hand, I don’t own a TV so I saved a lot of money there and could pretend it is only fair to get a tablet instead… :grinning: )

Isn’t there a way to run a virtual machine on Android? :thinking:

That way it would basically be turning your Android into a PC. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha great idea :laughing: I imagine it will be painfully slow on my cheap Android tablet but I will definitely give this a try when I find the time, thank you!

Alot of this could be solved if Netflix just made their platform more flexible to allow both Japanese and English translations. Last I check, they make a lot of money so they can do it if they wanted to.

It is still unbeknownst to me why even translated shows are delayed on the western platform or why, as a customer, we need to purchase separate VPNs for a service I’m already subscribed to in order to view international content. Don’t think I’ve tried Subadub yet but Language Learning is not a reliable extension and I’ve stopped using it. While I’m a Netflix rant, yellow is a horrible English subtitle color (at least give us some options to change depending the show). You put this behind a Terrace House white carpet or a common white/sky blue anime and it’s essentially worthless. Luckily I’m transitioning to Japanese subtitles more and more (also white…WTF!) but I still need help.

Maybe our use cases are different (and I do not yellow subtitles?).

What I want to do is: watch in Japanese, have Japanese subtitles, use Yomichan on subtitles.

This works great on my desktop with the „language learning for netflix“ extension but I spend sooo much time in front of my laptop already, I would have loved not having to rely on it for this.

1 Like

Studios enforce copyright by country, as different markets have different demands for specific content. For example, a movie that was very popular in the United States might be uninteresting in Brazil, and a hit British comedy might not be so funny to American audiences.

Netflix and the studios both understand this, and the studios charge more for Netflix to offer the streaming of specific titles in some countries compared to others. Because the content deals are country-specific, Netflix may choose to pay the studio-demanded price to stream a title in one country, while negotiations in other regions fall flat.

TL;DR: Different countries want different content, so the subscription price reflects that.

PS: If you wanted every show to be available in every country, perhaps there could be a package that costs more, so that people who don’t care about that content don’t have to shoulder the cost.

2 Likes

What I meant was that the extension do work but sometimes I would get delays in the subtitles or the subtitles were not even translated properly so I had to toss it. I agree, I don’t want to use my laptop all the time either.

@Kazzeon, I get it but I don’t like it. What’s the point if customers are using VPN loopholes. Kind of like what you mentioned, I think customers would adjust their packages/cost for their specific needs.

Edit:

This is for TVs (smart app)

1 Like

Netflix CEO supposedly said, “The basic solution is for Netflix to get global and have its content be the same all around the world so there’s no incentive to use a VPN.”

But mostly they don’t seem to care, since the amount of users remains the same, no need to implement changes. (Besides trying to ban all VPN usage.)

2 Likes

I ended up buying a Microsoft Surface tablet because there was a good Amazon deal for it. I could install all the extensions I wanted in Chrome and Netflix is running fine.

What I did was:

• Bind some bluetooth keyboard to the tablet, have it lying next to me because that is most comfortable and I only have to press ~3 different keys anyway
  • Install “Language Learning with Netflix”. I use this to display the JP subtitles all the time. It also gives you shortcuts to repeat a phrase or go back to the previous one
  • Install Subadub. Use this to display EN subtitles. Toggle EN subtitles on or off by pressing “s”. This also happens to be the LJwN shortcut for “repeat current phrase” which works out nicely. If I want to pause afterwards, I can just press space. Or press “s” again to repeat the phrase without subtitles one more time.

Kanjitomo also works and it is making reading manga as easy as never before (not that I ever read much manga before but that is a different story).

So basically I’m now lying on my couch, living the dream :smiley:

But seriously, I have had so much study time that was not a lot of fun recently because of the JLPT so this is bringing some very much needed fun back into my studies. I feel like it is a good use of my time but still enjoyable enough to be relaxing and not feel like studying.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.