[Browser Extension] Language learning with Netflix

Thanks to some Japanese people learning English on twitter of all things, I just found a chrome extension that helps you to learn languages through Netflix.

It provides subtitles in both English and the target language, and for most languages also has a dictionary built in for unknown words .

It’s still under development, so the dictionary isn’t available for Japanese yet, and there’s also no furigana options, but it seems to work excellently for other languages if you’re learning multiple languages, and it still seems extremely useful for Japanese so far.

You can get the extension here for chrome: Language Reactor - Chrome Web Store

Here’s the website for it: https://languagelearningwithnetflix.com/ (be careful there’s an autoplaying video)
They also have a really useful tool to help find titles on Netflix with subtitles in various languages: https://languagelearningwithnetflix.com/catalogue.html#

12 Likes

You can also find Tofugu’s review of it from a few weeks ago here. :slightly_smiling_face:

“It’s still under development, so the dictionary isn’t available for Japanese yet”

This problem is easily solved using rikaikun:

At first I thought it doesn’t work with rikaikun, but I reloaded the page and there it was. With that, this is perfect.

There’s also the Subadub plugin for both Chrome and Firefox. I don’t know how it compares, but you can also have single subs in your target language, both subs at the same time or download the .srt subs file if need it. Of course you can make it work with Rikaichan or Yomichan (maybe even using one of those included frequency lists to decide what goes for reviewing or not :wink: ) …

These tools are making it so easy to stick to a routine for learning while enjoying content that it’s hard to leave Netflix out of the equation now… it has become such a great resource!! (wish Amazon / Hulu could have something similar :man_shrugging: … but they don’t care to provide Jsubs sadly :roll_eyes: )

EDIT: by the way, if anyone it’s looking for a worldwide Netflix catalog for searching by audio / subs language: https://unogs.com/ … such a great tool! (I found it to by much less distracting and easy to use than the actual Netflix interface, specially for searching specific content).

1 Like

I took a look at unogs, but it seems to only list Japanese-native audio for my country. I think thats because Japanese isn’t in the dropdown language options for audio if your profile is set to english for Australian netflix.

I ended up setting up a japanese language profile within netflix and then using the /browse/audio and selecting japanese (which is available only if you have a japanese language setting on the profile) to find native and dubs. This may help others with the same issue.

I’m curious, then it means you have access to more content if you search filtering by audio / subs over the Netflix interface?
Whenever I tried from another country (Spain in my case), the Japanese audio shows were only shows with japanese as native language, which seemed totally normal, since I never bumped into a western show with j dubs in another Netflix besides the japanese one.
In the Japanese Netflix all the shows with dubs will appear too :hugs:

In any case I prefer this way for searching content, otherwise if looking for japanese shows your Netflix soon it’s filled with mostly anime recommendations :sweat_smile:

Many more using a profile with Japanese as your default language!!

This is australian netflix, but with language set to japanese in the profile.

I don’t even get japanese audio as an option in the english language profile, but this is what I get for the japanese language profile.

2 Likes

Oh, interesting. I may have to try that.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I was assuming you were alredy using a japanese profile from the start :sweat_smile:
Anyway, If I check the Australian Netflix on Unogs it shows 103 titles with japanese audio (most of those correspond to Netflix originals, then anime, and lastly some scarce dramas in the mix).

Actually one of the shows in the picture (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) it’s not showing on Unogs, so I guess there’s still more available … lucky you :wink: .

In any case on the Japanese Netflix I would say Unogs it’s pretty on spot so far, with some differences ocationally due to the database not been updated daily (it has only a database for the countries, so it shouldn’t really matter the language on your profile for the search).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.