Stroke order script?Or manual is only way?

There are a fair amount of Dictionaries which recognize Kanji that you hand write. Looking up kanji in that way is a lot more practical, but they will always take stroke count and order into account.

1 Like

ok,but can you advice me if learning radicals’ stroke order is important?Should I find information how to do that or just let it go?

I personally think it’s worth it. Makes the rest easier. I just did the Kangxi radicals, though, through Anki

1 Like

Since you are interested in stroke order I thought I would throw out how I do it, not practical for many but at least an option. It also helps me in other ways but it is not an internet based application. I learn stroke order best through muscle memory, but I actually do write a lot of things down, (I journal in Japanese, write phrases of the day in my bullet journal in Japanese, and I write tons of notes in Japanese while I am studying), so I find it helpful to learn stroke order in that way first and the proper way to write the kanji.

I have the Kanji Kentei Level 10 step book. That first level contains the 80 kanji learned in first grade. By level 8 of Wanikani you would know all of those, and then Level 9 would be like 2nd grade and you would learn all of those on wanikani by Level 18 and so on. So every two days I practice writing the kanji. I learn how to write 4 new ones every other day. The first day of the two I write out those 4 kanji by themselves in proper stroke order, then the second day I write out those same kanji with all of the possible on/kun readings beside them, so it kind of helps me cement those in my brain as well. Basically they are like drills and it is definitely not a method for everyone. Especially since it isn’t online/app/web based like most things people use. But I like it, and I can write from memory the kanji now, not just recognize them when they pop up on a screen.

I only wanted to share because learning to read and write kanji is one of my favorite aspects of Japanese learning. So like I said, definitely not everyone’s cup of tea but I quite enjoy it!

1 Like

There’s a post on tofugu about how to generally get stroke order right without having to learn it individually for each radical or kanji Kanji Stroke Order: How to Guess it Every Time

2 Likes

Thanks,I will note that!I have free time at the summer and will surely try your method.Actually I’ve already stucked on how to start learning kanji for a few days now,because it’s really hard to set the method accordingly to the instruction I am using(Kim Tae’s guide(well and any other online-instructions)).Maybe then you can advice me some other unstructure to not confuse myself?

Strange,I can’t acces the link :confused:
Edit:found thanks to google,I’ll read it.

1 Like

Second this. I’m not gonna lie and say that you’ll learn it instantly from this article, but following the basic concepts outlined in the article goes a long way to being able to draw kanji without having to look it up constantly. All my stroke order practice comes from just looking up words when I run across one I don’t recognize when I’m reading Japanese, and google’s handwriting input only very rarely has trouble figuring out which kanji I’m writing out.

1 Like

You can plug in your API key into this website and print out sheets to practice the stroke orders!

Once you toggle on the stroke order it takes a second for the kanji to load. Click Wani Kani to do it.

http://jensechu.github.io/kanji/

1 Like

If you want to practice stroke order there are a few apps out there that can help. Have a look at:

Kanji Teacher
Skritter
Let’s write Kanji

This is an awesome anki deck for stroke order pratice:

I’m pretty certain that it uses an order similar to wanikani, so it should work just fine for you. If you use with ankidroid or ankimobile you can even draw on the screen! otherwise just use pen and paper.

Another great app is Kanji Study, it has stroke order, and a good deal of information on each kanji, and you can set up some lessons to test yourself.

You can try my script if you want a writing animation.

I am not very familiar with the Tae Kim’s grammar guide since I have not really used it as a learning tool. I know a lot of people have a lot of success with it, I am just not one of them. I tend to enjoy more lecture-based learning like youtube videos for grammar like Japanese Ammo with Misa or Cure Dolly. I like things being explained to me visually, not necessarily reading English text explanations. I do like Minna No Nihongo quite a bit, it forces me to read Japanese instead of reading in English unless I need to, but again that is also not for everyone. I seem to enjoy learning quite differently from the majority of people from a lot of the comments that people quote back to me…haha!

I hope you have great luck with your studies and you find something that will be very beneficial to you! But I am sure anyone here would be happy to answer any questions you may have about different learning pathways!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.