Anyone else having trouble getting of the stroke order scripts to work?

Just started using Wanikani and I’ve been trying to get stroke order to work with zero luck (the pitch accent script also doesn’t seem to work). Most other scripts seem to work ok, and I do have Wanikani Open Framework installed and at the top of the list.

Here are the scripts I’ve tried that I can’t get to work.

• Wanikani Unobtrusive Kanji Stroke Order
  • Wanikani Nippongrammar Extension
  • Wanikani Pitch Info

Here’s a screenshot of my Tampermonkey setup

So if you go to a vocabulary page and hover over the purple vocab at the top you do not see the numbers for the stroke order? Did you install the required font and restart the browser?

And further down on the vocab page under “Reading”, you do not see the pitch info diagram above the reading?

If not, can you check the console for any errors (Ctrl+Shift+J while on the vocabulary page) and post them here?

2 Likes

@Sinyaven Ok, cool. The pitch pattern one showed up, but not the stroke order stuff. Here’s a screenshot of the console.

I get more or less the same message with either of the stroke order scripts running (with the other one turned off).

And you made sure to hover your mouse over the purple box with in it? The “Unobtrusive Kanji Stroke Order” script only affects the enlarged popup.

Aside from the kanji/vocab item pages, the “Unobtrusive Kanji Stroke Order” script is also supposed to run during lessons, but it seems that this does not work anymore. The “Nippongrammar Extension” script, on the other hand, should affect lessons and reviews. However, when I just now tried it during lessons, it completely broke the lesson screen so that it doesn’t even load. During reviews, it seems to still work for me.

I’m not sure if “Unobtrusive Kanji Stroke Order” and “Nippongrammar Extension” are still maintained. If you still want to use them, you could report your problems in the respective threads and see if you get a response. Otherwise, you could switch to “Stroke Order Diagram” which I know is still maintained.

As for the Pitch Info script, that’s one of the scripts I’m currently maintaining, so if you still have problems with it let me know. You said it appears on vocab pages, but it should also appear in the info section of lessons, reviews, and extra studies (but only for vocabulary, which are the purple items).

1 Like

Unobtrusive Kanji Stroke Order author here. It’s maintained (looked at periodically), but there weren’t any problems with it in a while, except for some unsolvable issues in Safari (which feels like it becomes the new Internet Explorer 6).

2 Likes

The error is about gravatar, it’s unrelated to the [unobtrusive] stroke order script.
And the script is dormant until you hover your mouse over the purple square with the kanji.

I kind of sometimes show up and tweak my scripts so they work again.
That’s the closest I get to maintenance.
But I have a lifetime subscription anyway so I’m not going anywhere.
I’ll have a look on the weekend or this afternoon.
The lack of order in my scripts reflect that of my life.

2 Likes

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but the script seems to have stopped working for me too. This is the error in the console.

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: userscript.html?name=WaniKani%2520Unobtrusive%2520Kanji%2520Stroke%2520Order.user.js&id=94f9e3a3-3b52-42c9-a68b-663ed9da04b3:35 
Cannot read properties of null (reading 'parentNode')
    at wkAlert (userscript.html?name=WaniKani%2520Unobtrusive%2520Kanji%2520Stroke%2520Order.user.js&id=94f9e3a3-3b52-42c9-a68b-663ed9da04b3:35:31)
    at userscript.html?name=WaniKani%2520Unobtrusive%2520Kanji%2520Stroke%2520Order.user.js&id=94f9e3a3-3b52-42c9-a68b-663ed9da04b3:97:9
    at Object.<anonymous> (userscript.html?name=WaniKani%2520Unobtrusive%2520Kanji%2520Stroke%2520Order.user.js&id=94f9e3a3-3b52-42c9-a68b-663ed9da04b3:99:3)
    at St (<anonymous>:9:89)
    at userscript.html?name=WaniKani%2520Unobtrusive%2520Kanji%2520Stroke%2520Order.user.js&id=94f9e3a3-3b52-42c9-a68b-663ed9da04b3:1:89
    at window.__f__ldq86yyy.si (userscript.html?name=WaniKani%2520Unobtrusive%2520Kanji%2520Stroke%2520Order.user.js&id=94f9e3a3-3b52-42c9-a68b-663ed9da04b3:1:342)
    at St (<anonymous>:9:89)
    at n (<anonymous>:71:248)
    at <anonymous>:74:85
    at p (<anonymous>:68:59)