Strange accent?

Trying to watch film called Ocean Waves.
Not sure where it is set but main character seems to be talking in an odd fashion.

Couple of examples

ハワイに行くがは金がかかるき

What is the き doing at the end of the sentence? Meaningless particle? Don’t think I’ve seen it before

見えんやんか

From context it means “I can’t see her” but I don’t recognise the grammar

みんな知っちゅうしの

これやったら文句ないやるっちゅう

Thoughts?

4 Likes

It’s set in Kochi, Shikoku, and uses the local dialect. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I’m no dialect expert, but this appears to be:

• 見えん → 見えない
  • やんか → じゃないか (false “negative” for positive emphasis)
3 Likes

How understandable are these dialects for a native speaker, say someone from Tokyo?

I doubt natives would have any issue with the grammatical differences. There could be dialect-specific word usages that would confuse them though.

Half way through now. Enjoying it. Amusing that the main female character (from Tokyo) bursts out laughing at the male protagonist because of his accent - telling him he sounds like an actor in a period drama.

3 Likes

I lived in Ehime prefecture in Shikoku for a year and basically, you just get used to it.

Where I was, they speak a dialect called “Iyo ben” (Iyo being the old name for present day Ehime):

The first day teaching I had no idea what the kids meant when they asked me “ペット飼っておる?” but after a while I started expecting it.

I would say most Japanese who grew up with a more mainstream Tokyo dialect would understand most of what is said in regional dialects, at least the general gist.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.