What's your Japanese dialect?

I’m wondering if there are any other WaniKani users who usually use a different dialect than the general one, 標準語?
Like Osaka dialect, a country dialect, whatever. If you don’t use one really, are there any you can identify if you heard it? C:

If you know any, can you give an example of it?

Personally I speak Hakata-ben from Fukuoka, and even people here tell me it’s strong haha. But when I’m online, or in really formal situations I speak in the general dialect, which is what most people learning Japanese know.

皆、何方言わかっとーと?

I often find myself using some Kansai-ben because I lived in Kyoto for a year. Most often I use ほんまに instead of 本当に and わからへん instead of わからない, and some other kansai vocab.

But for the most part I speak in standard dialect.

I tend to speak mostly standard, but also have some kansai-ben and Mie-ben I use. I’ve mostly tried to stick with standard for testing purposes but hope to get more use to kansai and mie dialects before I leave.

Since I live in Kobe and have a girlfriend who has always lived in Kansai, I am exposed to a fair amount of Kansai-ben, but I rarely use it intentionally. There might be times when Kansai-ben inflection creeps into my speech, since it’s what I hear every day, but I’m not sure. Maybe some day I’ll study Kansai-ben more extensively, but for now I’ll keep it to the occasional なんでやねん!

We say なんでやねん in Fukuoka just as a joke haha

Where’s Mie-ben from?

'>_>

I’m gonna say Mie?

I lived in northern Shiga for many years so Shiga’s twist on Kansai-ben is usually what I find myself speaking but my wife used to live Sendai and while she’s pretty self conscious about it, she often slips into Tohoku when she’s at home…which used to always throw me off cause let’s admit, Tohoku-ben almost Okinawa-ben levels of impossible to understand. That said, I’ve found myself using a little bit Tohoku sometimes ironically to mess with friends and coworkers.

According to the boyfriend, I speak Tohoku-ben (which varies a lot depending on where in Tohoku you are). It’s not much of a vocab thing, but I’ve unconsciously picked up the Sendai up-and-down intonation mid-sentence, especially on て forms and on たら. It’s not that noticeable, but most people from other areas are a bit thrown off at first (if not only from my general non-native accent).

Although I personally have never lived in Fukui, I learned Japanese talking to mostly people from Fukui and accidentally picked up the northern Fukui dialect and intonation in the process. I think some people laughed at how countryside-like my intonation was so I’m doing my best to fix it and I try to avoid intentionally using anything outside of standard Japanese. Fukui-ben has a lot of similarities to Kansai-ben, but there are quite a few differences as well!

I’ve picked up quite a few grammatical aspects of Gunma-ben, though my accent otherwise is totally normal. It’s not too difficult to pick up the major grammatical differences, but the varied pronunciations and stresses are too minute to pick-up and learn. Some very common speech patterns are different in Gunma, so picking them up was actually somewhat important for me to understand everything quickly.

Some examples:

The casual question particle の typically is shortened to a flat ん. 「そうなん」instead of 「そうなの」.
When using the volitional helper verb みる as a request (みよう、みな), ending is dropped to simply「み」such as 「貸してみ」.
Instead of using the question particle 「ね」, 「さ」 is often used.
One interesting difference I’ve heard among the older population that I don’t hear by anyone my age is the replacement of 「そう」 and 「みたい」with 「げ」.

To my knowledge, I haven’t yet accidentally picked up anything, though it’s funny to see local reactions when they hear me using Gunma-ben for the first time. :smiley:

It’s from Mie prefecture. I’m kind of close to Aichi prefecture, about an hour and a half from Nagoya by train. Kansai-ben here is strong, but they also have a lot of their own phrases/words they use here.

iPhoneから送信

2017/10/25 12:11、Strideer1 wanikani_community@discoursemail.comのメール:

Another Mie resident here - I already knew some Kansai-ben, which (as mentioned) is used to some extent here, but there are also some uniquely local things I’ve been picking up. I work with younger kids, and their dialect usage is quite strong. So especially when talking to the kids, it’s pretty easy for a 知っとる(知っている)or a なにしとんの?(なにしているの?)to slip out :laughing:

As for things like そうなん or やってみ, I’ve definitely heard them used in Osaka and Mie as well. I wonder if they’re Kansai-ben, or maybe just a general informal-speech thing? It seems like a lot of Japanese people call various slang expressions “Kansai-ben,” even though they’re commonly used all over the country. It’s a bit unclear whether this means they’re popularized Kansai-ben, or simply slang that sounds dialect-y to native speakers.

Muddled english imitating-standard-japanese dialect :smiley:

I don’t live in Japan and am not quite far along enough to even know how to recognize dialects. I think I have a general idea of what the kansai dialect sounds like, but only because of the occasional anime joke poking fun at the kansai dialect.

The の to なん happens in Hakata-ben too, but the げ is super weird, I kinda wanna hear the whole dialect spoken.

Yeah, we do both of those in Fukuoka too, which is pretty far from Mie. (which I just looked up.) I don’t know Honshu well, sorry everyone. :bowing_man:

In general here, we change all ない’s to ん, like 分からない is 分からん、 and I think that happens in Kansai as well (correct me if I’m wrong). So maybe just the ん sounds feels dialecty because of the tendency to end on that sound in dialects.

I spent a lot of time in and around Kansai when I first started learning Japanese, and to this day I unconsciously say certain things, like 知っとる come s out of my mouth fairly often. But other than that I only speak 薩摩弁

I don’t think this is particularly dialectal. But as far as げ goes it is actually from 気 and the “feeling” / みたい type meaning of it. I couldn’t find the exact explanation, but dakuten-insertion is common among a number of dialects (try listening to Sendai-ben).

I’m pretty sure 分からん style shortening is fairly general as just a slangy, casual way to say negatives.

The Kansai-ben negation that is dialectal is へん.
分からへん

知っとる is normal here, and I really like it. My dialect is a stronger type though, and we dont even use the end of verbs; it’s cut off and the previous sound is extended. And then the の at the end of sentences is と instead.

わかっとーと?
わからんと。

I saw a video on Japanese dialects recently, I’ll have to see ir Sendai is in there. Should be.

Many Tohoku-ben accents have the Dakuten-insertion.

おる is pretty common in a lot of dialects and older speech. I actually think it’s いる that is the newer invention as well as the Keigo usage. I’m not sure specifically about its history, but since Kyoto was the seat of government and then “spiritual center” of Japan for so long, Kansai-ben, was the prestige dialect, so it seems possible that is how おる filtered through the rest of Japanese. This would also account for the difference in ある/いる in classical Japanese.

標準語 is actually a mishmash of different dialects from back in the day.