Spreadsheet JLPT N5 Grammar / Genki / MNN (work in progress)

I’m starting to study for the N5 exam in July and made a quick Excel sheet to compare the grammar supposedly needed and what’s covered in Genki. I added Minna no Nihongo, but I don’t use it so it’s taking a bit longer. If some of your are familiar with MNN, maybe you can help me fill the gaps. And if you have comments or want to point things that are incorrect, let me know.

JLPT N5 Grammar

I used the N5 grammar list on this website as a basis: JLPT Grammar

EDIT: Thanks everyone for your help, I think the table is pretty much complete. For people wondering what is covered in those textbooks, it seems that both Genki I and MNN I cover more than is needed for the N5 level (just a few points need to be checked in subsequent volumes).

If someone would like to add their textbook to the list (Japanese for busy people, perhaps), let me know. I’m not yet doing N4, let alone N3, but if someone wants to join efforts and add those levels, you can also contact me and I can give you editing rights to work on a new spreadsheet in the same file).

11 Likes

Looks nifty! I’m probably going to wait until December for the N5 exam, but I’ll make note of this/maybe steal it. I just finished lesson 6 of Genki I, and everything looks accurate (of what I do and don’t know so far), though ~te and ~tte is covered in lesson 6, along with lesson 7 (peeking ahead)

Sweet thanks, I hope that can be of use later.

I think it’s good to see that pretty much everything needed for N5 is covered in the first book of both textbooks.

I think the three grammar points that are listed as N/A are covered.

なくちゃいけない I-12 (5th grammar point)
~たり…~たりする I-11 (2nd grammar point)
~たことがある I-11 (3rd grammar point)

Super, I somehow missed them, thanks for pointing that out.

Could some one give me an offline copy (excel or pdf)? google docs/sheets/slides isn`t working for me at the moment, thanks in advance!

はい、どうぞ
https://puu.sh/vDdKF/e8991a9a34.pdf

1 Like

ありがとございます!

@yoshindustry, I am hoping to sit N4 this year (or 2018). I bookmarked this thread so that when I have a workable list, I can let you know.

Good luck with N5. I wrote a list of specific test prep materials which I used. If you can’t find it, let me know.

Thanks @wunderbunny, this is super helpful. If all goes well, I’m planning to pass N4 at the end of the year so will be working on the next sheet for N4 in a couple of months. I will post it over here to ask for support :wink:

1 Like

@yoshindustry, I suggest a couple of changes:

1. のほうがいい should be た or ない form + ほうがいい. Refer to Genki 1, lesson 12 (not Lesson 10).
  2. なくちゃいけない is mentioned in the footnote of Genki 1, lesson 12, page 273. Perhaps it would be better to label it as なければいけません which is the actual title used in Genki 1.
  3. Neither N4 nor N5 lists contain とき (Genki 2, lesson 16). I can’t remember if it was in N5. I don’t see it on the N3 list. I think it’s an accidental omission.

Two things I remembered from last year’s paper:

1. “using sentences to qualify nouns”, Genki 2, chapter 15, page 80. There was one question in the December 2016 paper which required this knowledge. It was the section where you rearrange the words in a sentence.
  2. When learning kanji, some N5 lists do not include colours (white, red, blue). There was a colour question in December 2016 paper.

I have already gone through the N4 list using Genki. The list is very similar to the Genki 2 table of contents.

Good luck with N4 and N5. I wouldn’t be game to try both exams in the same year but it is do-able.

I’m surprised @rfindley hasn’t popped into this thread, as I believe he’s developing something that will compare things like this for you… Hmm…

Paging rfindley, paging rfindley! XD

Interesting resource! Thanks! ^^

Strangely, I remember reading about this in a recent chapter of Genki I! It may be a special “Note” or a footnote, but I don’t believe it was. Chapter 10 was my most recent chapter I’ve looked at, so it was likely 10, but maybe 9… Possibly a related concept and not the exact same thing you mean, however.

I saw this thread, and while I am catalog kanji, vocab, and grammar in various learning resources, it’s not in a form that would be useful for the OP at the moment. Side note: while my project will (eventually) make it possible to compare learning resources, its purpose is actually quite different. Its purpose is to let someone select a path to follow or goal to achieve, and the system will dynamically build a curriculum, accounting for what they already know (…though that’s sort of a one-dimensional look at the whole picture)

2 Likes

Oooh! Well, I thought that this might also be helpful for you (if it’s not data you’ve already collected)… \_(^_^)_/

That’s an even more useful tool than I thought you had in the works. ^^

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.