Spirited Away Anki Deck (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi)

Hello! I’m so eager to get an Anki deck of Spirited Away but I can’t seem to find it anywhere online! I wonder if anyone has done a sub2srs of it?

Thanks all!

1 Like

I din’t know if I can post this, if not just delete my post.

There is no spirited away but a bunch of stuff nonetheless.

Also, if anyone has a Bakuman deck, I’d love to get my greasy fingers on that.

2 Likes

Thanks man! super appreciate it, I actually stumbled upon that one earlier, it has some great decks in. I’m so eager to learn the Japanese from a film I already enjoy.

Do you have any tips for learning from a film?

Ok, so since you are the FIRST person on earth to ask ME for learning advice, I will give it my all 頑張ろう!!!.

The thing about media and art in Japanese is that its completely different from the way people talk in Genki. You will almost never come across a sterile Subject, Object, Verb sentence all neatly attached to their proper particles. However, you still need the foundation that a Textbook provides.

I recommend going through Tae Kim if you can’t afford a book, I used the ebook from https://8020japanese.com/ by Richard Webb, which allowed me to rush through the basics in about 2 months (my girlfriend was visiting her parents during that time, so I had all the time in the world :smiley:). Only after I finished his book, I started diving into media study.

One thing I can’t recommend enough is LISTENING to Japanese. At first it sounds like jibberish but at some point you start to make out words, even though you still can’t understand a thing. I might have listened to the first season of My Hero Akademia at least 20 times by now and it is increasing every day. I recommend listening to Anime every free second you have (I am listening to Shirokuma Cafe on my right ear right now). Get a dedicated mp3 player, download the episodes of animes YOU HAVE SEEN in japanese without english subs (this is important, you need to know what is happening, even though you might not understand what they are saying), convert them to an audio file (m4a is good) and listen every god damn minute. That helps you to get a feel for the language and the more things you learn, the more you can make up, like people saying ので、から、みてみたい all the time.

The next thing you can do is start using the anki decks you have, at this point I recommend being at least level 10 on WaniKani so that you have a good foundation of vocab. When you wanna study a sentence, there should never be more than ONE unknown element in them, either a grammar point or a vocab, don’t play the hero, one is more than enough for you brain. Have the front of the card only have the sentence in Japanese and a context picture, the back should have the audio, the sentence with the reading in furigana (there is an add on for anki that auto generates them in the reading field depending on what you have written in the expression field). And the word or grammar point you want to learn with its definition from WWWJDIC: Text/Word Translation. I always enter the entire sentence there and get the necessary stuff on the back side of the card. Always check the " NEW Try the new-generation glossing system (Beta Test):" box on that site since this helps with long streaks of hiragana (my nemesis).

Also, make your OWN deck, I don’t recommend going through a premade SRS Anime deck, since it will overwhelm you with sentence where you lack the understanding of 5 or more things at once, always only 1 thing you don’t know (the maximum can be 2 if the other element you don’t know is a phrase in hiragana like それに). If you want to study a word, click the browse button in anki and enter the word in the filter thingy and see where you can find it in your anime decks (I have 6 anime decks or so to pick from), then pick a sentence that you understand with that word inside and right click to move it to your OWN deck. Than you can start learning those. Something that I like to do, is to listen to episodes that I have studied a couple of sentences from.

Also, get to know Anki, so that you can make the cards you want!

If you have more questions, I am super eager to help!

Sorry for misspellings but I wanna get back to my own studying :slight_smile:

EDIT: I want to stress one thing again, don’t look at a translation of a sentence. The first thing I do when importing an anime deck is to delete the translation field of the cards. If your brain can’t handle a sentence, it just means that you are not ready and you shouldn’t stress over it. Also, translations can be tricky since Japanese is such a wildly different language, you always have interpretations in translations. When I read the translation of Japanese sentences, I often see stuff added or missing and that will just confuse you until you reach a level where you can judge for yourself. One step at a time! The key term is i+1. You can read up on Stephen Krashen’s theory on language acquisition of you want.

4 Likes

You can also use the Anki Plugin “Morphman”, which keeps track of your known vocabulary and finds +1 sentences in your deck. See this thread about Subs2SRS/Morphman for more details about setting it up.

2 Likes

That is really fantastic, but I like to find them in the wild on my own and check with Jisho.org, if they are taught by WK or not. (Read: I am just too lazy to set it up:)

Wow thank you for all that, i’m not sure where to start replying to but I appreciate it! I actually have tried almost everything out there but just struggle to keep focus and motivation to progress. I mean, wanikani, kaniwani, tons of anki decks, making my own decks, sub2srs, Tae Kim, JapanesePod101, Genki (only thing i’ve been able to progress through), Japanese tv series, so on so forth!
I wish I could actually stick to an Anki deck but without contextual learning it doesn’t stick to my brain! That is why I wanted to watch something I already love to enjoy the learning process more.

I live in Tokyo so i’ve been able to pick up a fair amount of Japanese but just struggling with the motivation, right now i’m away from Tokyo and wanted to try a new study technique (at home in Tokyo I use Genki and basic children’s stories) but i’m away from those resources now!

Thanks for all the study tips, I think I may try making my own deck for an Anime and focusing on listening is super important you’re right! I can understand some parts but it’s said so casually and fast its impossible to catch without the subtitles! haha
And also yeah the Grammar in Genki is very different to Anime, the grammatical structure is so unpredictable in Anime!

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.