2月7日

日記

金曜日に大事なミーティングがあるので準備になりたいよ。
今日、いつも通りに比べてミーティングが少なかったから、やっといくつかペーパーワークをできた。
今もっと準備したの感じがある。

夫は私のパソコンをアップグレードした。
新しいケースを買って、新しい電源回路とファンを入れた。
素晴らしい夫だよなぁ。

I have an important meeting on Friday and I want to be ready.
Today we had less meetings than usual, so I finally got some paperwork done.
I feel more prepared now.

My husband upgraded my computer.
He bought a new case and put in a new power circuit and fan.
He’s a wonderful husband, isn’t he?

(Home Post)

2 Likes

:studio_microphone: :snowboarder: softlyraining’s snowy mountain of output :memo: :mountain_snow:

February 7th

Today was a struggle. I’m pretty tired, and it didn’t help that I left recording for the very end of my day. :disappointed_relieved:
Recording for February 7th

3 Likes

Home post

2月8日

今週は、夜に会議がたくさんある。一昨日参加した会議が二十二時に終わった。今晩参加した会議が二十時に終わった。そして、明日も二十一時まで会議を参加する。金曜日は早く来たらいい。

So that last sentence is supposed to be a literal translation of I wish Friday would come earlier/faster. But I probably butchered that. I’m sure I’ve been typing sentences that don’t make sense grammatically here all the time, but this one especially so. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:studio_microphone: :snowboarder: softlyraining’s snowy mountain of output :memo: :mountain_snow:

February 8th

Recording for February 8th

Replies

I don’t think you butchered it! I did a search, and weblio had some examples of 早く来てほしい. That’s not to say your sentence is incorrect, though.

とにかく、仕事は何ですか。会議が終わるのは遅すぎるでしょう? :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I personally would say it makes sense. Cant imagine any native would have trouble knowing what you mean. If you would like some suggestions for your writing id be happy to give some.

1 Like

Home post

2月9日

十七日後一度レベルを進んだ。レベル十六とレベル十七はとてもはやすぎられたから、今回ゆっくりレッスンをした。苦しいレベルの終わりが近いだ。間もなく死をむかえる。

Dun dun dun!Or in japanese… ゴゴゴゴ!

Replies

Thanks for both of your help @softlyraining and @Vanilla . Corrections and suggestions are always welcome of course! I would really appreciate them if you have any :grin:

2 Likes

Cool, you caught me right as I was about to log off so I’ll just give a few stuff before I sleep

早く金曜日になってほしい and 早く金曜日にならないかな are two phrasings that might be of interest to you. 来るといい is often the pattern I see but I feel like its most often used for days that don’t have like a set period in time. like I can’t wait for the day where I can talk to a 3d real life girl without being scared. One exception is christmas which I have seen a few times for some reason with this pattern.

今週は、夜に会議がたくさんある。

夜の会議 is also ok

一昨日参加した会議が二十二時に終わった

一昨日の会議 is ok too, but also keep in mind you could just say 一昨日は二十二時に終わった。

今晩参加した会議が二十時に終わった

same as above

そして、明日も二十一時まで会議を参加する

に is the particle that goes with 参加, but here I would just say

明日も二十一時までの会議がある。

The no particle just makes it “a meeting that goes until 9pm”

Overall, the biggest tip is the one I tend to give most people: for japanese, less is more. You might have noticed how for all your sentences, they became shorter with my suggestions. Japanese tends to leave out basically as much info as possible, so by not over specifying, your japanese becomes nicer to read and more natural PLUS theres less chances to make particle errors and stuff. Win win!

2月8日

Just realised I forgot to write this update yesterday! Doing it now, and I’ll do todays later once I’ve had time to actually write todays!

日記

今日、何度かミーティングがあった。
ちょっとストレスだったので昼休みに散歩をして、マクドナルドを食べに行った。
チキン・ラップとガーリック・チーズ・バイツを食べた。

夕方にシャドーハウスの第5巻を読み始めた。
普段、その漫画を読むときに、1日に一章だけ読むけど今日二章を読んだ。
明日も二章を読んだら、ブッククラブに追いついたことになる。

I had a few meetings today.
I was a bit stressed so I took a walk at lunchtime and went for a McDonald’s.
I had a chicken wrap and garlic cheese bites.

In the evening I started reading the fifth volume of Shadow House.
Usually when I read that manga, I only read one chapter a day, but today I read two chapters.
If I read two more chapters tomorrow, I will have caught up with the book club.

(Home Post)

1 Like

2月9日

日記

明日、本当に大事なミーティングがあって、私はプレゼンテーションをしないといけない。
本当に緊張するよ。
今日、たくさんの準備をしたけどまだ心配だ。
うまくいくといいんですが。

I have a really important meeting tomorrow and I have to give a presentation.
I’m really nervous.
I did a lot of preparation today but I’m still worried.
I hope it will go well.

Replies

@softlyraining
私もニンテンドーダイレクトを見ました。
ピクミンが大好きですので嬉しかったです。
また、 Etrian Odysseyのリメイクも楽しみにしています。
DSでしたときに地図を書くのが楽しいですから。

(Home Post)

1 Like

February 9th

Recording for February 9th

Replies

@lucylavelle じゃ、暇になればピクミンをします。 :grin: Etrian OdysseyをDSでしたかったですが、買いませんでした。でも、今はチャンスですね。面白そうだと思っています。

1 Like

2月10日

日記

今朝、出版社の二人の社長にプレゼンテーションをしないといけなかった。
本当に緊張で怖かったよ。
でも、大丈夫だったと思う。
うちの社長は「素敵なプレゼンテーションだ。よくやったよ」と言ったので私は本当に安心して、嬉しかった。

仕事の後で友達とワガママというレストランを食べに行った。
彼らの赤ちゃんも来た。
もう大きくなっているなぁ。

I had to make a presentation this morning to two of the bosses of our publisher.
I was really nervous and scared.
But I think I did okay.
My boss said, “Great presentation, good job!” so I was really relieved and happy.

After work I went to eat with my friends at a restaurant called Wagamama.
Their baby came too.
He is already getting big.

(Home Post)

1 Like

February 10th

Recording for February 10th

Replies

よかったですね!心配しないで、おめでとう!

1 Like

2月11日

日記

今日、夫とピザ・エクスプレスに行った。
バレンタインデーのために、特別なハート型のドゥ・ボールがあった。
ンドゥイヤ・カルツォーネを注文した。
本当に美味しかった。

夕方にザ・ラスト・オブ・アスの第三話と第四話をみた。
第三話は悲しかったけどその番組がとても偉くて面白いと思う。

Today I went to Pizza Express with my husband.
They had special heart shaped dough balls for Valentine’s Day.
I ordered a nduja calzone.
It was really delicious.

In the evening we watched episodes 3 and 4 of The Last of Us.
Episode 3 was sad but I think that show is really great and interesting.

(Home Post)

1 Like

February 11th

Vocaroo wasn’t working for some reason. Can’t say I’m a fan of voice spice, but 仕方がない.

Recording for February 11th

2月12日

日記

今日、夫とカーベリーに行った。
たくさんの美味しいにんじんとパースニップを食べた。
大きい食事を食べたのに、帰り中アイスクリームも食べた。

姪へのバレンタインデーのプレゼントを詰めた。
箱にハート型のチョコレートとか、赤いと白い髪留めとか小さいおもちゃを入れて、郵便した。
そのプレゼントが好きといいね

I went to a carvery with my husband today.
I ate lots of delicious carrots and parsnips.
Although I ate a big meal, I also had ice cream on the way home.

I packed a Valentine’s Day gift for my niece.
I put heart-shaped chocolates, red and white hair clips, and small toys in a box and mailed it.
I hope she likes those gifts.

(Home Post)

1 Like

February 12th

Recording for February 12th

1 Like

Home post

2月13日

お久しぶりだね。先週はとてもいそがしかった。夜の会議に参加して新しい仕事に探したから、とても疲れった。就職活動ので不安を感じて心配ことがたくさんあった。だから、週末何でもしなかった。

My mind was filled with insecurities due to the job hunt so I couldn’t get myself to do my challenges this weekend. :face_exhaling: Hopefully I’m over it now.

Replies

@Vanilla First of all, so sorry this reply took so long. Thank you so much for all the tips! Super useful. Great to know that less is more in Japanese. Those particles really tend to trip me up.

As a follow up, if you don’t mind me asking, for that case where you said の is okay to replace に why is that the case? Is の just more commonly used? And in what context? (夜に会議 to 夜の会議).

I think I was probably forcing in some grammar points there that I needed to practice but very good point on not over complicating things.

2 Likes

February 13th

Finally made a recording earlier in the day!

Recording for February 13th

Replies

@alygator お帰りなさい!忙したっかたということは心配しないでくださいね。Job hunting can be incredibly stressful, so you have my sympathies. Are you looking in a specific field, or just for anything you can get? In either case, I wish you all the luck in the world! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

2月13日

日記

仕事の後で前の同僚とアイスクリームを食べた。
今日、うちの会社に彼は面接をした。
だから多分、また同僚になるよ
それはいいと思う。
私はヘーゼルナッツ・ワッフルを食べて、ホワイト・ホット・チョコレートを飲んだ。
美味しかった。

After work I had ice cream with my former coworker.
Today he interviewed for a job at our company.
So maybe we’ll be coworkers again.
That would be nice.
I had a hazelnut waffle and a white hot chocolate.
It was delicious.

(Home Post)

2 Likes

Home post

2月14日

Grammar practice today of bunpro mistakes

ながら while, during
自転車に乗りながら、音楽を聞いています。
晩ご飯を食べながら、アニメをみる。

なくてもいい don’t have to
明日は早く起きなくてもいい。
お皿を洗わなくてもいいですしょう。

ないで without doing
毎朝朝ご飯を食べないで会社へ行きます。
時々シャワーを浴びないで寝ます。

Replies

心強い言葉をくれのでありがといございます。Don’t know if I said that correctly, but I meant to say thank you for the words of encouragement, literally reassuring words. Looking in a specific field so I have limited options. Ah, I forgot to answer last time you asked: I’m a researcher on climate change. :hot_face: :cold_face:

1 Like