Silly questions i have

I just started the app and reviewed radicals few time i have to wait 15 hrs now.
In the future will i need to wait like this again?
When do i start to learn kanji?
Is subscribing worth it?
Ia that app helped you learn?

Here is the FAQ
WaniKani Knowledge | What is WaniKani? How do I do this and that? What is life? Find the answers here.

Here is the Guide
What is WaniKani? | WaniKani Knowledge

It will answer your questions.

2 Likes

I personally believe that subscribing is VERY much worth it. But wait till you have done the 3 free levels. It is only slow in the beginning. I review around 200 items a day at WaniKani.

1 Like

No disrespect, but itā€™s written all over the place (e.g. the FAQ, you also receive an email about it) thatā€™s how Wanikani and SRS works.

1 Like

Everybody has that same complaintā€¦ and I think everybody also regrets it later, lol.
In my experience, I had doubts about WK, but after giving up a couple of months and coming back, I found out that I still remembered a lot of stuff. Thatā€™s when I decided to take WK seriously and Iā€™m actually planning on getting a lifetime subscription.

Except for those people who read the FAQ and search the forum before posting. Iā€™m sure there are a ton of them but of course they are not as visible to us as the people who just post their questions without searching for answers first are.

I remember joining the forum when I could not figure out how to type the small ć£. Luckily, that question was countless times before so I didnā€™t have to post it. But apparently using the search function is not the the first instinct that people have (oh, that reminds me of a threadā€¦ where was it :smiley: https://community.wanikani.com/t/how-do-you-search-community-forums/25129 )

On topic: @Gmit we are obviously biased since all of us decided that WaniKani is worth it. But Iā€™ve found it very helpful, just a bit challenging to keep up with it at the fastest possible pace because there is so much content once you get out of the earlier levels. But no one forces you to go so fast, you can take it as slow as you would like. It is not the only resource you will need to learn Japanese but it is a very valuable resource (imo).

4 Likes

@gmit If you have not read the FAQ or the guide, you could try looking in one of the following threads:

24 hour wait and 0 reviews tomorrow
a bit slow to progress?
About the first (infamously) slow levels
Already know a few kanjiā€¦
A Three Day Wait
At Level 4 but stilll seems a bit slow.
Brutally slow feeding of new items and reviews for intermediate student
Can I speed up the pace at WaniKani?
Can new users jump to their appropriate level
Can you study Japanese in a faster way?
Does it start this slowly?
Early level unlock speed
Enough with radicals, why wonā€™t kanji come already?!
Fasterā€¦?
Feel like there needs to be a more concise way for non-beginners to bypass content already known.
Give me more reviews
Going through the start faster.
Help new to WaniKani
Help please new subscriber
Help with lessons cant seem to get anymore
horribly slow for intermediate, any way to skip levels??
How many reviews before new lessonlevel
How to level up
Iā€™m level N3 but I just started using this site. Do I really have to start from the beginning?
In 72 hours some reviews very sparse
Is it just me or do the reviews suck For level 2
Is it supposed to be this slow?
Isnt five days a bit too long of a wait
Is skipping from apprentice to guru/master/enlighten/burn possible?
Is skipping levels possible?
Is there any way to make this thing go faster?
Is there ANY way to speed this up?
Is there anyway to speed wanikani up? I find this too slow.
is there any way to speed wanikani up?
Just started, why is it this slow?
Kanji progression
New here
New lessons arent unlocking
New user checklist and lesson speed
New user question 0 Lessons and 0 Reviews means I should just wait
New user questions
No New Lessons
Not being able to continue/skip ahead
Not getting a new lessons
OH GOD WHY IS WK SO SLOW!?!?
One study session just one radical now must wait 8 hours
Only 1 kanji in the reviews since 3 days
Only 86 reviews within the next day I am bored
Pace is too slow for intermediate-level users.
Progression question!
Progression speed
Pshhā€¦ This is too easy and slow!
Question about wait times
Review and level up wait time for the millionth time probably
Reviews
Shorten wait periods
Skipping Ahead
Skipping Levels (or making them quicker)
Skip?
Slow Progress customise starting level
Slow progression
Slow Start?
So slow
Speeding up lessons
Speed too slow
Speed up the first 5 levels of wanikani
Suggestion: Assessing Levels of New Users
Suggestion: Skip Waiting Time
The SPEED!!! of WaniKani.
The starting-as-non-beginner / placement-test / I-already-know-this thread
The wait times are ridiciously long
Think WaniKani is slow? Youā€™re not alone.
This newbie needs help on unlocking more lessons
This website sure starts slowā€¦
Time between reviews for each SRS level
Too Slow
Two days until next review No lessons either
Unlocking new radicalskanji
Unnecessary waiting for new content
Wait 4hrs to review only one word
Wait times
Wanikani isnā€™t as slow as I expected it to be and I am disappoint.
WaniKani is so slow!
WaniKani is so slow at the start
WaniKani is so slow
WaniKani Is Too Slow!!!
Wanikani painfully slow
ways to make the learning processes faster?
way to speed up the lessons?
What do you need to do level up
When are my lessons coming
When do you get a new lesson
When may I start studying Kanji
When will WaniKani increase speed?
Why is this site soooo slow?!?!?!?
Why must it be so ā€œslowā€?
Wish the intervals between reviews were shortened. Any tips on getting to the next review faster?

8 Likes

Iā€™m very ashamed of having created a topic like this in the past and now I get a notification every time you post this. Not saying you shouldnā€™t but each time is like a twisting of the knife. Yes, Iā€™m dramatic. :pensive::see_no_evil: Also, it was four years ago.

11 Likes

Have you been updating this list? I keep forgetting to update my version

1 Like

Thread mute :wink:

1 Like

Yeah. I updated it to include the post you made with the original list (which also appears to be borrowing from other lists heh)

I couldnā€™t find a way to copy yours directly, so I did have to re-source every single thread. Itā€¦took a while.

4 Likes

First of all i want to thank you guys for taking the time to answer those reposted questions. For anyone here that suggested faq i read it briefly. But I was intersted to see if i could get more direct valuable info about the subject without rumming in the pile of info the faq throws at you. And another thing to be completly honest with you guys, oddly i find this website inconvinientā€¦at least for me so getting you guys who know the site better than me to help was had a great value to meā€¦ anyway thank you guys alot and if you want to leave more begginer tips on thia thread you are more than welcomed :slight_smile:

In what way do you find it inconvenient? Just curious.
I remember being frustrated in the first level as well and I just wanted to move to kanji immediately. I think once you have unlocked vocabulary and you get to see how everything builds on the previous knowledge you gained, it becomes more clear.

1 Like

You know that in an FAQ you can skim over the questions to see if it matches yours? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@heisamaniac bit off-topic, but you put the links to the faq and guide on a new line, so the forum will try to make a box around it. I think it tries to read the page, cannot log into WK, and displays some redirect instead. All your links now lead to the login page.

If you want a link in a new line you can put a space in front.

2 Likes

Depending on what exactly you find inconvenient there are also a lot of userscripts that can be used to customize (and thus hopefully improve) your experience.

Ops, haha youā€™re so right. Didnā€™t notice.

Nice avatar dude! I love Intervals

Can you expand on that topic that would help alot!!

Third Party link incoming in 3ā€¦2ā€¦1ā€¦