Shown Kanji not changing during lesson and review

Hi Guys, Today I started a new lesson set. Once the first Vocal word had finished the new word came up but the word that was shown remained as for the first word. This continued for all five words. On review this stayed the same I typed the answer to the word shown and the red bar came up. This is because it was actually asking for a different vocabulary word. This happens on Both my Mac and my laptop. I have switched the computer on and off to no avail. Anyone got any ideas.

1 Like

Hmmmmm… I’m no IT expert, but have you tried:

  • clearing your cache
  • logging out, closing the browser then opening it up and signing back in again
  • turning off any userscripts (if you have any. If you do, then post them in the OP too, becuase it helps the creators find any bugs/potential issues they might be causing)

Thus ends my technical knowledge, but maybe @Kumirei or @prouleau might be able to help more

Thanks for your reply. I turned the computers off and waited a while and now all seems to be back to normal. Very strange.

1 Like

it would be interesting to know what caused it, but sometimes inexplicable things do happen with it that later resolve.
I’m glad it’s working for you again ^u^
Can I suggest marking your reply as a solution so that other people know when they look through the threads that it’s been fixed?

I think someone else had this issue on safari recently

With these kind of symptoms my hunch would be a temporary glitch in the web site. But I didn’t reproduce the problem so I didn’t troubleshoot. This is just a hunch. I don’t really know.

If the problem happens again you should turn off your scripts to make sure it is not a script issue, and then notify Wanikani tech support. Use the chat thingie or email hello@wanikani.com

I have encountered this kind of glitch a few times on my tablet. I don’t have any scripts there so that can’t be the issue. I’ve noticed that simply switching to another tab or doing anything that causes the screen to update fixes the problem. If it happens again try switching tabs and see if that fixes it.

I just had the same bug with the Wanikani app on android. Restarting the lesson didn’t work. Force stop and clear cache did not work either… Don’t know yet how to solve the problem…

Just to be clear, which app was it? I don’t think the one called WaniKani is being maintained. All of the apps for WaniKani are user-created; there’s no official app.

“WK for Wanikani”, I just checked, it is discontinued and has not been updated since Nov 2017. Thanks for the hint. Never had this problem with this app before, thought (However, “before” means “a year ago or so”, I had paused learning for a while, but after the app’s last update.)
Update: Just installed Flaming Durtles, this one works fine.

That app went completely dead when API v1 was retired, though it had been having issues before that.
Another user took the source and reworked it to use API v2, and fixed the other issues.

Though I still prefer Flaming Durtles.

1 Like

Yep, the “WK for Wanikani” app is dead, so try Kakumei if you want to continue using it.

There are some issues with lessons right now that I’m working through. I can reproduce them but don’t have fixes just yet. I have a few ideas to try, so will hopefully make some progress soon.

Flaming Durtles is a great choice too for sure, it has a lot of cool features.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.