[Android] Kakumei for WaniKani

This project is a continuation of WaniKani for Android. I wanted to continue using it after V1 API was shut off, so I updated most of the application to use the V2 API.

There are some things I haven’t gotten to yet (including notifications, recent unlocks/critical item display in the dashboard, and support for vacation mode) - however all the functionality I thought important works.

Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrothberg.kakumei

Github repo: https://github.com/mrothberg/Kakumei-for-WaniKani

9 Likes

Good work!

5 Likes

When I saw the title, my first thought was “Kumirei for WaniKani”

7 Likes

#Kumirei4WK2020

7 Likes

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you dropped one mobile app just to make another one with the V2 API key? Not criticizing just curious.

1 Like

At the very least, it would minimize confusion that “WK for Android” was an official app if it had a different name.

It seems that OP doesn’t believe this to be a new app, but just a new name:

2 Likes

Are you by chance under the impression that the two apps are by the same developer?

I am the author of WK for Android. For a while now, I hadn’t been able to maintain it, and with the new API, decided it was finally time to discontinue. @mrothberg37 figured he’ll pick up the baton and change the name to something good while at it.

6 Likes

Yeah I thought it was woops. Well that makes more sense lol

1 Like

Thank you! I much prefer the design and simplicity of this over other apps like Flaming Durtles

Was an avid user of the original so will definitely be using this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s fantastic to see this project getting an update, thanks!

Sadly, I can’t upgrade to the new app because of the Android 7 minimum requirement. :slightly_frowning_face:

Any chance this could be made to support Android 6 like the old version did?

2 Likes

Done, released an update with a lower minimum Android version. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn’t realize it was set so recent :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Much appreciated! Count one more dedicated user. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi @mrothberg37
Happy to see back this app in the play store! In my case I’m a UX designer and I would like to collaborate with u if possible to make it even better :slight_smile: i find the app is awesome and it would be a pleasure to make it the best! Or at least chat about it.

Anyway, congrats for an amazing work!

2 Likes

Whoops missed your post here, it’s been pretty busy for me with the holidays and all. I did get/reply to your email though!

1 Like

@mrothberg37 Heya! I’m interested in contributing if I can, though I’ve never done Android dev before (I’m a JavaScript dev). Is there a particular IDE/setup you’d recommend that I could install to help me poke around the project?