Show me your books!

Just realised I’ve started to collect quite a few non-textbook-books for helping me learn to read in Japanese.

I only recently bought the しろくまカフェ series to test myself, but once they arrived I was looking for a place to store them when I realised I already had some books that would help with my Japanese-reading journey.

I bought the ‘How to use Git’ whilst I was still at university, but didn’t really get very far with it. Now I’m fairly competent at Git, but reading how to use it in Japanese will bring a whole new level to it :smile: I was delighted to be able to read pretty much the whole front cover without having to look up every kanji, which felt so good!

Show me what books you have bought over the years :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::open_book:

61 Likes

Not really physical books but

Counts…?

Haven’t really finished (or started) volume 4 but yeah. I started somehow to get into reading.

28 Likes

Excellent collection if I may say so

6 Likes

Thank you. TheMunichMunch

2 Likes

I got a lot of books. So here’s what I could fit in a picture.

37 Likes

Are you really not going to say anything about that Hello Kitty book? :pleading_face: I mean, it looks so cute, it was the first thing I noticed in the picture! :heart_eyes: :sweat_smile:

15 Likes

One letter away from being the best thread

24 Likes

When my next Amazon Japan order arrives, the first Japanese row in my shelf will be full :eyes:

49 Likes

A combination of factors:

• Having my first major salary and not knowing what to do with it
  • Growing up around libraries and not understanding the concept of not being able to summon whatever I want to read at will
  • Hunger for excitement during the monotony of lockdown leading to impulse purchases
  • being really excited and proud at the progress I made

led to… excess.

I’m doing a lot better about saving now, and I won’t run out of things to do for a while!

115 Likes

I find the anime characters on the cover of the Git book absolutely charming. :joy:

12 Likes

This is the one I should buy someday too!
I mean, of course, I know how to use Git, but this is precisely why this book can be useful in terms of studying Japanese. It would have been much harder if I had to learn both Japanese and Git from one book :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

I’m going to start taking pictures of my books, so I’ll be back to this thread with pictures when I’m done :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Holy moly, that’s amazing :smile: I’m just a tiny bit jealous.

7 Likes

Thanks! I’m definitely extremely lucky to be able to accumulate so much in a relatively short number of years. Partly I don’t have many other expenses (no car, no kids, etc.), but mostly I’m just overpaid and like books…

I love seeing the pictures of everyone else’s collections too!!
(watch out though, it can be addicting…)

7 Likes

These are mostly English - the Japanese ones are largely in a disordered pile in my room.

56 Likes

Last month I went crazy and bought the whole 3月のライオン set :heart_eyes:

But I’ve only read about a 20% of what I have so I’m trying to restrain myself from buying more stuff until I’ve read more of it.

42 Likes

I still need to buy bookshelves, so a lot of my manga is here and there.

I do have Yotsuba out to celebrate a new volume coming out soon (that I still need to work out buying):

(Volumes 13 and 14 I bought digital, but I kind of want to get them physical eventually to complete the set. Which will then require volume 15 physical.)

Bunny Drop :+1:

30 Likes

I feel that :joy: Growing around big libraries can really spoil you when it comes to media.
Before I moved I had so many books. I tried to count once and stopped counting when I reached over 600 I think. My room was 8 square meter big so everything was basically covered in books. I started buying ebooks after I moved (and gave away nearly all of my books except for my favorites) to save space but idk something about lockdown made me buy a whole lot of physical books again.

13 Likes

Love those amiibos! I regret not getting them when they initially came out, they’re so pretty!

4 Likes

I’ve only see in the anime (and live action). But I’ve recently gotten back into playing Shogi and would totally love to read the Manga finally

4 Likes