Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

naw…you can make room and if there are space issues then you sell them or give them away…

you’re probably young but digital is really a problem in the long haul…if you consider photos that you took in the 50-70s…there were always prints… then in the 2000s much less printing… and what if you don’t have a file format that can be read… there are many dead file formats already photoCD was a big thing, but now if you don’t have a CD drive nor a program to open them, what do you do… it’s not too late yet to get them back, but 20 more years and w/o printing images they are on some electronic source somewhere backed up or not…maybe they are in the cloud…but you don’t control them and what if those are lost deleted etc… alternatively if you think about older word processing file formats or maybe games you might have played on older computers that you can’t play anymore because they aren’t compatible with the newer systems…what do you do, buy new (if you can…often those are long gone)…

Printed Manga barring natural disasters, war, fire, flooding, insects…will remain readable 50-100 years from now! If the pages aren’t acid free they may yellow, but you can still read them.

3 Likes

You convinced me to never go digital :wink:
Anyway, even put apart your reasons, I already spend quite a lot of time of the day in front of a screen… having my eyes on the paper for a while is like resetting my brain and eyes for that moment… can’t really explain it but I feel actual confort when switching to paper

3 Likes

Having a deja-vu… apologies in advance for eventual repetitions but what is わかんなくって? I bet it’s わからなくって but what is って here?

3 Likes

haha not never…just think about why you are buying it…for a 1-2 times read…then ok who cares…but if you want to look back on it 10+ years from now…if so then maybe you want the physical copy…you could also buy both if you wanted a physical copy and then when the kindle or whatever dies…you can always fall back on paper…just think about what makes the most sense and is important to you…

2 Likes

I rephrase, you convinced me to never go fully digital

Yes, the main idea is that at some point of my life I’ll enter a room somewhere or open some closets and will have a fuckton of mangas in front of me :rofl:

2 Likes

If you end up with 100+ volumes, you’ll have something worth posting here!

3 Likes

Looking forward!!

2 Likes
Chapter 2, Page 8, Panel 5

That is one meaning of てくる, sure, but only in cases where the action is movement related, really.

Other potential uses of てくる:

• “To become~/to start~”

• “To continue~” when used with an ongoing action

In both cases, I kinda reason it out personally as “to come to do verb; to come to continue to do verb” (context tells you which one it is). In this case, Takagi-san has yet to actually do anything to be an obstruction, so I think it’s the “to become~; to start to~” meaning.

This article on に lists a bunch of uses for it, so might be good literature to refer to when you aren’t sure what exactly it is doing. The section that is relevant here is “Marking Verbs Directly,” and even includes a section that talks about に違いない specifically.

The takeaway is that に違いない is translated similar to the に決まっている phrase, and it is formed much the same way.

Overall interpretation:

Literal:

“Undoubtedly (きっと), somehow (何かしら) to become an obstruction it is no different to.”

A bit more natural:

“Undoubtedly, (it’s) not different to (Takagi-san) somehow becoming an obstruction.”

And to put it in fully natural English, not caring about grammar, while also making it the answer to what he asked himself in the speech bubble previously:

“I am sure that she is thinking about somehow obstructing me!”

Disclaimer: “Reasonality” is where Cure Dolly and I part ways. I cannot wrap my head around what she is trying to get at it with it. This is one of the few terms she invented that made me go…why? Somebody who likes the term might be better suited to giving you an explanation, as a result, but I’m just going to explain わけがない as I understand it.

To me, わけ literally just means “reason”. I have not been able to understand why she felt the need to make up a word when that one is right there. Maybe to create an umbrella term because “reason” can be a lot of things, and she wanted to simplify, but coming from my mind, it just didn’t work for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Enough airing my dislike about that, though. If you look at わけ as simply “reason” and tack on がない, it’s as simple as that:

“Reason does not exist.”

Or in natural English:

“There is no reason; there is no way.”

The してこない is tied directly to the previous 邪魔をしてくる. Nishikata is thoroughly convinced that Takagi-san is purely there to get in the way of his studies.

So してこないワケがない is literally:

“To not become (carried over from previous sentence: an obstruction), reason does not exist.”

Naturally phrased:

“There is no reason (for Takagi-san) not to become an obstruction.”

Or

“There is no way Takagi-san will not become an obstruction.”

It’s a little weird in English thanks to the double-negative in the sentence, but it works fine, and double-negatives are perfectly acceptable in Japanese, anyway.

Chapter 2, Page 11, Panel 3

So, I’m a bit torn on this one, honestly. わからなく is adverbial, which is throwing me on giving an explanation, a bit. My brain wants to treat it as a noun.

“Thank you, the thing called barely understanding (って) exists (implied ある).”

Or naturally, “Thank you, I’m barely understanding,” or “Thank you, I have almost no idea.”

I feel like that is the intended vibe of the sentence anyhow.

But I feel like it’s a sentence I’m understanding the meaning without being able to properly justify the grammar that gets me there (という nominalizing is perfectly fine and makes sense, but I’m not understanding why it isn’t just わかんない), which makes me hesitant to offer it as an explanation.

Maybe @ChristopherFritz can weigh in on this one.

4 Likes

Now it all makes sense, actually I thought that 違いないんだ was simply translated as sure or ‘no mistaking it’ but now that you translated it this way I see it’s 違う in it’s noun form with added ない not exist so it’s ‘differing doesn’t exist’

*cough * @ChristopherFritz *cough * :wink: (no need to explain it, I watched the CD video because I found it in one of your old messages of 1y ago)

Apart from the fact that I actually loved her video about it, I though the same, since I still can’t see the need of explaining to that depth and with such wide constructs

Great, this is actually the only meaning I could sense from it!

Oh so did I get it wrong or is it って merely nominalizing?

1 Like

I think it is just nominalizing (という, “~ to be called”), but I have zero confidence in it. I would wait for someone else’s opinion on why it means what it does, because it’s one of those sentences in Japanese where I can understand what it means, but not why. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes
The real déjà vu will be if you read 恋に恋するユカリちゃん later ;)

From what I've seen, this gets used for a little bit of emphasis.

I see it most with じゃなくて => じゃなくって.

(I’d give examples, but they’d be spoilers of later chapters of Takagi, or of upcoming chapters for the Soredemo book club.)

Somehow I feel like my response is a very unsatisfying one.

3 Likes

Actually, no, not unsatisfactory at all! That helped click it into place for me.

It’s likely not という at all, which is what I was stuck on trying to make work, but it is probably just the conjunctive て ending that we see elsewhere that acts like ellipses (implying some connection of some sort), and the っ is just adding emphasis, like the examples you posted.

Now that I think back, we have seen something similar already in the very first chapter of the first volume, when she was pretending to struggle to open her pencil box. The line there is: いやー筆箱があかなくって

That lines up perfectly for me now. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m a bit confused, what is this? Looks like a page of chapter 2 but I couldn’t find it :thinking:

Quite confused by this, what is こっか? I have no clue
Not sure on what 2ページ前から means, I guess ‘from 2 pages before’

2 Likes
Chapter 2, Pg. 14, Panel 2

It’s conjugation and contraction combining to make a mess:

やていく → やていこう volitional form → やてこっ contraction, the おう sound in volitionals often get shortened down, especially when followd by the question particle か, and as we know, い is a common casualty in contracting words.

So in the end:

やってこっか.

You have the right meaning regarding “2 pages before.”

3 Likes

Can’t really get what Takagi means with this line
Even knowing word by word I can’t put them together

Also thought about this for 15 minutes but can’t get it in any way… what is 範囲外?

Edit: I think I got it in this exact moment… with this sentence she meant “ the things I taught you today aren’t in the test “ (or literally ‘…are out of the range of the test’, not covered by the test)

2 Likes

It’s a scene from 「恋に恋するユカリちゃん」 volume two. Some of the stories in that series overlap with the Takagi series.

2 Likes

:fearful: this was tough to recognize… I noticed you left out a small tsu in the や(っ)て, was this on purpose?
All clear!

Edit: (given that yours was a typo and you actually meant やって and not やて), I looked for this expression but I can’t make sense of it in this context, what did takagi-san mean?

2 Likes

Oh I forgot about that manga spin-off… seems worth reading, it’s cool that some of the scenes in that manga describe the background of what was happening to the main characters in the same moments

1 Like

Don’t worry too much, it’s been 8 years and I still don’t get it.

or should I worry…

2 Likes
Chapter 2, Pg 15, Panel 5

“Nah (いやー), something like (なんて) gratitude (お礼) is fine (いいよ).”

It’s pretty common in Japanese to respond to being thanked by downplaying it a bit with いやー or いい, kinda like when in English we say, “No, it’s fine; it’s no problem; don’t worry about it!” when being thanked.

That is correct!

Yeah, definite typo. I was going quickly on mobile. :laughing:

“From 2 pages before, let’s start to do it.”

More naturally:

“Let’s start from 2 pages previously.”

She is suggesting that they go back a couple of pages, so that she can teach him from there to give him better understanding.

1 Like