Set all reviews to come in at same time each day

I think it’d work, if you can manage to finish your reviews in the morning without leaving too many out (you can prioritize the critical kanji and radical reviews with a reorder userscript to at least get those done on time). As for number of reviews, that’ll depend on how many lessons you do every day. I suggest you be consistent with this number, but if you find that you have too many reviews, tweak it down until your workload works for you.

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you! I’ll try it out and adjust as needed :grinning:

ありがとうございます!

1 Like

You can even do a schedule like only doing reviews at 6 am and 6 pm without sacrificing much speed at all!

There’s plenty of options if you want to make it happen…

1 Like

Hmm… How do lessons fit into that?

1 Like

Do the lessons at the time where you want most of your reviews to accumulate. Say that would be the evening. Then you get to the following schedule:

Evening: Lessons
Morning: To Apprentice 2 (after 12 hours instead of 4)
Evening: To Apprentice 3 (after 12 hours instead of 8)
Next evening: To Apprentice 4 (after 24 hours instead of 23)
Two evenings later: Guru (after 48 hours instead of 47).

So it would take you 4 days to guru the first batch, and then another 4 days to level up.

4 Likes

I am currently using a ‘radical’ idea (radical because probably most people would not recommend it at first glance), which is to keep a certain minimum number of reviews in my review queue from one day to the next (whereas many people would recommend completing all reviews until your review queue goes down to 0).

For example, because I want to balance my reviews so they come in in the mornings (before noon, say), I will:

1. First of all, not do any reviews after noon, so that any reviews that happen to arrive in the afternoon or evening just accumulate in my review queue and I only tackle them the next morning.
  2. But most importantly, I will not complete all reviews (down to 0) each morning. Rather, I will leave at least a certain minimum amount – say minimum of 40 if I want to guarantee that I have at least 40 available the next morning. Essentially, ‘40’ becomes my new ‘0’.
    1. In order to accomplish this without accidentally ‘overdoing it’ (by doing more reviews than I intended) I use the “Wrap Up” button (with the little :clock9: icon) during reviews to either a) Press Wrap Up somewhere between 50 and 60 reviews remaining, so that it limits me to 10 more reviews, and I’ll end up finishing with between 40 and 50 reviews left in the queue, or b) Immediately press Wrap Up at the beginning of every session, so I’m only ever doing 10 reviews at a time; if I want to review more, I just do another session-of-10-reviews back to back.

This somewhat messes with the SRS timings, particularly the first two Apprentice levels (4 hrs and 8 hrs), but works perfectly well after those. If you really need to, you can always just review those early Apprentice items whenever they are ready, and then once they get to 23-hr level just let them fall naturally into the next-day’s queue. Honestly, I don’t treat them any differently, since I’m not going for top speed, and I only handle a small-ish number of new Lessons per day, so I’m able to remember them easily the next morning.

The main benefit here is that you’ll always have some minimum number of reviews you could do even if the timings of recent reviews throw them off your chosen schedule. I believe this would address the OP’s main concern.

There is a secondary benefit (at least it’s a benefit in my opinion, others will differ), which is that by keeping a minimum number of reviews in your queue, any ‘shuffling’ that you have enabled will tend to work better. Specifically, you’ll get less ‘lumping’ of reviews all of the same type or same level, because there’s always a chance that some of your current reviews will be left in your minimum queue at the end of the day, and thus get ‘separated’ from any ‘lump’ they were a part of. Thus, you tend to get a more steady flow of reviews over time, less ‘ups and downs’.

Of course, if you’re going for top speed, this is not a very good way to manage things, because you might get some radicals or critical kanjis randomly ending up getting delayed a day or two here or there. But if you’re like me and :durtle_hello: Durtling the Scenic Route :turtle:, then a little ‘delay’ in leveling up here or there doesn’t matter much. Ultimately, you’ll end up doing about the same amount of ‘work’ overall anyway; it may just be spread out over time a bit more.

TL;DR: If you keep a minimum number of reviews remaining in your review queue at the end of each day’s last review session, you are guaranteed to have at least that minimum number of reviews available at the beginning of the next day’s first review session. Just pick your minimum-number as it suits you.

2 Likes

wouldnt ankiweb be the solution?

I have never used it but I guess you can set the schedule yourself there.

even here on WK you can do reviews when you want, of course. I do a batch around noon and then another late night to end the day. That’s it.

And I am quite fast this way. 1,5 years into WK and level 41.

2 Likes

You can’t customize the settings through ankiweb, you need to use the actual Anki client.

How is this “radically changing” the website? I’m asking for the reviews to come at X Time, rather then in small batches at 5pm 6pm and 7pm as they currently do. You’re being unsympathetic for no reason. You work right? I don’t see how its hard to empathize with not wanting to wake up at 5AM just to keep a consistent WK schedule.

1 Like

I’m not being unsympathetic, I’m being realistic. The intervals are the way they are and they didn’t give us users control over them. You don’t need to wake up at 5 AM.

Yes, I work too, but I’ve worked the intervals into my schedule. When I wake up, in my lunch break, and then in the evening. I don’t spend more than 30-45 minutes overall in Wanikani throughout the day, for me it’s not a big time sacrifice.

All I did was let you know how the intervals work so you can do the same for yourself, I’m sorry if that rubbed you the wrong way.

9 Likes

What sort of job is that where you can do it before during and after hah. I assure you the change I’m asking for is would be no more then a mornings worth of work, a time scroller and one database call is a radical change friend.

Then send then an email suggesting it, and stop attacking me for no reason.

2 Likes

Attacking? Are you serious? You entered here to say that WK just shouldn’t work like that, argue with me for no reason, and then for whatever reason completely assumed that because you’re able to do reviews at 3 different times in a day, that everyone is able to do that.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, please forgive me.

3 Likes

No worries, I will take up your email suggestion, have a good day/night friend.

You too!

1 Like

That’s not going to happen, in fact for the longer intervals the opposite is true. The 1 day interval is actually 23 hours. The 2 day interval is also 1 hour short. As are the other long intervals to my memory. :thinking: (unless something has changed)

1. Create a web interface for managing multiple time intervals
  2. Update the database to store the time intervals
  3. Create a new Spaced Repetition System in the Wanikani API (WaniKani API Reference)
  4. Update the code to execute the new Spaced Repetition System

Seems like it would take some time, but they did set up the API 2 to support multiple repetition systems (as shown in the link), so it’s very possible that they could do something like this. I’ve seen them make updates to the SRS in the past, such as rounding reviews to the nearest 15 minutes, and cutting 1 hour off of intervals larger than 23 hours, but that’s not a lot of change in 9 years - so based on experience, the chance of them implementing this is pretty low. Still worth sending them an email so they know there’s interest!

Where I live, an 8 hour work day is required to have two 15 minute paid breaks and at least a 30 minute unpaid lunch break. Not to mention my state worker friends who complain about having nothing to do at work lol

8 Likes

op, it is not written in stone you have to follow wk schedule review to do them at 5 am as soon as they appear and after a while, actually the schedule changes

before hell levels most of my review pile I did at 8 am, around 55 items, now it changed to 4 pm a batch of 55 at least. So I do them when I get home from work. No big deal, I am not a speedrunner to finish wk.

but if you want to speedrun, it is up to you.

5 Likes

Wanikani’s SRS system is to the hour when you should review. If you want something once a day I recommend using Anki instead.

1 Like