All Reviews At X Time

Can we please get a Daily Review time setting? I sent an email over 2 years ago that did get multiple responses that it would be on the ‘later roadmap’ but I’m opening it here again instead.

I understand that for people looking to speed run Wanikani that getting reviews all throughout the day can be a benefit. But for me I work full time on flexible hours and do my reviews once a day when I have access to my computer. So it ends up a lot of the time I can’t get all my reviews as they’ll come later in the day (When I’m working).

I see two ways this can be easily implemented:

(1) Lets say it hits 3AM
A setting in which all my reviews become available regardless of when they were supposed to come through on that particular day. Wanikani already knows what reviews I’m going to have for the day, just that they are timegated by the Hour, if this setting was changed to retrieve by the entire day (once a day) it would solve this immediately.

Current:
chrome_Qhl5qeNodr

Example of how it would look after solution (1):

chrome_PdrGSi3MxP

(2) A setting which makes the review button get whichever reviews are available for that day.
Quite simply, as again Wanikani already knows (And provides) you the exact number of reviews that you will have outstanding for that day. Adding a setting that instead of when you click review its looking at the total number per hour you have, clicking review instead provides all reviews on that day (EG 2024/03/19 having 100 reviews, would give all those reviews, instead of 60 that are time locked to 6PM)

Lastly to paraphase my previous comment in another topic:
This logic would be actually be simpler (and less resource intensive) then how they currently they have it setup to work out by the hour what is provided for you in reviews, the setting I’m asking would filter the entire day when you click the review button (Or just have a trigger period where it sets all the times to ready for that day [slightly more resource intensive]).

Bunpro, Anki, and all other ‘major’ SRS related Japanese services, and programs all have this feature, yet Wanikani being the largest does not.

4 Likes

@tofugu-scott @Mods Please if you could consider this.

For archiving purposes here is the thread from 2 years ago:

Not sure which @Mods would remember browsing this thread back then.

I’m heading towards level 30 and intend on ramping up my Wanikani lessons so this is really a crucial setting for me, all other SRS programs I use have something similar that lets me do them at any time of day in one sitting. And although I am a lifetime member, this on its own really prevents me currently recommending Wanikani to others as its the 1 piece of learning that I have to base my day around, rather then the service being based around my day.

Thank you.

1 Like

I feel like you’re getting hung up on something which isn’t really a problem, does it really matter if you don’t get your reviews down to 0 each day? Say 15 items are due after your daily review slot, just do them tomorrow. Worst case the item is 1 day overdue but if you’re reviewing once per day then already the lower apprentice items are close to 1 day overdue and for everything else, 24hrs is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I can understand maybe the satisfaction of seeing 0 reviews, the sense of completing the task. Also why not add more options for users it doesn’t hurt anyone I guess… but ultimately I don’t think this hinders the learning process at all

6 Likes

If missing over half of your days reviews because you’re on shift is not a problem for you that’s ok. It is for me and I’d like it not to continue. I’d rather not have to keep making this case as people keep telling me same as in the last thread from 2 years ago that I should just get over it.

1 Like

There’s a subquestion here of how this interacts with the apprentice 1 and 2 review intervals of 4 and 8 hours. For those WK is kind of expecting you to review the same item twice in one day. (There was some simulations and graphing in another thread that suggested that because of that doing reviews in 2 batches rather than 1 makes quite a big difference in how fast you go through WK.) I wonder how bunpro deals with those since they have short sub day intervals too.

7 Likes

It seems that for you a standard flashcard app would be better? WK works best if you can at least somewhat adhere to the SRS algorithm. But if you can only review once per day at one specific time, then probably another app would be more suitable for you? Also I agree with the others in that this is not really an issue… Just review what is available to you whenever you get to do reviews. You will progress. It’s not a race, you will move forward. You can also supplement your studies with something else, so that you don’t feel the void of no reviews. Maybe make it a goal to also read one NHK easy news article after you did your reviews?

2 Likes

If this feature got implemented, I would definitely want it to be optional.

4 Likes

Absolutely, I completely understand the need for those going at a fast pace, however I am 100% sure there is a large amount of people who also do reviews exactly the same as me, once and then they move on with the rest of their day.

1 Like

I use both, this is an extremely simple feature available on all other SRS sites / programs. Wanikani is the forefront for the JP SRS scene so it’s more then odd they are the ones without it.

Their solution which works very well is they have the freshest learned items on their normal SRS queue, after they’ve been reviewed (3) times and if you have the setting on, they go into the 3AM reset pile which makes them ready every night. In that way they accommodate both those going fast and those who only review once per day in one toggle.

1 Like

I’m inclined to agree. I don’t really see a justification for increasing the complexity of the review timings. If I were in this position, I’d just do my reviews at a consistent time each day; any that are left over (appearing later in the same day) would just make an appearance the next day instead. The number of remaining reviews each day wouldn’t be zero, but I don’t see how this is functionally any different than what’s been proposed here.

If you read the entire post you’ll see why checking for a whole day is simpler then calculating all reviews needed per hour per person.

If you miss out on half of todays reviews, then wouldn’t you have half of yesterdays reviews to do today as well? There would be no difference in workload right?

The only place where I see this actually having an impact would be in new items, which would defeat the purpose of the early SRS anyways.

I don’t think having the option is bad necessarily, but it doesn’t seem like that’s what the system is for.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s simpler. The logic for the current review timings already exists. Not changing the timing logic is simpler than implementing a new feature.

2 Likes

I don’t really get why people want to debate improving the product with an optional feature.

No as you’re still assuming I’m reaching the computer at the same time everyday.

Review timing calculation is going to use an extremely small amount of resources whichever way you do it. The extra complexity is all going to be in having to have code to do it both ways and provide and document a user facing toggle to select it.

Every optional feature has a cost like that, which means picking it versus doing something else is a potentially difficult product choice, not a no brainer (especially if you don’t want your product to end up with a hundred configurable options). It sounds like from the comments in the other thread this one is under serious consideration, though.

2 Likes

The purpose of pointing that out is to squash the ‘the team doesn’t know how to do that its too complicated.’ posts.

I’m not arguing that it’s too complicated for the team to implement it. I’m arguing that the additional complexity isn’t justified because this change would not markedly affect the behavior of reviews, except that it could cause problems with the sub-day review timings (as pointed out by @pm215).

There are lots of potentially useful features that the team behind WaniKani won’t implement. That’s why there’s such an active community of userscript developers.

This is a straw man argument. You’re immediately discrediting everyone who has a different opinion about the utility of this feature by insisting it’s an improvement. I don’t really think it is. If every user suggestion were implemented as an optional feature, WaniKani would quickly become a mess and the code would become a bowl of spaghetti.

I believe, in fact, that this proposed change would have virtually no effect on the time or computational resources needed to schedule reviews.

3 Likes