Script request if available: Batch up "readings" and "meanings"?

Hi all!

I was wondering if there is a script available that would organize all my reviews to show all the “readings” first and then “meanings” afterwards (or vice versa). It’s not too much of a big deal, but because its so randomized, I have to keep paying attention to whether or not WK wants the reading or meaning and it slows down my review time significantly. If all “readings” or “meanings” came first, and I knew that I was doing it one way the whole time, I would be able to breeze through the reviews.

Thanks!

-GreekCupOTea

1 Like

This script is theoretically possible, but it would defeat one of the main designs of the review system. Right now, there are only 10 “active” review items at a time. This increases the chances of completing both halves of a review in a reasonable amount of time, as well as allows the “wrap up” feature to work, since this feature has you finish the 10 “active” review items.

What you’re asking for would require removing the “active” queue concept (or at least the 10 item limit), since if you have 200 reviews it would require 200 active items, and would probably require tweaking the “wrap up” feature to account for this as well. Additionally, there is a major risk involved. Right now, WaniKani only stores partially done reviews on the browser’s local storage, and it expires after something like 2 hours. With the current system, if you leave in the middle of a review session for too long, you may lose progress on up to 10 reviews (the “active” items). But with your proposal, you could lose progress on much more than that.

So again, it is theoretically possible to get a script to do what you want, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of all the potential impacts of such a script.

1 Like

I see I didn’t think it would affect the program that much, but that makes sense. I wasn’t aware of the technicalities with “wrap up” since I’ve only been using WK for a couple of weeks and have always sat through my entire sessions. It’s okay though, I’ll just have to get used to the back & forth of thinking in English and Japanese.

1 Like

As yukinet said, the Reorder Ultimate Script has a setting called 1x1 mode, which lets you review meaning and reading of an item back to back. You’ll still have to mentally switch between English and Japanese, but it’s always the same order so you don’t have to actively think about which one WaniKani is asking for. It sped up my review speed quite a bit.

3 Likes

Ah thank you! I’ll have to check it out. It would definitely help speed things up a bit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.