Script for highlighting radicals in lessons

Hello! I am new to WaniKani and was wondering if there was a script that highlighted radicals you already learned inside the lessons:

So for instance, in this case it would highlight cross and ground as pink to indicate they are radicals I have already learned. Thanks so much!

Honestly reckon this is something vanilla WaniKani should do. Radical components are highlighted for kanji, why aren’t they highlighted for other radicals?

@Mods ?

1 Like

Are you sure you don’t have some user script installed by any chance? I don’t see highlighted components… (I’m using Chrome on Android)

Nah, vanilla WaniKani. For example, the kanji :

Meanwhile, the radical blue, which is described in almost exactly the same way as “You have life on top of the moon”, lacks any highlighting.

Blue

Though granted this is the item’s actual page rather than the lesson. Confess it’s been a looong time since I did any lessons, so maybe it’s different…

Oh, then I misunderstood you. I mistakenly imagined that you were referring to something like what renshuu has:

1 Like

Hm, this may be by design, as we teach radicals as stand-alone components that make up kanji and it might get a little confusing if we consciously break down radicals into more radicals.

That said, that’s just my opinion, so I’ll bring it up to the team to see if it’s something we want to change.

4 Likes

Thanks so much! Do you think it would be complex to make a script for this if I wanted to try to do so.

I would agree that this is intentional. Radicals are not divisible (in practice; the form may be composed of different radicals, as with the previously mentioned radical 青). I don’t know whether there are official lists of radicals in Japanese, but I know that one of the most common lists of radicals in Chinese (Kangxi radicals) includes 一 (1), 十 (24), and 土 (32) as separate entities. If you were to look up a character in a dictionary indexed by radicals, a character with 土 as the indexed component would not appear under 十. I think you may potentially confuse yourself if you start to think of radicals as entities composed of other radicals, because then every radical would eventually boil down to some combination of individual strokes and the mnemonic devices for kanji wouldn’t work.

Futher, 土 (Kangxi 32) and 士 (33) are distinct radicals; the difference is the length of the first horizontal stroke relative to the second. I think this helps highlight why this particular example can’t be divided into simpler pieces. I imagine both would be a combination of 十 and 一 (or, if we’re allowing radicals to simplify, wouldn’t this character end up as 一, |, and 一? who decides where to stop simplifying?), but the components alone do not provide enough information.

Here’s an example of a dictionary indexed by radicals (and, by extension, an example of why you don’t want to do this):