[Request] Wrong answer lesson review

As usual, I have no idea where this goes on the easy / difficult / completely-impossible-you-crazy-fool to make scale (I have a feeling it may be towards the impossible side), but I’ll throw it out here anyway.

I think it would be really useful if, after a review session, there was a ‘learn wrong answers’ button to click which would then take you to a lesson session to review all your wrong answers. If possible there could be the quiz at the end, but that wouldn’t be strictly necessary.

I really dislike the way things are laid out on the item pages and having to click back and forth to your review summary for each wrong item then scroll up and down the page to view the info you tripped up on is not, for me at least, conducive to relearning them. Lesson pages, on the other hand, I think are brilliantly organised and there are so many times I wish I could view them again. Can’t speak for others, but I feel this would really improve my WK experience and would be especially useful for clearing those pesky leeches I still have from the single digit levels.

The actual input screen where the wrong answer occurs is where I do the reviewing. Red shows up, I just open the info box. I guess maybe you don’t want to break up the flow of reviews? I guess it’d be nice for the summary page to lay things out more like that if you want it to, but I think they imagine you’ll check it on the spot if you want to.

Leebo said... The actual input screen where the wrong answer occurs is where I do the reviewing. Red shows up, I just open the info box. I guess maybe you don't want to break up the flow of reviews? I guess it'd be nice for the summary page to lay things out more like that if you want it to, but I think they imagine you'll check it on the spot if you want to.
 I do check it there usually - and ought to do it every time. Sometimes though I'm just getting reviews done and out the way so don't have time to really reread everything properly. Also, you're then straight back into recalling dozens of other items and, you're right, it feels a bit like stepping out that flow. Honestly, I just really like the way things are laid out in the lessons (especially with the hide answer script) and would love to be able to flip through them in that format again - somehow seems to focus me on the idea I'm learning (relearning) stuff rather than recalling.

This is a nice idea, even though I don’t usually need to read a whole info page again, just seeing the right answer reminds me of everything. But I would likely use such a script.

From what I understand, the point of SRS is so that you can review what you don’t know more often than you review what you do know.

EskimoJo said... This is a nice idea, even though I don't usually need to read a whole info page again, just seeing the right answer reminds me of everything. But I would likely use such a script.
 Maybe a toggle to select only the ones you want? Although I'd probably still go through them all anyway. You're luckier than me, by the way - I often see the answer and am like: What?! I have never seen this kanji before! Then I read the mnemonic and (in a much smaller voice) go: Oh yeah, now I remember.

I have a sneaking suspicion that going to the lessons pages may be something rather difficult to do, unfortunately. Hopefully one of the programmers will let us know.

Nickbrownie said... From what I understand, the point of SRS is so that you can review what you don't know more often than you review what you do know.
 You understand correctly.
riccyjay said...
EskimoJo said... This is a nice idea, even though I don't usually need to read a whole info page again, just seeing the right answer reminds me of everything. But I would likely use such a script.
 Maybe a toggle to select only the ones you want? Although I'd probably still go through them all anyway. You're luckier than me, by the way - I often see the answer and am like: What?! I have never seen this kanji before! Then I read the mnemonic and (in a much smaller voice) go: Oh yeah, now I remember.

I have a sneaking suspicion that going to the lessons pages may be something rather difficult to do, unfortunately. Hopefully one of the programmers will let us know.

Nickbrownie said... From what I understand, the point of SRS is so that you can review what you don't know more often than you review what you do know.
 You understand correctly.
Ha! I did say 'usually', I still have enough brain fart moments to wonder if I am in fact an idiot (had one today with 剰 - I used my own radical division (ride ribs) and mnemonic, so the WK one was new to me, but I was convinced I had never seen the kanji in my life...).

I also use the addon that lets you mark items, and then I can go over my list of marked/saved items to clarify later. The marked items are available on every item page, so there is less back and forth. Here it is: /t/Userscript-Item-Marker/12914/1

Yes, actually one way script could be crafted? is – when you answer an item wrong, you are forced to answer the item right for 3 times before finishing the review. 
I got this idea from Anki, where I could ‘Review Forgotten Items’ with the setting ‘1 1 1 1’.

About Item Marker Script, in my opinion, it is not developed enough, though I still keep it installed.

I love this idea!!!
After reviews I try to re-review all my wrong answers. On the review summary screen, starting with the first item, I try recall both the meaning and reading, then hover my mouse over the item to make sure its right. I find having to re-review it immediately can help it stick in my thick skull longer. Maybe this could help you too if you’re studying on a PC?

@EskimoJo and polv: Thanks for the suggestion of the item marker. I actually have it already, but for other people reading this I second getting that script if you’re having the type of trouble I’m talking about. I agree it’s a little underdeveloped, but it’s still a very good idea. Actually, perhaps the best solution would be if you could use the item marker to go to lesson pages since sometimes I get things wrong that I don’t need more than a quick refresh (of exactly the type suggested by @Isabella). Would also help differentiate similar items since I often end up with a few of those in my marked items.

Isabella said... I love this idea!!!
After reviews I try to re-review all my wrong answers. On the review summary screen, starting with the first item, I try recall both the meaning and reading, then hover my mouse over the item to make sure its right. I find having to re-review it immediately can help it stick in my thick skull longer. Maybe this could help you too if you're studying on a PC?
The one reason why the hovering is annoying is that it doesn't show all the synonyms (WK's or the user's).