Registering a kindle to Japan

I have bought a new Kindle Oasis which I want to use for Japanese content. I have read several threads here on how to register a kindle in Japan but I still have problems to do so.

I currently have an account with Amazon (Germany) and with Amazon (Japan) with my real postal address (in Germany), two different email addresses and two different passwords.

I tried to open yet another account with amazon.jp planning to use a Japanese address. In the course of creating this account I am asked for an email address (I used yet another one) which was then verified by sending a temporary password to this email address. In the next step I was asked for a mobile phone number. I gave the only number that I have and was told that there already is an account connected to this phone number. I could have continued but my existing account would have been cancelled then.

So I gave up the idea of creating a second ā€œJapaneseā€ account with amazon.jp. I then tried to change the region of my existing account, but this didnā€™t work either. I get the message:

Clicking on ā€œManage Your Content and Devicesā€ just reloads the same page.

2 Likes

i have two separate accounts for amazon.co.jp and for the rest of amazon. i canā€™t remember giving amazon.co.jp my phone number, but if i did, that wasnā€™t a problem.

the real clincher for me was giving amazon.co.jp a japanese shipping address. i used tenso.com to get a legit shipping address, itā€™s free as long as you donā€™t use it for physical items.

you can give the amazon.co.jp multiple shipping addresses. that way you might not have to make two accounts there? i just have to make sure to have the right address selected when buying stuff which they canā€™t sell overseas (e.g. digital versions of manga).

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got this message sometimes trying to order Kindle books with my Amazon.jp account and what worked was using a VPN (set to a Japan location) for making the order.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ll mostly second what has already been said, but for the record:

• I use two addresses
  • Kindle uses a Japanese one for my ā€œlocationā€, but for the billing/credit card details I use the overseas one and itā€™s working fine (for Kindle only, I wasnā€™t able to buy music and audiobooks with the overseas billing address, but it wasnā€™t that important for me)
  • I only ever used VPN for the very first purchase (but I did use it)
  • I think the most worrying thing is that you cannot access ā€œManage Your Content and Devicesā€ page, as this is where you change your Kindle region which is separate from the addresses list

1 Like

There was no way of avoiding this step? I think back then I skipped it.
Recently, Amazon JP always keeps asking me to add a phone number and I decline.

You canā€™t create an account without giving a phone number. They use it to confirm your login.

Bummerā€¦ A couple of years ago this was not a requirementā€¦

Somehow, I have an account on Amazon.jp, using the same mail address and password as my french account and I can buy on Amazon.jp and even use a japanese kindle accountā€¦ I think my Iphone and Ipad can make the difference between the 2 thatā€™s why I can do that I thinkā€¦
Itā€™s weird that you need to be a japanese customer to use Amazon.jp when Amazon.jp delivers to other countries

Itā€™s about the rights to the digital distribution something something. Which would be fine if digital Japanese version of the books would be available in the other regions too, but they arenā€™t :roll_eyes:
I agree it should work as with importing physical items, eh. :confused:

1 Like