Recognizing spelling mistakes

Since I use English all the time, my brain automatically notices spelling mistakes. Many browsers also support spell correction, which makes it even easier to identify problems. However, it’s not the same for Japanese, especially with kana. I don’t have a sense for when something is correct or incorrect except when I purposefully read what is written.

At least for now, this problem applies to my SRS reviews with WaniKani, HouHou, and BunPro, since those use kana as input. I would ideally like to go as fast as possible, while also noticing any typos I make. (Typos occur more often for WaniKani on mobile.) Unfortunately, the going fast part is preventing me from actually double-checking effectively.

I would like to get better at identifying mistakes. More practice is a generically good answer, but I’m looking for more specific advice. What techniques would you recommend?

I don’t think there’s much technique to apply here. You just need your brain to make the right connections for pattern recognition. So, as you said, read more.

In my case, I also try to go a bit slower, and really read all individual kana. The problem is that I found my brain has no problem filling in the correct information when I am just reading quickly through something. (Obviously, the same apply in English, where I may even overlook letters being swpaed around).

5 Likes

I was having a similar problem, and I second Nath’s advice to slow down just a bit and read each kana. I started doing that a few months ago and have found that slowing down initially to really check over what I’ve written has increased my ability to do so quickly. So, while I didn’t notice typos before, I do much more often now and I don’t have to check nearly as carefully as before.

I agree with what’s been said and only want to add that I think the “ignore script “ or whatever it’s called is probably unhelpful for learning to recognize mistyped kana.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.