📚📚 Read Every Day Challenge - Winter 2024 🎍☃🌲

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 10 :bamboo: :snowman_with_snow: :evergreen_tree:

・ 夏のレプリカ Replaceable Summer (63% → 67%)

Short read today. Some of that 4% I read before falling asleep last night. Today was tiring. Got plenty of time to read tomorrow tho :3!

20 Likes

Jan 11 | Home

Much to do to internalise many of the words in here, but I feel strong!!!

28 Likes

Woo! Congrats and well done! :star_struck: :partying_face: :sparkles:

9 Likes

How are made these charts ? Do you have to check each time you read a section to get them ? :thinking:

4 Likes

Yeah, when you log progress you can attach count of pages and time:

7 Likes

Thank you, I’ll have to try !

4 Likes

Woah, that was fast!

5 Likes

OHHH how have i never noticed this?! i want to see what my reading pace is… :thinking:

6 Likes

you do need to time every single reading session you do which is why the amount of stopwatches in my home is rapidly multiplying

11 Likes

home link

1月10日

Today I read よむ???

This one I think was the first that had several different words in katakana, so it was nice to practice that! Hilariously enough, I had no idea what よむ meant when I started, and it only clicked about halfway through that it seemed to mean “to read” lol.

I’ve been sticking with the Tadoku recommendation of not looking up words while reading, so when I do run into something I don’t know, I look them up later. The pictures are nice because when the story is simple enough, I can try to deduce what a word means and confirm it later. 公園 was an example of this today.

Does anyone else follow this strategy for graded readers? I’m curious :thinking:

Anyway, tomorrow I’ll be reading どっち?

おやすみ~💤

22 Likes

1月9日

Forgot to update here, but I read 3 level 0 graded readers and finished chapter 7 of my grammar textbook.

1月10日

I read 6 level 0 graded readers on Tadoku and read chapter 8 of my grammar textbook. I’m going to have to return to that chapter tomorrow because it suddenly threw a bunch of new vocab and grammar forms at me, so Ill have to spend more time to make sure I actually understand it.

20 Likes

I also read through first without looking anything up. If there’s anything I didn’t figure out the meaning of by the end, I’ll go back through and look it up then.

My reasoning for it is that reading it and deciphering it are two different things at this point. When I stop to look up an unknown word as soon as I encounter it, I’m no longer looking at the sentence as a whole. So first I read without necessarily understanding, then I go back to figure out the parts I didn’t understand. (I figure the repetition is good for my learning anyway).

Though I’ll admit I don’t always go look things up for the graded readers, since I usually read them on my lunch break. But with my textbook passages or anything else that’s more intensive, I’m like a detective going through and collecting kanj, verbs, and new bits of grammar :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

:man_walking: back to my home post

:star2: 01月09日 Read: Progress:
:sunrise_over_mountains: Oku Nikkou 1 ep 4/62 eps
:owl: ハリーポッターと賢者の石 9% → 9%
:star2: 01月10日 Read: Progress:
:ghost: グースバンプス 2 pgs 16/189 pgs

I got really hung up today on one kanji lookup when I was reading Goosebumps. Turns out I suck at identifying radicals in unknown kanji lmao

18 Likes

:umbrella: :notebook: 1月 10日 :memo: :umbrella:

Book Natively Progress Notes
:green_book: 美知子の星空 Lv 19 18% → 26% graded reader

Just read some pages from 「美知子」 because my focus today was mostly on listening practice and, Michiko, girl,

SPOILER

HE IS CHEATING ON YOU FR!!!

tch :unamused:

See you tomorrow AHAHA

zoom back up to home thread

17 Likes

Home post

Jan 10

Read chapter 56 of スキップ・ビート!And then did some reading in English too, since I actually have a lot of books in English I want to read too, but have only been reading in Japanese for a while.

My time per volume seems to fluctuate, but I think for me that’s because the volumes also fluctuate in terms of text density and unknown words? But yeah, I think enjoying reading is the most important too!

Congrats!! :tada:

17 Likes

I read " 30 歳まで童貞だと魔法使いになれるらしい" (Cherry Magic) book 3 last night from start to finish in an hour and a half. I was looking up words I didn’t know which slowed down my reading, but at least I can say I understood 98% with this method.

17 Likes

Congrats, that’s amazing! :smiley:

5 Likes

Day 10

Home post

(ちい)さな(もり)のオオカミちゃん chapters 5 & 6

New words:
()()げる - to launch
星空(ほしぞら) - starry sky
水玉(みずだま) - polka dots

19 Likes

Oh that’s amazing, congrats of leveling up, so to say :smiley:

11 Likes

I may or may not have forgotten when I updated last, so I am just going with a guess of around the last 3 days. I know I read daily but I don’t remember what anymore. :smile:

1月9日
Tadoku reader on Valentine’s Day in Japan.

1月10日
I read around 5-8 pages of Yotsuba-to 1. I bought this manga probably 5 years ago and haven’t gotten past the first 10 pages. But now I feel more ready to tackle this one.

1月11日
I read the Tadoku Dojo story on December in Japan. Really nice insights into what traditions exist in Japan in December.

:open_book:
Home post

22 Likes