📚📚 Read Every Day Challenge - Winter 2024 🎍☃🌲

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 6 :bamboo: :snowman_with_snow: :evergreen_tree:

・ 夏のレプリカ Replaceable Summer (39% → 42%)

I finished week 3. Other than that, I’ve just been chilling all day to be honest. Slept really well, waking up this morning was like, nomnom. Best sleep of the year.

23 Likes

home post

1月6日

Read through どうぞどうも

It was a pretty cute short story that showed different ways どうぞ and どうも can be used in everyday scenarios. It also introduced me to how to read and say the days of the week! I might come back to this to practice those more. I was happy to recognize some of the hiragana in them through my time with WK.

Tomorrow I’ll move on to ありますか?

みんなおやすみ~

19 Likes

Ohhh I do so love the art in this series as well! It’s one of my favorites! I read it in english originally but I happened to run into a Japanese volume in half price books so now I’m ahead of the english release by a few chapters since I’ve been reading vol 12. Plus I’ve started collecting the limited edition packs which are only available in Japan… Probably gonna end up converting this series to entirely Japanese in my collection.

Pics of Witch Hat Atelier art and plushie from vol 11 and 12

20 Likes

Home Post

This first week has gone pretty well! I had to force myself to sit down and do it but once I was started I had fun. Still keeping it slow. Really excited to get Witch Hat Atelier sooner than I would’ve in English lol. Thanks half price books and ebay.

1月1日
東京リベンジャーズ22 Ch 196-197
わたしの幸せな結婚 → 41%

1月2日
わたしの幸せな結婚 → 42% Finally finished chapter 2! I ignored this book for quite a while…

1月3日
とんがり帽子のアトリエ 12 Ch 64

1月4日
とんがり帽子のアトリエ 12 Ch 65

1月5日
とんがり帽子のアトリエ 12 Ch 66

1月6日
とんがり帽子のアトリエ 12 Ch 67

24 Likes

AHHHH this art is so beautiful :sob: I almost regret taking so long to pick it up but I’m just so glad I’m at a suitable level to read it. I’m jealous of your collection! Hopefully I’ll be able to put together a set of the books the next time I make it to Japan ^–^

8 Likes

It gets more complex as it goes on. Vocabularies sometimes aren’t in standard form (危い is 危あぶない or 危あやうい? Probably the first.)

I’ll consider exploring the author or the genre for sure. How about the upcoming book club pick? (Waiting for conclusion, though.)

9 Likes

Home post

Jan 6

• Chapters 139 and 140 from シャドーハウス
  • This week’s chapter 12 from 舞妓さんち
18 Likes

:man_walking: back to my home post

:star2: 01月06日 Read: Progress:
:ghost: グースバンプス 1 pg 13/189 pgs

Read ahead the next page too, but I’ll be reading it again tomorrow and actually looking up words. It’s working pretty well with goosebumps to read ahead a page, get the gist, and then go back and check definitions.

21 Likes

1月6日

Did a heavier day of reading today. I finished all the exercises in Unit 5 of my grammar textbook, read 2 NHK News Easy articles about the earthquake, and 2 level 0 Tadoku books.

I also hit level 7 on my Wanikani lessons today, so I’m feeling pretty accomplished! :blush:

21 Likes

Jan 7

夜のピクニック 34% - 40%

Approaching the halfway mark :eyes:

21 Likes

:umbrella: :notebook: 1月 6日 :memo: :umbrella:

Book Natively Progress Notes
:womans_hat: とんがり帽子のアトリエ Lv 26 20% → 26%

I had a very busy day today, so I only had enough time for 12 pages :pray: Hopefully I can read more tomorrow! I’m getting close to the end of the chapter.

See you tomorrow („• ֊ •„)

↑ zoom back up to home thread

20 Likes

Day 6

Home post

Read chapters 46-56 and finished 猫のようなナニカ. Tomorrow/today (it’s 12:16am) I’ll finish よつばと volume 4, then start something new. Bookwalker is having some good sales, so I just need to figure out how to use it.

22 Likes

1月 6日
I believe I read one NHK easy article. But I cannot fully recall which one it was.

1月7日
I read the funniest tadoku graded reader about Cat Economics :smiley: I had no idea cats had such a big impact in Japan. I knew of course about the waving cat but besides that, no much more. Glad I now know that cat day is 22 Feb (the story tells you why :wink: )

22 Likes

Home Post

A 01月07日 Read: Progress:
:tiger: 文豪ストレイドッグス Vol 1 8 pages 025/190
:wolf: 小さな森の狼ちゃん Vol 1 24 pages 049/175

Read through chapter 2 of Okami-chan this morning. I have to say for me it’s a bit too cutesy ha, but practice is practice and I added 21 new words from it to my Anki deck.

Also re-read Bungo from the beginning, plus 8 more pages, just to help refresh the new vocab learnt. I also tried reading aloud, which was far harder than I imagined!

Accurate illustration of me trying to remember the meaning and pronunication of words I've just learnt whilst also speaking long sentences aloud

(On a side, does anyone know of any websites/apps to help practice that kind of thing? I imagine shadowing would be good but just wondered if there was something set up for beginners where you read along/it records you - something like that.)

19 Likes

The site Speechling does something like that. I haven’t used it much, but there are a bunch of sentences you can listen to made by natives and then you shadow/record yourself. You can easily send those recordings and natives will review your audio.

13 Likes

Ah cheers thank you :slight_smile:
I’ll check that out!

5 Likes

1月7日 | Home post

• ふらいんぐうぃっち (2) Chapter 8

This chapter felt a bit more difficult than the previous ones. I may or may not read another chapter today, but for now I need to do some work. And with this, the first week of the challenge is complete.

Edit: I ended up not reading more chapters today, but I reached my goal of listening to the first 1000 episodes of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners! I should have moved on to harder podcasts some time ago, but I wanted a nice round number :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

Jan 7, Sun of Week 1 of Q1 2024

• JoJo Part 1, 3 chapters

• DIJG : に代わって, に比べて

• いちばんやさしい世界史の本 (31-32%)

Words of the day
  • 勃興ぼっこう = sudden rise to power
  • 一掃いっそう = eradication; wiping out (e.g. enemy troops)

Book highlights

サラディン = Saladin - Wikipedia (Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub, c. 1137 – 4 March 1193)

ムラービト朝 = Almoravid dynasty - Wikipedia
ムワッヒド朝 = Almohad Caliphate - Wikipedia

クシュ = Kingdom of Kush - Wikipedia. Having the city of メロエ (= Meroë - Wikipedia)
アクスム王国 = Kingdom of Aksum - Wikipedia
マリ王国 = Mali Empire - Wikipedia
ソンガイ王国 = Songhai Empire - Wikipedia, but 帝国?

17 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :teapot: Home post and thread

1月7日日曜日

:open_book: Title Source Notes
:cat2: ネコノミクス Yomujp Thanks for sharing it @Jojo_Sunshine, it was fun !
:sushi: 寿司(すし) Japanese Graded Readers A short historical and cultural introduction to sushi. A lot of useful vocabulary used in the kitchen as there were recipes, but I didn’t really enjoy it… it’s the first time I don’t really like a book of this series.
21 Likes

:bread: January 5th - 7th :bread:

Home post :cherry_blossom:

Two days ago I bought a one year subscription in Satori Readers! Started The Jam Maker and have read 2 chapters.

I also have read 16 lvl 0 Tadoku books, trying to get to lvl 1 and 2 soon.

22 Likes