📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

Thank you! Now I need to binge some JoJo. xD

7 Likes

Home Post

This week was book-finishing week, it seems :tada:

On Tuesday, I finished “World without End” (in English) - it took me 29.5 hours for 1200 pages, i.e. ~40 pages/h.

On Friday, I finished チュベローズで待てる AGE22 - it took me 17 hours for 200 pages, i.e. almost 12 pages/h.

On Sunday, I finished ユージニア - it took me almost 37 hours for 420 pages, i.e. 11 pages/h.

I’m happy with these results :grin:

Out of these three, ユージニア was clearly the most demanding, as not only the contents was mystery but also the writing was done in a most mysterious way, so that one never knows who is in any given chapter, and I had a very hard time figuring this out, and sometimes even how many people there were, also at which time it took place, who is talking to whom, what or whom they are referring to etc. It reminded me a lot of 雪国 to be honest, I had similar trouble figuring out the people and conversations there…
I’d say this book exceeded my language abilities. Or maybe it’s just that I am bad at handling these things in general. :woman_shrugging:

Plans for this week:

• Catch up with 半落ち
  • Continue with 1Q84? Or maybe I will focus on 半落ち this week and on 1Q84 next week?
  • Read チュベローズで待てる AGE32. I started the first chapter already but got a bit lost in the world-building (i.e. what happened in between) and was tired, so I stopped 2/3 in. I hope the topics will change a bit going forward.
  • Read another English book: “Eleanor of Aquitaine”. She was the mother of Richard Lionheart, and generally one of the most powerful women in Europe at the time. This is her biography, so it’s non-fiction, and the first chapter already showered me with historical and geographic details, and I’m not sure I can read this before sleep just like I did with “World without End” because I think I need to be more awake to take it in fully.

Do you mean Bookwalker? (Bookmeter doesn’t know about sales afaik :thinking:) In Bookwalker, if you put the book on your watchlist, you can easily see which ones are discounted at any given time (there are filter links at the top of the watchlist page). But it won’t notice you for any specific books, you just get the general “there is a sale going on for this and that type of books” etc.

27 Likes

:snowflake: Day 16, 16th of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Let’s see how much I can get through today. I want to start each week doing slightly more than I’m comfortable with so I can stretch my limits while I’m still full of energy.

In today’s first story, we learn to read the temperature.

The second is about our favorite plumber: Mario! Interesting to see the Kanji that Nintendo is made out of.

• (にん) - duty (WK lvl 21)
  • (てん) - heaven (WK lvl 2)
  • (どう) - hall (WK lvl 17)

Also, I think it used this grammar point for と? Seems to be similar to a “if - then” usage.

For the next story we have…

Pokémon time!

They’re so fat I love them

Still teaching some more examples of と sentences.

Another one! This one has a horribly garish red background, avert your eyes. It’s about someone who likes fighting games and an introduction to Tekken characters. I have to say, providing a list of someone’s attributes may give me the momentary satisfaction of learning that ‘height’ is written as 身長, but it won’t help me actually learn these characters. As far as immersion goes, this is not the way to go for me.

The next story has a similarly knock-out bright color. Maybe something for next time.

21 Likes

home post

16th jan

back to 蟲師! this chapter was about a 蟲 that infected a family line, with the current daughter of the family unable to walk thanks to its presence in her leg. thanks to an ink/writing connection there was a lot of old-fashioned speech in this one (understanding tama was a struggle) but i still had a good time. also got to see how ginko is different to other 蟲師 which was really interesting!

congrats to you two!!

22 Likes

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 14

My reading was interrupted by socializing so I only read less that 1% of ユージニア.

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 15

Back to ユージニア (48% → 55%) and I’m finally over the halfway point. I also played BU$TAFELLOWS for 1h.

20 Likes

Day 14
Continued reading Bakemonogatari vol.2 being obsessed by little girls panties is totally wrong Araragi. But at least the protagonist got what he deserved being bitten by Mayoi.

1347 pages read 18653 to go

17 Likes

Jan 16, Mon of Week 4 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• Super Doctor K Vol.2 Ch.6-7

Starts ominously from the first page, actually

• うたわれるもの
Interesting words
  • くべる = to put things to burn in a fire. Kanji form is ()べる.
  • せざるを()ない = unavoidable. Logical when thinking of せざる as せず or ないで, though I have had trouble parsing the whole thing.
  • 先送(さきおく)り = postponement
  • 土足(どそく)で = walking in with dirty feet = rudely
  • しゃしゃり()る = to come uninvited
  • (ぼう)()る = to make waste
  • (いっ)する = to miss (a chance). In context as (だい)チャンスを(いっ)する.
  • (かて) = provisions. Like a fuel to go forward in life.
  • (しゅん)の = seasonal
  • 残骸(ざんがい) = wreckage. Remaining… skeletons???
  • ()() = a flame
  • 火種(ひだね) = coal (for lighting a fire)
  • 一段落(ひとだんらく) = getting to a point where one can rest; completing the first stage. Also, 一段落(いちだんらく)
  • 世辞(せじ) = flattery
  • 針葉樹(しんようじゅ) = needle-leaf trees; conifer. The reading of (はり) like in 羅針盤(らしんばん) or 方針(ほうしん).
  • 臨床(りんしょう) = clinical. 臨床医学(りんしょういがく) = clinical medicine. Opposite is 基礎医学(きそいがく).
  • 中絶(ちゅうぜつ) = discontinuance / abortion
  • 分娩(ぶんべん) = childbirth. Second Kanji seems to be mostly associated with this word. In context as 分娩室(ぶんべんしつ).
  • 胎児(たいじ) = uterus. Similar to 子宮(しきゅう). First Kanji is in Level 57.
    • 胎児性(たいじせい) = fetal; embryonal
  • 羊水(ようすい) = amniotic fluid. 羊膜(ようまく) = amnion. Perhaps some Chinese myth? I forgot the details.
  • 帝王切開(ていおうせっかい) = Caesarian section. Yeah, surgery of that Emperor.
  • 瀬戸際(せとぎわ) = critical moment. 瀬戸(せと) is a strait or a sea channel. 「狭門(せと)」の意。
  • 順風満帆(じゅんぷうまんぱん) = smooth sailing
  • ()白黒(しろくろ)させる = to be surprised; to goggle in astonishment
  • (かんが)えを(めぐ)らす = to think long about; to contemplate
  • (こん)()める = to keep at something (never mind fatigue); to put all one’s concentration into something

SFX

• プカプカ = floating in liquid / puff of a cigarrete
  • いそいそ = cheerfully

Kanji

• (ガイ)

• remains; corpse; skeleton
    • ガイ
      • 骸骨(がいこつ),     死骸(しがい),     遺骸(いがい)
      • 残骸(ざんがい),     形骸化(けいがいか)
    • (から)
      • 亡骸(なきがら)
    • (むくろ)
  • (ゲン)

• dazzling
    • ゲン
      • 眩暈(げんうん),     眩惑(げんわく)
    • (まぶ)しい
    • (くら)
    • 目眩(めまい) = 眩暈(めまい)

Mazegaki is a weird one that can easily break Yomichan; and I believe it’s also the case with early Wanikani context sentences.

Even if I can identify in all Kana, these things confuse me at a glance sometimes (much more than in Katakana). (Why not just some common full Kanji forms?)

21 Likes

Calendar

Another week done. :v:

夜市 is at 52%, so 18% progress in a week. If I keep that pace it looks like I wont finish it until the end of the month. Need to speed up :saluting_face:

Also read a couple more manga volumes, should finish this one within a few days. Threw in the 1 shot Look back for some change.
While Nausicaa still looms above me, I think I’ll read Spirit Circle next. Maybe finish Nausicaa after that one? I like the art and setting but the story is really confusing sometimes, having a hard time to keep up with who is from which side etc.

@NicoleIsEnough I loosely kept track of reading and listening time. I’ve been reading for about 19,5 since January 1. Definitely less than I wish I managed to do. :sob: Looking at your numbers… :eyes: :sweat_smile:

25 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 15: January 15th :evergreen_tree:

spacer:sun_with_face: 夢みる太陽 Volume 4 (55% ➨ 79%)
spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 4 (65% ➨ 71%)

👵🏻 ××でも魔法少女になれますか? Volume 1 (21% ➨ 31%)

With the second villain, the content of this series is getting questionable. I’ll keep at it a bit more just to see how things go after this enemy’s out of the way.

I completed the first of what’s probably two chapters with the current villain. Coincidentally, I’ve been watching a 1980s American TV sitcom called Diff’rent Strokes, and the very next episode I watched turned out to be a two-part episode that had a similar character, but from a more realistic take.

22 Likes

I did, I realized I messed up when @omk3 replied but this is far from my first (or likely last) time mixing them up when talking/typing. :see_no_evil:

10 Likes

:joy: This makes more sense! Well, to answer the original question then, Bookwalker doesn’t notify me, but I do visit the website quite often because we all know I have a problem just to browse, so if there’s any kind of sale on books I have in my check list I’m not likely to miss it.

10 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

January 16th
新書太閣記 progress: 02.06% // Volume I: 23.88% :deciduous_tree:

Almost reached the end of the chapter but just couldn’t quite make it.

Words found under the kotatsu

忘失「ぼうしつ」ー Forgetting; losing
豪胆「ごうたん」ー Bold; daring
薪小屋「まきごや」ー Woodshed/woodstore
疑心暗鬼「ぎしんあんき」ー Jumping at shadows; once you suspect something everything becomes suspicious
車座「くるまざ」ー Sitting in a circle
唖然「あぜん」ー Dumbfounded; speechless; flabbergasted

Character Name List

for easy referencing later, because these will take some remembering
Also probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Main
Hideyoshi: 豊臣秀吉「とよとみ ひでよし」
– – – Childhood name: 日吉「ひよし」
– – – Childhood nickname: 猿「さる」

Volume I: 1534 - 15??
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nickname: 猿「さる」

Family
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
筑阿弥「ちくあみ」ー Step-father
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
小竹「こちく」- Baby brother
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
– Married to: おえつ (sister of お奈加)

Friends & Acquaintances
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」(Nickname - full name: 福太郎「ふくたろ」) // 楊景福「ようけいふく」(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
– 五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Chinese name) - Father
– 梨琴「りきん」- Mother
捨次郎「すてじろう」- Previous servant to 五郎, later the adoptive father of 於福, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Others
織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Daimyo
– 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo
斯波義統「しば よしむね」- Daimyo (head of the Shiba clan) at Kiyosu castle
渡辺天蔵「わたなべ てんぞう」- Nobushi

Historical People
  • 阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (around 700AD)

• 白楽天「はく きょい」ー Late 700s Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan.

• 道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (Early to mid 1200s) (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」)

• 空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s to early 800s)

19 Likes

Happens to me all the while, no worries :sweat_smile:

Hehe erm. We should maybe make a psychology test-style checklist for the compulsive readers club :rofl:

How often to you look at your Bookwalker watchlist?
  • What is a Bookwalker watchlist?
  • Less than once per month
  • Less than once per week
  • Multiple times a week
  • Multiple times a day
  • Multiple times per hour
  • My life is meaningless when I don’t look at it
0 voters
19 Likes

January 16th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 6 – progress report
Yesterday: Continued up to page 145, finished chapter 24 and chapter 25.
Today: Continued up to page 158

I’m too tired today and still need to take care of other things…and take an actual break. Hence why today’s reading session ended up being short.

Good job, @Greya ! :tada: :smile: I’m also glad you overall enjoyed the first manga you read in Japanese!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Word or expression of the day:
散らばる - (ちらばる) - to be scattered about

Honourable mention(s)
大目 - (大目) - magnanimity, tolerance; large eyes

22 Likes

I laughed too hard at this poll :rofl:
I tried to give the more reasonable answer, because there are days when I don’t look at it, strangely, but then there are also days when I look at it multiple times, so…not sure I was entirely honest.

14 Likes

Dammit, now I’ve got bookwalker and bookmeter mixed up too (though I do that sometimes anyway) if you saw my vote no you didn’t

I do think bookmeter has something to that effect too though, though I’ve never really looked at it much less used it…

11 Likes

:books: From 01月06日 to 01月16日

• 9-nine-
  • Final Fantasy XIV
  • うたわれるもの

What do you mean, I don’t have terrible update frequencies! I update everyday I just forget to click the send button, is all.

That’s a long period, wowee, might as well do a little update :slight_smile: . I haven’t read every day since my last update but I’ve certainly read a fair bit. I’ve had some rest days in between when I had to pause new SRS cards for a bit because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with low energy but it’s gone back to normal and I’m already adding again.

Completed two weeks of 9-nine- and I’m all caught up with the club schedule, I will probably continue reading one week ahead just to make it easier to organise the next one (we go by total characters count and screenshots so it’s kind of a surprise what we’ll get when a new week comes). So far I’m enjoying it a lot.

I’ve also been playing FFXIV with my secondary character again and the last time I did a few months ago I already felt like I had improved, the text was easier to understand than before, but now I feel another improvement again which is crazy to me since it hasn’t been that long, so the diligent SRS plan I adopted a couple months back and the heavier workload must be working pretty nicely and I couldn’t be happier :face_holding_back_tears: . It went from way too difficult like a year and a half ago to very accessible, at least a good chunk of it (there are things that are way over my knowledge still and probably will for a while).

Lastly I also did a couple days of うたわれるもの but I haven’t played that in like close to two weeks at this point, and I really should because it was interesting and I have the feeling I will start forgetting things if I leave it on hold for too long.

I’m so happy with my study plan right now, seriously. It’s usually hard for me to be satisfied and without doubts when I’m doing something, but explicitly seeing the improvements always seems to motivate me a lot, and putting more time into this makes that more frequent so it’s a nice positive feedback loop. I talked before about how increasing the workload has been a really positive change for me since I was feeling for a while that I was not improving as fast as I would like. Now I know how important it is to feel satisfied with one’s own pace, whether that is going slower or faster, it’s all super personal and both can be good or bad for different people at different points in time. It doesn’t come without a price for sure, the time you use for one thing is time that you don’t use for another thing, and I try to frequently think about this and internalise it. But right now pushing my Japanese is the thing I want to prioritise, most of my free time goes to that and I’m totally for it. When I reach a level that I feel I don’t learn as fast anymore because coming across language I don’t know becomes harder and harder, I will start dedicating more time to other projects, like going back to music or learning art, which I really really wanted to do for a very long time already. But again, everything comes with a price, and that price is limited time. Perhaps I’m starting to realise that I’m someone that works better when focusing on one main thing at a time, but at the same time that kind of sucks, because I want to do and learn way too many things, and the majority of those things are projects that are very long term, like this Japanese one is turning out to be :joy: .

25 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: 1月16日 :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• ホリミヤ ch 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
  • マジーク・ツリーハウス pg 111 → 132 done! book 2 was a little bit more enjoyable than book 1 (despite my love of 恐竜), i think i’m going to move on to 夜カフェ now instead of continuing with the series, but i’ll keep this in mind if I want something pleasant to read.
Good Words

ホリミヤ
個人的「こじんてき」ー personally
素朴「そぼく」ー naive, simple, unsophisticated
浮気「うわき」ー extramarital affair, infidelity
タメ口「ためぐち」ー casual speech
閉口「へいこう」ー stumped, at a loss
距離「きょり」ー distance
驚き「おどろき」ー surprise, astonishment
筆記「ひっき」ー writing, (taking) notes, copying
模造刀 「もぞうとう」ー fake metal sword that greatly resembles a real sword
録音「ろくおん」ー sound recording
隕石「いんせき」ー meteorite
水まき「みずまき」ー watering, sprinkling
歓迎「かんげい」ー welcome, reception
露骨「ろこう」ー open, unconcealed, undisguised

マジーク・ツリーハウス
腹ばい「はらばい」ー lying on one’s belly, crawling
痺れる「しびれる」ー to become numb (limb)
吸い込む「すいこむ」ー to inhale, to breathe in
拭う「ぬぐう」ー to wipe up, to mop up
後ずさり「あとずさり」ー stepping back, drawing back
恐る恐る「おそるおそる」ー fearfully, timidly
抱き上げる「だきあげる」ー holding up one’s arms
操る「あやつる」ー to steer, to maneuver
びしょ濡れ 「びしょめる」ー dripping wet
忍び「しのび」ー stealth
わが家「わがや」ー one’s house

24 Likes

January 16th :snowflake:
Home Post

Reading 僕だけがいない街 Vol. 1

Got from 26 to page 39 in about 30-40mins, I feel like this is the perfect level for me at the moment to improve. It’s really challenging but at the same time I can understand the gist of all the convo, even though I have to look up lots of things. Can’t wait to see how I will feel about reading once I finish the first volume and start the second. Oh and I also like the way the story is portrayed so far!

24 Likes

I used to be in the ‘multiple a week’ camp, but then I switched to Rakuten and I’ve yet to invest the time in figuring out their site’s sales and whatnot. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes