📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Day 41 :slight_smile:
I finished the first volume of よつばと! I really enjoyed it, so I’m planning to move straight on to Volume 2 as the next book I start.
I’m really glad I waited to read this until it was quite a comfortable thing for me to read, since I think I would have missed a lot of the sweetness and the humour if I was struggling to work out what was being said.

(Home Post)

24 Likes

How difficult is Kino’s for you? I wanted to start reading that at some point, and I’m really excited if it’s not too bad at your level since I’ll hopefully be there within a few months.

1 Like

A bit of a bleh few days of reading for me :disappointed: Feel like after finding 世界から猫が消えたなら to be such a perfect difficulty level for me I’ve found it hard to go back to 鏡の孤城 which I’m finding a bit more tricky. I think because of the longer sentences which I still find difficult to parse sometimes. I feel like with 世界から猫 it felt more like reading for fun and less like hard work and now we are back to hard work time lol.

I’m on the fence between pushing on and seeing if I get used to it, or swapping to an easier pick for now and coming back later :thinking:

On the other hand, persona 4 continues to be great fun!

Woohoo! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: Congrats! It sounds like an intruiging book too - though maybe too scary for me haha :scream::scream::scream:

24 Likes

I usually go for cat based gifs/pics but given your choice was horror:
congrats-scary

I have taken to keeping multiple books running simultaneously for this reason. One is my hard-push learn-all-the-things book and the other is my “lazy” reading. I think it also depends on how far you are into かがみの孤城, too. The writing style and complexity stays pretty consistent so if you’re only a chapter or two in it might get substantially easier (through practice) by the time you’re say, halfway.

12 Likes

Summary Post

Day 41: Today I read 11 pages of よつば&!and finished chapter 26. Also, I’ve started reading panels aloud as I go, because my speaking skills leave a lot to be desired so I want to practice

19 Likes

Home post :house:

Day 34:

I read three pages of よつばと! today :four_leaf_clover::slightly_smiling_face::four_leaf_clover:

よつば doesn’t understand air conditioners:p

22 Likes

Yesterday only 1 page :tired_face: of Kirino mukouno fusigina mati (sorry for romaji gyse). But today I read 4 or 5 pages! It’s really great to read enough that something actually happens. :blush:

I’ve also been reading Yotuba, now nearing the end of volume 7 (so close to finally going to the ranch!) I feel like the hijinks will probably be epic.

20 Likes

Summary post

Day 41: February 10th

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 9 min

Honestly, work was stupid and frustrating and mental breakdown/stress freakout-inducing today, it really just ruined my entire mood. I was fully prepared to just skip reading all together and break my streak, like I legit just did not care. But I eventually calmed down a bit and felt like I could read today’s entry for this, at least. I’ll catch up on the colors book tomorrow, I don’t have the mental…whatever to read that right now. I’m going to go do today’s wordle, look at something cute (probably baby whales), and then go to bed.

24 Likes

Aw man, I’m sorry to hear work was rough today. :frowning:

But look at this イルカ, he has brought you a video to try to cheer you up!

17 Likes

Yesterday I read sixteen pages of Deathnote and today I read fourteen pages of ちゃお. Here’s a couple fun vocabulary I learnt:

キラキラ-----glittering; sparkling; twinkling​

ぽくぽく------rhythmically (beating, e.g. gong)​

20 Likes

Oh nooo, it’s so cute!! They’re so smol :pleading_face: :pleading_face:
Thank you :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Home post

Day 40:

日本語: I read a lot of 機動強襲型令嬢アリシア物語1.
Read-aloud: We read two chapters of 7SEEDS (finished v27).

中国語

中国語: I read an intermediate entry on Mandarin Bean, one page of 擅长捉弄的高木同学, and a lot of 孩子最爱读的中国民间故事 (finished story #2, 孟姜女哭长城).

19 Likes

February 10 :snowflake: Home Post

Today I just finished the last 30-ish pages of the third volume of ラストゲーム I had left (though saying “just” feels kinda wild, the me of a few months ago would’ve been absolutely shook :joy:). As much as I’ve been loving 999 and (かぜ)つよ and such, I think I was starting to drown in big projects a bit. Like… I wanna actually finish things sometimes, you know? :joy:

So tomorrow I’m gonna try to finish up the first volume of アゲイン!! and then pick out something new from my shelf of manga! (though realistically I may very well also play 999 or something, I don’t know that I can stop myself lmao)

But yeah I think it’ll be fun! Here’s to more reading :tada:

(I lost track of my words and honestly I don’t think there were that many wild ones in the first place so just take this: 追求(ついきゅう) - pursuit (of a goal))

Ahhh congrats, that’s super exciting!!! :tada: :tada: :tada:

22 Likes

Kino no tabi is the second novel I’m reading, and so far it is easier than Kimi no na wa. It doesn’t have furigana for all the kanji, so that could be a lot of drawing kanji to find the correct meaning. I’m reading it with a ebookreader for browser and using the extension Yomi-chan, so that makes it a lot easier to look up everything.

As far as the first story I read, the language that is used isn’t really hard to understand. The only trouble I had was when Kino talks with a person and it felt like that person used a lot of words to tell almost nothing at times :joy:

But I think it could be a good first novel!

24 Likes

Today’s reading was 「鵜呑み」の意味とは!類語や言い換え | Meaning-Book which weirdly, despite planning to read the 鵜 entries yesterday, I heard in a show I was watching last night. Great timing, huh?

It means to swallow information whole, without critically thinking about it.

「父は週刊誌を鵜呑みにするから困る」

I’m worried because my father believes everything he reads in the tabloids.

20 Likes

:tiger2: :books: Homepost - Tigerdate: 20220211 :books: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll XLII: 新潟県 :tulip:

Decided to read further on Niigata prefecture because it looked interesting (okay, they all look interesting).

Prefecture Symbol

niigata

It symbolises harmony [融ゆう] and hope [希ぼう].

Prefecture Tree

ユキツバキ

It grows naturally in the snowy mountains and flowers April - May.

Prefecture Flower

チューリップ

Niigata Prefecture is said to be the birthplace of tulip bulb production (in Japan), and supposedly the largest produces of cut flowers.

Prefecture Bird

トキ

These guys went extinct in Japan in October 2003 when the last female died :cry:
But, China donated a breeding pair and their numbers have been steadily increasing. They were also thought to be extinct in China too until the 80s. China, Japan and South Korea are trying to keep the species alive with captive breeding and reintroducing them into the wild (and it looks hopeful too!).

One place they’ve been introduced back to is Sado island in Niigata prefecture.

☆ Learnings ☆

New Words

沖合「おきあい」ー Off Shore; Out at Sea
(This isn’t a new word, it’s on WaniKani, but the meaning seems to be a bit different. WK lists it only as “Open Sea”, but it looks like it’s closer to “Off Shore” the example sentence on WK even translates it as “Off Shore”… so it’s a new word because I’ve had to relearn it.)
広大「こうだい」ー Vast; Extensive; Grand
穀倉地帯「こくそうちたい」ー Grain producing region; Breadbasket (of a country/region)
融和「ゆうわ」ー Harmony; Reconciliation
ユキツバキ「雪椿」ー Snow Camellia
園芸品種「えんげいひんしゅ」ー Horticultural Varieties; Cultivar
葉脈「ようみゃく」ー Leaf Vein
単色「たんしょく」ー Monochromatic
アブラムシ「油虫」ー Aphid
トキ「鴇 or 朱鷺」ー Japanese crested ibis
トキ科「ときか」ー Threskiornithidae​ (a bird family) (I think the Japanese may be a tad easier to remember)
ヘラサギ ー Spoonbill, specifically the Eurasian Spoonbill
「くちばし」ー Beak; Bill

Places
佐渡島「さどがしま or さどしま」ー Sado Island
粟島「あわしま」ー Awashima Island
越後平野「えちごへいや」ー Echigo Plain

20 Likes

Thank you to everyone for your nice messages! I’ve bought Zoo 2 but haven’t started it yet :slight_smile:

Summary post

Yesterday was a big day all around, as right at the end of my session I reached a point in Summer Pockets where it played a rather nice opening video, and I suppose now the game is on for real.

Turns out, there’s a whole map system where I can choose who to go hang out with! I had no idea. There are more characters than this that’ll be selectable I’m sure (also a mystery event at the shrine :eyes:), but these were my choices today. I was tempted to visit the red haired girl because her scenes have been pretty amusing, and I was intrigued by our last talk and the little blurred spoiler I left, but she seems to use the hardest Japanese of anyone in this game, so I think I’ll delay her by a few playthroughs.

That said, when I went to the green haired one, half because I expected useful words… well, today’s reading was dense. ~1600 characters, ~120 lines, bailed out with too many words already mined and generally wanting a break from a stream of sentences with many unknown words. “Neighborhood association”, “public facilities”, “maintenance of public order”… she’s got words! I quit at the following sentence, one of the most kanji dense things my reading materials have had yet, a sentence that almost looks like I’m reading Chinese:

“少年団治安維持執行部には、私自ら望んで入った”

I’m riding the high of accomplishments so no big deal, but I failed at my attempts to scale the difficulty over runs hahaha.

The best new word is undoubtedly 鉄槌 (てっつい), iron hammer or crushing blow.

25 Likes

Summary post

February 11 update:
Read chapter 18 of よつばと! today. This may have been the cutest chapter so far, really heartwarming – in a fun Yotsuba-specific way. That’s all I have to say today :yawning_face:

25 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

February 11

本好きの下剋上 8
Progress: (82% → 84%)

23 Likes

On the one hand I know what you mean. On the other hand, as a german, I feel like I’m a little more used to it.

German is also well known for just stringing words together to form a word with a new meaning. Hand = hand, Schuh = shoe, Handschu = glove. Pretty short example but you get the Idea. If you don’t know the individual words you will have trouble pronouncing it correctly and have trouble understanding it. If you do know the two words it feels like a breeze.

I often feel like long Kanji strings are basically the same.
Understanding your example Kanji string is pretty managable if you know the “3” building blocks (debatable where some of the cutoffs are with kanji) it is made out of: 少年団・治安維持・執行部
And I think parsing it fast and understanding it fast is just a function of how much vocabulary you know, like in german.

So basically I want to say: Don’t worry about it, it will get easier naturally over time. :smiley:

PS.: Will update tomorrow after I finishe the last 2 chapters of Solanin.

15 Likes