📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2023 😎☀

:beach_umbrella: Day 5, 7 月 5 日 :sunny:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

:princess: Tileworld Chronicles, Chapter 4 of Markus’ Ascent, p. 5
I’m falling asleep, but I managed to get in one whole page! Apparently that worm isn’t usually agressive. Wonder why it attacked? Is this another instance of a mystical creature protecting a certain group of people against others? The counterpart to the one that cursed these descendants of Midas?

22 Likes

:books: :sunny: Home post :snowflake: :droplet:

7月5日 (水)

:cherry_blossom: 7 pages of Ouran (Chapter 3, part 1)
:white_flower: aDoBJG: もう ~ もう ~
:older_woman:t2: 3 pages of あん (Finished chapter 4)
Page 107 of 1日10分初級から始める読解120

I accomplished my original goal of finishing this week’s chapter of あん, but didn’t have time to go over the vocab I didn’t know and the sentences I am unsure of. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow. I also advancing a bit more than I expected on Ouran, which was nice. Overall, I focused more on listening today. I hope to spend some time going through the vocab I am unsure of of あん tomorrow, and perhaps read a bit more Ouran too. I might read something else as well if I have time.

28 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // July 5 :sunglasses: :sunny:

・薬屋のひとりごと 11 (0% → 30%)
・風の谷のナウシカ 1 (p. 90 → p. 136)

Started Kusuriya book 11 and finally finished Nausicaä vol 1, yay! :3

Was reading Nausicaä manga book without glasses, and at one point I held the book a bit too far away when I came across the word 明日. My eyes saw 日 as 目, so of course the word turned into めいもく in my mind. I was like “huh? wassat?” and started to squint and look at the word closer. Then the 目 suddenly disappeared. “明… wait, that’s not めい! That’s あした!” Lmao, I was so puzzled xD

Had to pause for a min to let the fact sink in that uncorrected astigmatism really can make objects look like they’re double. I didn’t think it was to that kind of a degree with my vision, and at such a close distance in front of me too :eyes::sweat_drops:

Btw guys! Watashi no Shiawase na Kekkon anime episode 1 aired today :eyes: :sparkles:

30 Likes

:beach_umbrella: :sunny: July 5 :sunny: :beach_umbrella:
Home Post

:cherry_blossom: Ouran High School Host Club by 葉鳥 ビスコ : 6-8 pages (still not paying close attention)

:white_flower: A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar : 4 entries

Rest of chapter 2 - part 2 of Ouran. Now I’m this week and last week behind. I look forward to how the last third of chapter 2 is in the manga vs the anime.

For the dictionary, I’m just plodding along, catching up there too.

Once I’ve caught up with Ouran, I’ll go catch up with コンビニ人間. Catching up feels closer within my grasp than it has been for a while, but I’m also two weeks behind on コンビニ人間, so really still far behind everywhere. :sweat_smile:

30 Likes

7月5日

:smoking: スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり 28.2 ① & ② (released today!)

ヤニ吸う spoilers

田山 making serious advances here by touching 佐々木’s ear… which immediately goes 真っ赤! Followed by the signature んははは. These pages give me nourishment! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Took me a little while to realize レグダン, ポンピグ and 男坂893 are fictional band names… right?? :sweat_smile:)

:white_flower: DBJG (くれる1, くれる2, くる1, くる2, まだ)

25 Likes

I’ve been really behind on most things but am getting there I think. Except for Ouran Host Club which didn’t draw me in.

5/7 4 pages コンビニ人間 (week 2 reading), aDoBJG か (2)

I’m now onto this week’s reading of コンビニ人間, but still about 5 weeks behind on the dictionary. And barely started Ouran - I’m going to have one more try then abandon it. I think it’s probably just not my thing, but any fans want to give me good reasons to persist?

Oh and I realised I was considering attempting あん with the IBC, but it’s started already!

23 Likes

:house_with_garden: Home Post

:books: 7月5日
極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉 (7.2k characters)

Reached another ending, yay! After that I skipped the beginning this time around as there’s no point having done it just a few days back, everything is still fresh. Reached the first new puzzle room after that and saved; I’ll leave it for tomorrow.

I’m somewhat regretting not having kept up with the club as it went because I notice that I don’t remember details from the first route leading to the first ending, even if it was relatively not so long ago, but that’s my brain and the fun of anxiety and so on I guess, it makes following stories pretty hard sometimes if following a certain timeline is important. It’s not even a Japanese thing, the Japanese is fine, it happens in any language. This is probably not a great medium (VNs) overall with all the back-and-forth going on for a brain in such state sometimes, but I like it a lot and will keep enjoying it regardless. The good thing about forgetting things relatively easily is that you can replay/rewatch stuff and make it feel almost like the first time! :clown_face:

I’ll post my thoughts briefly in the club tomorrow when I have a moment. Next two days will be 9-nine-, I still have to prepare the coming week, but I’ll try to do a bit of Zero Escape regardless because it got pretty interesting and I’m so invested right now.

26 Likes

:nail_care: July 5 :cat:

:tulip: :parasol_on_ground:季節を愉しむ366日 :maple_leaf: :snowman:
July 6

:nail_care: ジョジョの奇妙な冒険37
47 - 72

Seasons :parasol_on_ground: was about lavender. It’s one of the specialities from Hokkaido and also it seems the seeds were (a gift?) from France in 1937.

I was doing a stupid amount of overtime (don’t promise to finish something ahead of the deadline you’ve been given), so I didn’t really have time to read last night. I crammed in however much JoJo :nail_care: I could in about 20 min. It’s one of my favorite parts of Part 4, so I felt really motivated. It was interesting to see the JoJo poses this bit because I don’t think they were added quite the same way in the anime. Also, maybe Araki missed drawing Dio, because there was a… suspiciously fit background character.

21 Likes

July 5th!

Today I read chapter 94 of Shadows House. I need to read two chapters tomorrow to not fall behind the club, so I’m going to try to do that, but realistically I might need to catch up over the weekend.

(Home Post)

25 Likes

:watermelon: :wind_chime: 7月5日 :wind_chime: :watermelon: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• 小林さんちのメイドラゴン ch 7
  • aDoBJG させる
24 Likes

I’m going to join this a couple of days late! I’ve seen them and wanted to join them and didn’t realize it just started five days ago, so now I have to.

I finished 新・三等重役 by 源氏鶏太 and 金の砂漠王 by 折原 みと. Now I’m on the 5th volume of 残酷な神が支配する by 萩尾 望都.

And I’m in the book club for あん.

Reading is my favorite activity for studying, but I’m trying to get more into listening practice. I do try to read every day though, so we’ll see how this goes.

July
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

I’ll do my best!

31 Likes

home post

July 5

Another ~30 pages of さくらいろの季節, taking us to page 142 and 48% finished! I…may be a little bit obsessed with the fact that I Can Read Again, and am already looking into my next books. The conflict suddenly ramped up (gasp, the stoic transfer student slapped the ex-childhood friend’s new best friend? Shock! Said ex-childhood friend seems to still have a lingering affection for the main character, enough to protect her from the other girls’ potential bullying? Bigger shock!), and while it’s still very definitely a children’s book I’m getting invested lol.

today's vocab

撃退(げきたい)- repel, drive back
気取る(きどる)- to put on airs, to act like something you’re not
文庫本(ぶんこぼん)- a small paperback book
そそくさ - hurriedly, hastily

25 Likes

Home

・7月5日・

• バッテリー ch 35-36. Urg, a couple of the guys who hurt Sada, Takumi, and Sawa are back. I thought they quit. Also I don’t really get why Ono-sensei is around so much/is so important a character? Hopefully that’s clearer in the novels.
  • 25 pages of あの空はキミの中, reading ch 9 and leaving off on pg 210
  • 26 pages of さいとう市立さいとう高校野球部, reading ch 5 and leaving off on pg 143
  • finally started playing Cats & Soup, which I’d downloaded forever ago but never touched, and set the language to JP. Dunno how much it counts as reading practice, but between seeing it in さいとう高校 yesterday and in this today, I may finally remember that サイコロ is “die; dice,” at least.
Some vocab of note:

いくら [adv.] however (much); no matter how. As “いくら…〜ても.”
※やっぱ、自筆の方がいいっしょ。いくら、字が汚くても。
※It’s best if it’s in your own handwriting. No matter how messy it is.

22 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 5: July 5th :ice_cream:

spacer:broom: ふらいんぐうぃっち Volume 12 (5% ➨ 9%)
spacer:mag: 名探偵コナン Volume 15 (92% ➨ 100%)

Slowly inching along.

25 Likes

I did manage to read chapter 3 of あん that day. It did not disappoint, but I would’ve liked to read chapter 4 too.

7月4~6日 I finished the long chapter on Hana-chan’s backstory in Fruits Basket 9 a couple days ago. I don’t remember the anime going into much detail, so it was nice to get more insight into her character. She and Uotani felt like off-the-wall comedic backup characters in the beginning so it’s nice to get a proper understanding of how their dark pasts led to their friendship with Tohru.

I finished volume 9 of Fruits Basket today after reading a few chapters a day.

I really want to read chapter 4 of あん today and maybe reread the Prologue of 予言の島 because the discussion thread confirmed I was clearly confused. :sweat_smile:

28 Likes

July 5th
(Home Post)

Read:

• Second half of chapter 9 from 花野井くんと恋の病 3
  • Chapter 66 from シャドーハウス 6. I didn’t expect so much (mild spoiler) crush-related angst from this series! Now I’m feeling bad for someone I didn’t expect to feel bad for (Patrick). :smiling_face_with_tear:
26 Likes

June 5th: [Home Post]

I did not get much farther in Crystal Hunters today as I was busy studying adjectives and more verb endings. MaruMori has been a blessing in that regard and has allowed me to do practice drills on both of these. I am getting off-topic, however. I read about six pages of volume three of Crystal Hunters before trying to work through some pages of Pokémon Horizon: Volume 1. I was surprised at how much I was able to parse out! The biggest problem was actually my lack of vocabulary this time around, and I only had to look up a few grammar points.

As such, I will be delving further into this manga after Crystal Hunters. I want to read through that (to the best of my ability), and then depending on time, I would like to read Puniru is a Cute Slime! I think that book would also be quite suitable for the Absolute Beginner Book Club. Anyway, I’ll keep updating this tomorrow.

Reading
Crystal Hunters (Natural): Volume 1 (100%)
Crystal Hunters (Natural): Volume 2 (100%)
Crystal Hunters (Natural): Volume 3 (65%)

25 Likes

home post

July 6th

Finally hit the halfway point on さくらいろ today, ending at page 162 (56%)! Chapter ended on a bit of a downer; moved forward to chapter 5 and got about 10 pages into that one.

Also finished…the entire main storyline of Pokémon Ranger in Japanese :joy: kind of expected that to take longer; onto Explorers of Sky for more Pokémon nonsense!

Ordered my next few books as well, and may experiment with reading multiple books at once instead of just powering through one at a time. Currently waiting on コンビニ人間, 本好きの下剋上 (book 1), and the first two books in the 龍ヶ嬢七々々の埋蔵金 light novel series, the anime adaptation of which I loved when I was in college to the point that it spurred me to start seriously studying Japanese because the chances of the rest of the series ever being animated was, like, slim to none. Some of those are definitely a little out of my actual ability right now but we’re gonna give it a shot anyway! :sweat_smile:

today’s vocab

途方に暮れる(とほうにくれる)- to be at a loss, to be puzzled (I’ve heard this one in song lyrics before and now I finally get it! :tada:)
太々しい(ふてぶてしい)- impudent, brazen
困惑(こんわく)- perplexed, bewildered
眼中にない(がんちゅうにない) - to take no notice of, to completely disregard

27 Likes

Woo! :durtle_noice: Feel free to check out the book club threads if you haven’t already :grin: It was the first book we read when we started the Advanced book club!

17 Likes

Awesome! I mostly chose it to push me over the limit for free shipping and because it’s popular among my students so I’m glad it’s well-liked here lol

13 Likes