📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

Summary post

Just checking in because I had by far my busiest/most productive week yet as far as reading in Japanese goes. I’d fallen a bit behind on Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling translations last month (for a variety of reasons), but I really wanted to catch up before their big show on July 9 (which just finished a few hours ago).

So I ended up translating a big show, a press conference, and two smaller VOD shows (links go to my posts about them in the wrestling thread). All in just one week! I lost a lot of sleep in order to get them done in my spare time around my work schedule, and am currently very tired :sweat_smile:.

I only have a rough estimate of how many characters I read, but I think it was about 9,000 characters total across all four of them? I know that’s not really all that much for most people in this thread, but it’s a lot for me, especially since I’m doing a full translation of them for a small handful of fans!

So it takes a lot longer because I have to actually try to understand every single sentence and can’t just gloss over the ones that are still too hard for me :sweat_smile:. Plus having to take the time to think about how to word things in English.

It’s good practice, though, and you get to experience the delight of sharing the stories with someone who otherwise would not have been able to experience them with full context :blush:. It’s pretty incredible how much I’ve already improved in the seven months or so that I’ve been doing this.

Some of it, like translating the actual match recaps, is not strictly necessary (since you can just watch the match yourself and see how it goes without needing a text description), but I like to do it anyway to preserve the context, and also because it’s a really great way for me to learn important wrestling vocab.

I also have been reading in Spanish every day, though it has absolutely taken the backseat while I’ve been working on the TJPW translations. For several of these days, I just read a page or two of Spanish, then spent several hours doing Japanese translation :sweat_smile:. But it still counts, and hopefully I’ll be able to have some more balanced days in the remaining weeks of the challenge.

Maybe I can make the wrestling sound slightly more interesting if I include photos? Here are the Magical Sugar Rabbits (Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki) doing one of their tag team moves, which is called Toy Story 1 (They have different moves for Toy Story 1-4. Why did they name them after those movies? I have no idea):

Wow, that’s pretty amazing! This means that I translated the equivalent of 65% of a volume of manga in just one week :open_mouth:!

I’m definitely still not remotely at a point where I should be doing this sort of translation work with my current level of skill, but, well, if there’s no one else doing it…

27 Likes