📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:spiral_calendar: Day 87: September 25th :squid: :motor_boat:

Got wrapped up in this and that and almost forgot to read something today…

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 7 (66% ➨ 74%)

15 Likes

I think I’ve read every day though I’m not keeping track.

Progressing with Tugumi - hoped to have caught up but still only halfway through last week’s chapter…

Up to date with 耳をすませば

Just finished this week’s reading for Orange.

I’m about halfway though Spy Family so should finish that in time.

I’m ahead with シャドーハウス and trying to avoid reading this for now, as I’d like to read with the club (I’m currently on volume 3 but stopped early - told myself I couldn’t read till all the other clubs had caught up).

I’ve also been reading a free manga from Bookwalker - seems to be quite recently published so not sure if standalone or a series, but doesn’t seem to break down into chapters - ココロのプログラム. I like it so far, and need to finish it in the next 4 days as the free version expires then! Probably about BBC level.

17 Likes

Home

Yesterday I played ACNH long enough to keep my タヌポート check-in streak and do some daily tasks, and I read, uh, I think it was only 1 chapter of HQ? I spent more time writing fic and thinking about writing fic than reading. I should write more team-dynamic fics tbh they’re fun.

Some vocab of note:

格差 (かくさ) [noun] qualitative difference; disparity; gap
置いてきぼりを食らう (おいてきぼりをくらう) [expression, ア五] to be left behind. Comes from 置いてきぼり, which is a noun meaning “leaving someone behind; abandoning someone; marooning someone.”

13 Likes

Home post :bookmark:

Spice & Wolf (26 → 27%)

Lots of fun expressions in just one percentage of book:

• 肝が太い
  • 水を切る
  • どこ吹く風
  • 徹頭徹尾
16 Likes

September 26th!

Just a little bit of reading today as I was up for most of the night with a stomach bug so I’m really tired!
I read the next chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san, it was quite a cute one.

(Home Post)

14 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220926 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 35.85% :hourglass_flowing_sand:

Kept running out of time to read today, but managed to get some in.

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

耶蘇教「やそきょう」ー Christianity
天地開闢「てんちかいびゃく」ー Creation of heaven and earth
換言「かんげん」ー In other words; saying/putting in other words
画工「えだくみ」ー Painter/artist (another reading: がこう)

15 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 48

19 - 24

I fell asleep a few times while reading, so I gave up on trying to read further lol

16 Likes

September 26 :blossom: Home Post

Still quite a bit going on so just counting the passage I read for class, sometimes it’s like that :joy:

14 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 88: September 26th :sailboat: :surfing_man:

Last week of the fiscal year means overtime, but let’s see if I can’t get to Shadows House before Friday.

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 7 (74% ➨ 81%)

15 Likes

Got to Chapter 1 - 2 during my lunch break for 青ブタ9. I want to try and read just during my lunch break and see how that goes. jpdb is a little slow (しょうがない) so I am advancing a few pages every couple days on Goblin Slayer. Playing Danganronpa on my commute is really comfy. So I think I am gonna stick with this routine for a bit and see how it goes. 青ブタ is free to cut into any of those other times though. Home I am getting through Kill la Kill for listening right now. I am a busy boy…

13 Likes

Home

It’s a good thing the information center is open 24 hrs because I have not been playing lately. I even charged my Switch in preparation to play for a while today. Even though I keep logging on after the store has already closed, I was finally able to pay off the loan on my house due to a combination of the money rock and the first of my 30k-bell money trees fruiting! And now tomorrow I’ll have an even bigger one lol

Finally finished HQ vol 28! Why is Kansaiben so much more difficult than Fukuiben when they’re so similar. Also, wow, I forgot how much I hate Inarizaki’s cheer section. That should be classed as cheating, honestly.

I then read vol 3-7 of 極主夫道, which may seem odd after I literally just complained about the Kansaiben in HQ, but it’s still a relatively quick read, which I wanted. Not to mention, it’s hilarious. I do think I need to bookmark the yakuza slang site linked in the book club on my phone though. Some stuff is in Shirabe Jisho, but definitely not all of it. I’m caught up to the book club now, though!

I also read 5 pages of 明日をくれた君に, leaving off on pg 83. I did some math and figured out that I’d need to read nearly 40 pgs a day (including today) to finish it on the 30th, and yeah that ain’t happening, so I won’t be finishing a novel in JP this challenge. We’ll see if I can finish 30 manga in JP this month, though; so far I’m at 24.

Some vocab of note:

想定外 (そうていがい) [noun, の-adj.] beyond expectations; unforeseen; exceeding expectations
対峙 (たいじ) [noun, する verb (他)] confrontation; squaring off against (adversaries, armies, forces); standing off against; holding one’s own against
炸裂 (さくれつ) [noun, する verb (自)] violent explosion; bursting
お勤め品 (おつとめひん) [noun] article offered at a bargain price (mainly imperfect produce)
強力粉 (きょうりきこ) [noun] high-gluten bread flour; strong flour; hard flour
極意 (ごくい) [noun] innermost secrets (of an art or skill); mysteries; essence; heart
ラップ [noun] plastic wrap; cling film; cling wrap. [する verb] to wrap in plastic wrap.
百均 (ひゃっきん) [abbreviation, noun] hundred-yen store. Short for 百円均一ショップ.
合羽 (かっぱ) [noun] raincoat
ニジマス [noun] rainbow trout. I wonder if Japanese and English named them the same thing separately or because of the other.

13 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220927 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 36.50% :sweet_potato:

Wagahai-cat spends a long time watching the intruder and pondering who it is (among pondering about many other things). Strangely, the intruder seems to resemble his master’s friend.

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

忘却「ぼうきゃく」ー Lapse of memory; forgetting completely
半纏「はんてん」ー Traditional short winter coat (similar to a haori)

16 Likes

September 27th

I read chapter 38 of Mitsuboshi Colours today.
It was pretty light on text, but its good to have an easy day once in a while :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

15 Likes

Home post :bookmark:

Spice & Wolf (27 → 28%)

15 min is better than nothing, right? I’ve gotten much better at prioritizing sleep, hihi :3

17 Likes

The Fall challenge thread has arrived! :sparkles: I actually meant to make it earlier, like this weekend but…busy ><
If you are still continuing your reading from the Summer challenge, please feel free to keep posting/updating in this thread until the new challenge officially starts on October 1st ^^

17 Likes

September 27 :blossom: Home Post

Just a teensy bit of ブルーロック again; hopefully I can start getting some more solid reading in again in the fall challenge :muscle:

15 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 48

25 - 45

sleep is the enemy

More like my busy schedule but whatever

15 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 89: September 27th :ice_cream: :beverage_box:

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 7 (81% ➨ 88%)

15 Likes

Yesterday I read to chapter 1 - 3 of 青ブタ9 and played Danganronpa V3 more. Read the couple of Goblin Slayer pages I could read for the day.

I could read to chapter 1 - 4, but I don’t want to hold myself to something if I don’t want to do it. I think that will ultimately kill my really high motivation I got going right now.

13 Likes

@Mushling-Dono Not sure if you saw, but the Fall challenge is now up. The link is a few posts up or right here.

I wanted to be sure you saw it. :smiley: Starting with a fresh challenge can be incredibly powerful. ^^

11 Likes