📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Thanks for the suggestion! :relaxed: I’ve tried that way before but I decided I didn’t like it much because it’s easy to just memorise the sentence and not think about the word at all. I feel that memorising the sentence mindlessly doesn’t guarantee that I remember the word’s meaning in another context. Recalling the meaning and then checking the context on the backside has been more effective for me personally.

3 Likes

Main post

Today I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
10 Likes

I read the last chapter of 妖怪の子預かります! :partying_face:

Only bookclub stuff. D: Read that week’s 殺人出産・すべてがFになる.

Didn’t feel much like reading yesterday, too much work… I managed to read most of the あとがき of すべてがFになる though.

Today isn’t over, but I did finish that あとがき.

10 Likes

So nice to see your updates after a little while @chrisosaurus and @NicoleRauch :musical_note:

I hope you have a smooth and quick recovery!

7 Likes
Summary

I haven’t gotten very far at all honestly. Just got through the flashback explaining Luke’s relationship with his adoptive father. I love the art style/music/and just general style of the whole thing. I can’t wait to have more time to get into it though

Reading!
The past three? four? days have been very very busy, but I’ve gotten in about ten minutes reading 夜は猫といっしょ daily which I’m at around the 3/4 way point. It doesn’t have much text though so I’m not quite sure how impressive that is haha. It’s cute and just the right level for my mental energy at the moment.

12 Likes

Main Post

Read another chapter of Yotsuba, had lots of dialogue in it and a couple of words I had to look up, making it a good learning experience. Also really like it, so it will be neat to return to it later. Also read a bit ahead and seems like more fun is coming up in the back half of this volume.

chapter 59

Guess what makes it harder to read this chapter is that the adults are talking more to each other. Funny that they always end up meeting at Yotsuba’s place. Makes me wonder if Jumbo sleeps on the second floor of the store or something. Yanda probably lives in a dingy apartment with instant cup noodles, no wonder his girlfriend ghosted him.

I like how they’re talking about cars, setting up for a future chapter. Definitely had to look up some of the lingo there, such as チンク referencing to a Fiat 500 (チンクエチェント) and my brainfarting on (car navigation). In between Duralumin also got the mumps (おたふく風邪), which I’ll likely forget again because most of my medical knowledge is trapped in Dutch, but it sometimes happens that I’m unsure what it even means in English.

Anyway it’s great that Yotsuba finally got to have her salted beef tongue and some nice Häagen-Dazs. I would go for some yakiniku myself.

14 Likes

Captain’s Log main post daily chronicling.

I have finished 覆面レスラー「棺桶」, so I now have the dilemma of finding what to read next.

I feel my reading speed has increased slightly, I did struggle a bit at the beginning getting used to actually reading the kanji rather than just inputting them on here, it’s weird how different they look in the wild, despite usually being in the same font.

I suppose it wasn’t too bad for the first time properly reading something. Onto whatever may be next!

12 Likes

Yeah, without previous knowledge and attachment to characters it may not be so enjoyable.

Finished 77/153 of Forbidden Scroller. I went a little further than usual to cover 50% mark!

10 Likes

Summary post
June 24

Got inspired by @Candygaming who posted about a manga series currently available for free on Bookwalker, so decided to read that :3

・Read Kono Oto Tomare vol 1
・Read one chapter of SAO 8. (p 49 → 59)

13 Likes

How did you find it? I might also have downloaded it when I saw it was free hahaha

3 Likes

I liked it! :3 Good story so far, pretty artwork, likable characters… Don’t want to spoil anything so… :caught_durtling: Will definitely read more :+1:

7 Likes

Summary

Today I read the first chapter of 鬼滅の刃 (have I mentioned that I’m terrible for reading too many things at a time?). I was pleasantly surprised for the first half chapter or so (it was a typical first chapter so a bit longer at 63 pages) that I only had to look up a few words per page….then a new character turned up where I had to look up pretty much every single word they said hahaha. This is a manga/anime that I’ve never read or seen and I’ve wanted to cos everyone loves it but am too stubborn to allow myself to watch or read it in English and have had it in my “too hard in Japanese right now” mental category for a while. which….who knows…maybe it will be but why not give it a shot!

I know there is a book club starting up on this soon. I probably won’t hold myself to the book club schedule as I’m reading too many things to book club schedules and kind of want to be able to move at my own pace but will be nice to be able to stop by on that :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Finished 1Q84 Book 1 yesterday, took me exactly a month to finish. Will probs start the next volume on Monday.

14 Likes

Main post

Day 24 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 4.
コーヒーが冷めないうちに , 3 pages.

The new Satori Reader series is great already; it’s only been 4 episodes but I’m already engaged :slight_smile: . Also I’m struggling a fair bit with the IBC book. I’ve only sat and read two times so it’s still very early, but it’s definitely a challenge. There are so many words I don’t know it’s quite overwhelming. But at the same time, I’m able to mine a lot of vocabulary just reading and fighting the text. It will get easier, I’m sure, but uhh does it feel uncomfortable ;-; I can only read 3 or 4 pages before I’m totally worn out, and it takes me a long time. I’m gonna fight it though.

13 Likes

Summary post

Day 24: June 24th
What did I read?: いつでもサメーズ
How much did I read?: 7 pages
How long did it take me?: 24 min

Not a lot of time or energy to read today…I have a feeling it’ll be like this for the next week or so, unfortunately. Crunch time at work. But I’ll try to keep reading something daily, even if it’s just a page or two. I’m moving pretty slowly in this book, but I’m kind of ok with it - the main reason I’m moving slowly is because I get curious about the holidays and want to look them up a little bit more (the other reason is that I’m painfully slow at using radical lookup on Jisho, but :sweat_smile:)

I think I accidentally celebrated this holiday today

Also learned about 五月病 (ごがつびょう) - blues experienced by college freshmen or workplace recruits shortly after beginning school or work; the May blues.
A word that makes absolutely no sense here in the U.S., but that just makes me like it more xD

15 Likes

I love this word! It’s right after the Golden Week holidays when you realize that there aren’t any national holidays until the end of July… and the feeling of excitement from the new business year has faded away.

Reading:
Finished 夜は猫といっしょ . Very cute! Very easy. I’ve never had a pet but I want a cat now…

13 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 25

I read chapter 12 of カラフル! Today was really nice to read. I forgot my pen and so I read the chapter without stopping to look up words. That, plus reading on the train, made the reading and story much more engaging. :train::books:

15 Likes

Main post

Today I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
11 Likes

Forbidden Scrollery, 90/153(58%). Started new chapter, yay!

10 Likes

Summary post
June 25 Short update

・Read Honzuki 5. (39% → 48%)
・Read SAO 8. (page 60 → 150)

12 Likes