📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Just searched for Asako on Anilist, looks interesting! If you read on your laptop/tablet/phone, you could always check free manga on bookwalker JP app (such as Kono oto tomare) or here (To your eternity or Sweat and Soap for example). There are also Japanese webmanga you can check out here (you can read ReLife for free here, all chapters I think).

5 Likes

Summary post
June 19

Finished SAO 7 :tada: :sparkles: (p.223 - 305) Good story. There were several times where I thought “hehe, what a cliché”, but I still enjoyed it. Learnt tons of new words, even on the very last page (which was 花弁(はなびら), “flower petal”), but have been a bit lazy with adding them to Koohi, so I’ll see if I can find them from search history. From counting the daily updates, it looks like it took me 11 days to complete this book, which definitely is a new personal record. Yay!

Doing this challenge has been really motivating so far, thanks to everyone who are participating and ganbaruing together in this thread :books: :durtle_love:

16 Likes

Well… currently trying to pick a next book-book to read - manga are fun, I learn a lot, but definitely different from reading longer text.

Haven’t really decided if I want to pick up the next magic tree house, or something else - so today I downloaded the sample chapter of 大きな森の小さな家 - read about half of the sample - 9-ish pages - it took…a while. I found it a bit harder to follow than Magic Tree house, but not as crushing as some samples I’ve picked up - Of course, helpful that I have a vague sense of the story, but tbh I always preferred the later books in English, so my recollection of this one is vague - I loved that the Japanese version started with a map showing where Wisconsin was and included a brief explanation of bears and panthers for the reader.

On the hunt for other book options - I’ve been browsing the Aoitori Bunko books - samples from those tend to be reasonably readable for me - but am having trouble deciding to invest in reading one when I don’t know if I’ll like it - In English I’d just pick it up and start and drop it if I hated it, but reading in Japanese feels like so much more of an investment. For now, I’m browsing Natively to get an idea of things that are at/near my level, and then working on figuring out what they’re about and whether I want to read them.

11 Likes

June 19. Time: 1 hour. Manga Pages: 6
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 8, Page 1-6.
Skipped yesterday due to social life happenning on Friday evening. Today reread the pages with looking up everything.

10 Likes

Main post

Day 19 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Episode 25.

Only two episodes left before choosing a new series. Also the new Intermediate Book Club book just started so I will be reading that as well. I will be prioritising it so I don’t fall behind but I’ll definitely try to keep using Satori Reader daily regardless.

10 Likes

Summary post

Day 19: June 19th
What did I read?: サメーズ :shark:
How much did I read?: 24 pages - finished the book (already :cry:)
How long did it take me?: 19 min

I should have been reading something else today, but you know, there are a lot of things I really should have been doing today that I didn’t do, so…at least I did something. I was supposed to be relaxing today so I could recharge for the week, but all I really did was stress over all the stuff I still need to do while simultaneous not doing any of it. Fun times.

Luckily the sharks did not let me down, when I finally got around to reading

This is my favorite shark of today and I don’t know why, he just has such a big mouth :pleading_face:

And while looking up his name in Jisho, I accidentally discovered this ridiculous vocab word:
姥捨て山 (うばすてやま):

1. mountain where old people were abandoned (according to legend) [what]
  2. position or division in a company to which an old and ineffective person is transferred [lol]
  3. women’s college (slang, derogatory, Meiji, Taisho period slang) [wow rude]

My other favorite thing of the day was the 4-koma in which the sharks pop out and surprise a surfer in the water, then proceed to steal his surfboard and surf away :joy:

This might be a weirdly specific recommendation, but I would honestly recommend this book for anyone who’s interested in learning more sea creature names in Japanese? Like there are lots of animal names in here that were new to me (or more specific than ones I’d seen before, like specific types of sharks etc), and they are all accompanied by adorable illustrations - what more could one ask for, really xD I love sea creatures, so it’s fun to get to see some of their names in Japanese and learn some little fun facts about them.

13 Likes

Wiki post

June 19 Update

Today was another 明日、私は誰かのカノジョ day, though I only managed about 20 pages since it’s been a long day. Only took about an hour to get through, not bad at all.

12 Likes

Read prologue yesterday and +4 pages of コーヒーが冷めないうちに from IBC, completed page 11. Maybe I’ll read more in the evening. Maybe not. I need to reach page 20, so it’ll take couple of days. There’s definitely a difficulty spike between BBC and IBC.

11 Likes

Have you played it?? I haven’t heard anything about it, but I’m really loving it!

log

Went to a bookstore and picked up a real book (推し、燃ゆ which I really want to read but don’t stand a chance in hell at understanding yet) along with 夜は猫といっしょ and100日後に死ぬワニ.

Aaaand I read half of 夜は猫といっしょ just because it’s cute and very very easy. I already read100日後に死ぬワニ when it was updating daily on twitter but it’s been over a year so I want to try rereading it all at once. It was fairly popular last year and I think it’s getting an anime movie?

11 Likes

Main post

Today I’ve read:

• Some more はたらく細胞 light novel. Reached page 75.
12 Likes

Well - reading done earlier than usual - woke up at 5:30 this morning and couldn’t go back to sleep, so I read for an hour. I have opened up ‘Love so Life’ vol 3. As manga go, it’s definitely more difficult than Yotsubato or Chi, but not too bad - some of the fonts are tricky to read, but that’s probably good practice. Plot wise - super, cute and fluffy, despite the frequent references to 中村さん’s mother dying when she was very young, her relatives not wanting her, and her being raised in an orphanage - you know, classic tragic backstory. Always leaves me with a little smile on my face.

11 Likes

Main Post

Just finished reading volume 8 of Yotsuba. It was a good volume, with some nice variety to it.

chapter 54

Festival was a nice lengthy chapter. Yotsuba worked hard here for the candy. She was pretty scared of the 天狗, which is good to know how tengu is written there.

chapter 55

Yotsuba got a good plan for eating which candy every day. I like they stop by the park to get some acorns and the dad gets into it as well, very wholesome chapter.

15 Likes

Did many things today, but it was mostly work and very little play.
Still managed 40 pages of 天冥の標 3 (so, only 470 to go…). Space combat! Wee! Also, we finally got the origin of a word that is used in part 1 (so 200 something years in the future, simulating language evolution… wait a minute the incident that led to the problems in volume 1 were from 200 years prior, so, now ?!? well, I think I know what this volume will be about)

11 Likes

I’m guessing for you, reading a novel in japanese would fall into the play category?

As for me, I am “keeping up”. I get my koohi reading done every day and 20 words + reviews but haven’t been doing much reading on the side (not that I have for a majority of my japanese studies, and its more of a recent thing anyways). Just finished the third and final (so far) book of the わたなれ series. Solid thumbs up from ya boi. Also a little over halfway done with the fourth volume of 妹さえいればいい and its better than I expected. Kinda lewd doe ngl (満更でもない)

Just pulled up my new book, カノうわ4 and see 一定期限恋人生活 on one of the pre text illustrations (idk what the actual name is), and goddamn. I mean, I don’t mind it particularly, but I feel like I’ve seen this so much that they just gotta make a whole 仮交際 genre or something.

9 Likes

Today is my one year anniversary on WaniKani so I pushed myself really hard the past couple of days to finish my very first light novel in Japanese by today! :jp: :books:
:confetti_ball: :tada: 名探偵コナン 紺青の拳 completed :confetti_ball: :tada:

Main

June 17
Read 16 pages of 名探偵コナン. Busy work day so read as much as I could after work.

June 18
Read 40 pages of 名探偵コナン. Started reading as soon as work finished and just tried to push myself to read as much as possible. Took a couple of small breaks in between. The part that was the most unclear to me from watching the movie happened to fall near the end of those 40 pages and since I was getting tired by the end I’m not certain I understood this part that much better this time around. :upside_down_face:

June 19
Read 48 pages of 名探偵コナン. Start of vacation so read コナン throughout the day with breaks in between. As with the day before I got tired during the last couple of pages which in turn means my comprehension wasn’t as good as usual. Still super proud of myself for being able to read this many pages in a day.

June 20
Read 23 pages of 名探偵コナン. Final day. I was super motivated and excited to finish the book. Decided to time myself again and this time it took 1h 42 minutes. There was a lot of dialogue near the end and two of the pages only had 2-4 lines of text which helped read these pages faster than normal. Still proud of myself!

I would never had even thought of pushing myself this hard if it weren’t for this challenge - once again, thank you everybody for your interesting and encouraging posts! :sparkling_heart:

17 Likes

Summary post
June 20

Read 2 parts of the last chapter of Subete ga F ni Naru. (94% → 97%) 2 parts left and probably atogaki. Was hoping I could finish the book today, but that didn’t happen. Will do tomorrow! Especially because of active book club thread :eyes:

(I tend to not look until I’m done with that week’s reading because of potential spoilers. Having unread threads bothers me, so I try my best to catch up sooner rather than later, hehe)

14 Likes

Ah, yes, that’s what I meant :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been reading 蜘蛛ですが、なにか? every day. Read 8 pages today and over 20 pages yesterday. Pretty interesting. 60/329 pages (18% done).

I’ve been a bit lazy on one hand and wanted to eliminate distractions, so I sit down with the book and a pencil and read. When there’s a word I don’t know or some grammar that doesn’t make sense to me I highlight it. So far there hasn’t been a case that I couldn’t understanding something at all, only that I missed some nuance or a detail. Also I noticed that if I don’t look up something right away I sometimes look at the kanji/vocab and realise I actually know them, just can’t easily recall.

And then when I’m done reading for the day I go over the read pages and look up the stuff I was really curious about.

I think I sped up considerably and can do around 10-12 pages per hour. I will try to read around 10 pages everyday.

13 Likes

June 20. Time: 45 min. Manga Pages: 4
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 8, Page 7-10.

9 Likes

Main post

Day 20 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Episodes 26 and 27 (finale).

End of the series. I ended up liking it quite a bit, I didn’t expect at all that it was going to have the development it had but it was a nice surprise. I’ll make sure to give it a reread some time in the near future to practice the things learned. I know they’re planning to release the option to listen to all of the episodes of the different series in one go; I hope they are able to do so soon, that would be amazing!

Starting a new series soon; if not tomorrow, then probably the day after.

12 Likes